Simulation Theory tour discussion

Jobby

Watching the IHeartradio-gig right now, and I don't know if anybody mentioned this before, but I really enjoyed Starlight!!! Did Matt play more guitar here than recently? They also enjoyed it a lot I think, was more Rock in it again! :D

Edited by Claudia O.

Watching the IHeartradio-gig right now, and I don't know if anybody mentioned this before, but I really enjoyed Starlight!!! Did Matt play more guitar here than recently? They also enjoyed it a lot I think, was more Rock in it again! :D

Where can you watch this gig online?

They’re been on general sale since yesterday morning. Pre-sales were earlier this week

I wonder how they're going to address how the album pre-order offer will work for the still unannounced shows in Chicago, LA, and NYC. I think those are the only shows announced for the incentive to pre-order the album that don't have dates yet.

Edited by halo eighteen
Didn't realize Bristol was canceled :(

Bit more optimistic for the tour next year (not that I was pessimistic before) after pushing through the disappointment, watching the Radio X interview and hearing Matt say the shows’ll be longer, around 2 hours, and that they want to pack in as much as possible - hence the medley. I was already expecting the playback to take a big drop back now that we’re away from Drones but hopefully that’ll settle some other people’s reservations too.

Bit more optimistic for the tour next year (not that I was pessimistic before) after pushing through the disappointment, watching the Radio X interview and hearing Matt say the shows’ll be longer, around 2 hours, and that they want to pack in as much as possible - hence the medley. I was already expecting the playback to take a big drop back now that we’re away from Drones but hopefully that’ll settle some other people’s reservations too.

I'm definitely interested to see how they do the medley(s).

Whether it's song that just fit together - throwing a verse or the bridge from Bliss into TDS for instance - or whether it's literally just going to be for example a Drop D 5 minute riff jam of thing likes Agitated, Stockholm, Yes Please, Repears etc with a verse and chorus thrown in.

I'm definitely interested to see how they do the medley(s).

Whether it's song that just fit together - throwing a verse or the bridge from Bliss into TDS for instance - or whether it's literally just going to be for example a Drop D 5 minute riff jam of thing likes Agitated, Stockholm, Yes Please, Repears etc with a verse and chorus thrown in.

Sounds like it’s just the one, and like Matt might already have it mapped out. “I’ve come up with this metal medley, which is basically like all of our heavy tracks combined into like 15 minutes of just a blitz. So, give everyone all the riffs they wanna hear.”

By the sounds of it, Psycho won’t be in there like I thought ‘cos Matt also talked about keeping that one around proper. So, yeah, I’d imagine some (not quite ‘all’) from: Stockholm, Assassin, New Born, Agitated, Yes Please, Micro Cuts, Dead Star, Hyper Music, Reapers, The Handler, MK Ultra, Who Knows Who, Execution Commentary.

Whatever it ends up being, it won’t be as good as one or two of those songs done in full.

Idk, in all honesty. It’s just an example but, at this point, I think I might rather see something like the post-New Born medley at SBE or post-Stockholm medley at La Cigale than, say, a full Stockholm. Hearing the same one night after night could become a chore though, if it really is 15 minutes.

I imagine we're still getting Isolated System and maybe even Unsustainable. Not sure if another D&B jam too.

I'm also intrigued if the B-stage means a revival of the stuff done on the Unsustainable Tour, and what would be used for that.

… hopefully not yet more Guiding Light.

Whatever it ends up being, it won’t be as good as one or two of those songs done in full.

Yeah I agree with that. Particularly this idea of it being 15 minutes, given the length of that exceeds The Globalist.

I imagine we're still getting Isolated System and maybe even Unsustainable. Not sure if another D&B jam too.

Those are just instrumental songs tbf, jam aside, and the same as what we were getting on the Unsustainable tour. Not as comparable as Drones x2, JFK, Drill Sgt., NKOK and, to an extent, Prelude with Drones.

This offers absolutely nothing to this thread or your lives but I had an idea that I fell in love with

Basically I was just watching some Mac Demarco clip on YT and the visuals he uses for a lot of his shows is just a big video of footage from an pixel-y game called Earthbound. I’d forgotten about it and ended up considering doing something similar with my TV next time I’m playing music to set the mood a bit, with all these ST vibes atm. Then I guess some dots connected in my head between the old Stockholm visuals and how it all actually fits pretty dead on with ST’s specific video game-y influences and I got this image in my mind of the stadium tour having one big main screen showing custom 80s style pixel art video game visuals specific to each song through the whole gig. Each song mocked up as a different level number (‘Level 3: Map Of The Problematique’), the band and Big Terry as characters, nods to old videos, different game genres depending on the vibe and even mini loading screens as the band switch instruments. You could even have neat 4th wall-ish moments like bringing back a form of the roulette by showing a level list that’s randomly being scrolled through before settling on something or where the game ‘crashes’ as the band play an unplanned song that doesn’t have visuals. It’d take a lot of work for an artist, depending on how many songs were in rotation, but maybe a doable amount. Idk, like I said, not much substance to this, just an idea I really took to.

Edited by Jobby

Sounds like it’s just the one, and like Matt might already have it mapped out. “I’ve come up with this metal medley, which is basically like all of our heavy tracks combined into like 15 minutes of just a blitz. So, give everyone all the riffs they wanna hear.”

Ugh.

I think having heard the versions since (as that was the first one live), it's only got better and better. That version is very loose and Matt seems to struggle with the timing on the guitar stabs, which leaves a lot of dead space in the sound at times. It's def a good performance, but I think it's definitely got plenty of room to improve.

Looks like a fair chunk of that gig's been broadcast too, just found PiB. Really nice version of that too imo. Sounds like they're done some work on the backing vocals in the chorus to make them really stand out. Dunno if it's backing or some other witchcraft. You can hear it in the first chorus quite clearly. Matt's voice does give up a bit right at the end though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQgcCyqjmgc