Simulation Theory tour discussion

Jobby

Setlist is definitely an improvement over the last US arena tour.  Would have liked a few more deep cuts but oh well.  Shame that there won't be much moshing during the medley since everyone will be distracted by the giant robot. 

Edited by Luigi.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:50 AM, Jobby said:

Aw that’s shite man. Is there no one online you could tag along with either? Sucks to miss out ‘cos of that :(

I'm friends with some international Musers, but no Germans. But at least my sister should come back from Australia next year, so I'll have my best gig buddy back.

So TAB has finally been lowered 💔 probs a long time coming, tho it still sounds dope tbf. That tapping before the guitar drop needs to stay forever

Haven’t found the jam yet, anyone got a link?

Edited by Jobby

There's something about these medleys, especially the new jam, that feels like they're just speedrunning their early career. I'm conflicted in that I like getting snippets of good and rare songs but also it feels like such a cheap presentation of these songs.

• Like 2

Just heard the jam. So it’s a mini Futurism - US - Micro Cuts medley? Random-ish choices but ok, I’d have preferred something new and electronic though tbh, like an evolution of MK Jam or something.

That said, I don’t mind the medley stuff. For the most part, these are songs that’d never see the light of day, especially over there. A nod to them is better than nowt imo and it’s almost a natural evolution of them filling out the set with cover riffs anyway.

2 hours ago, Jobby said:

Just heard the jam. So it’s a mini Futurism - US - Micro Cuts medley? Random-ish choices but ok, I’d have preferred something new and electronic though tbh, like an evolution of MK Jam or something.

That said, I don’t mind the medley stuff. For the most part, these are songs that’d never see the light of day, especially over there. A nod to them is better than nowt imo and it’s almost a natural evolution of them filling out the set with cover riffs anyway.

I'm not really sold on that, in fact. The transition between the riffs is very abrupt. But, well, it's always nice to hear more of the old material, even if it's just a snippet.

Think we could well be seeing the return of Unsus tour length sets once they hit stadiums if they’re already doing 2 hours of 19 full songs, a 15 minute medley and 4 interludes, on top of the other little intros and outros. Except this time the album’s 1000x better.

Ah if only I could be arsed to go back through months and months of posts to where I said I thought sets could be a fair amount longer with how short ST is and everyone doubted me 😎

at least resistance wasn’t played. 

and contrary to matt’s thinking, the crowd reacted decently well when snippets of older songs were played. 

and i agree about the speedrunning through their career bit. and not just re: the medleys. the whole gig felt like a race to the finish line, with very little let-up and a whole lot of insane stage production that almost overtakes the music at times.

which is exactly what i expected. 

Which one is it then, though? ‘Cos with Drones the criticism was that they weren’t doing enough with the time they had, and now it’s that they’re doing too much and rushing. They’ve always been the kind of band to shut up and get on with it and, with such an elaborate production, they’ll have had to keep things v tight timing-wise. I think the fact they’re squeezing so much in is great, they’ve really listened and tried their best to fill the set out with more of their own stuff imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jobby said:

Which one is it then, though? ‘Cos with Drones the criticism was that they weren’t doing enough with the time they had, and now it’s that they’re doing too much and rushing. They’ve always been the kind of band to shut up and get on with it and, with such an elaborate production, they’ll have had to keep things v tight timing-wise. I think the fact they’re squeezing so much in is great, they’ve really listened and tried their best to fill the set out with more of their own stuff imo.

16 minutes ago, Jobby said:

i’m on board with them cramming more in, it just needs to be crammed with a better mix of material. and i’m used to/enjoy an elaborate production, but there is just SO much going on all over the place...all the time...it’s hard to know where/at what to look at times. 

EDIT: still getting used to the new forum interface, lol. 

Edited by frutiger75

1 hour ago, iLikeCorvettes said:

Matt said it’s a song he wrote for a “popular tv show” and that it’ll be released in April. People are speculating either black mirror or game of thrones

Pretty sure it's for Stranger Things, what with the entire show basically being a rip off of the TV show and the setlist including two instrumentals of the theme song, I believe? lol. The show doesn't look as awful as I thought it would but then again maybe they're saving most of the dramatic dancing and performances for Europe, who knows. Pray is awesome though, getting such strong Abso vibes from interludes they played on that tour like TAB etc. The falsetto gave me chills

27 minutes ago, hyper_chondriac_muser said:

Pretty sure it's for Stranger Things, what with the entire show basically being a rip off of the TV show and the setlist including two instrumentals of the theme song, I believe? 

Could be. I did see a couple of other people mention Stranger Things but it’s all speculation at this point. However there is the Kyle Lambert connection which could point at Muse working with Stranger Things for a while on this. As far as black mirror goes, the only connection would be that Matt has talked about liking that show several times during interviews 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyper_chondriac_muser said:

Pretty sure it's for Stranger Things, what with the entire show basically being a rip off of the TV show and the setlist including two instrumentals of the theme song, I believe? lol. The show doesn't look as awful as I thought it would but then again maybe they're saving most of the dramatic dancing and performances for Europe, who knows. Pray is awesome though, getting such strong Abso vibes from interludes they played on that tour like TAB etc. The falsetto gave me chills

Stranger Things premiere date is July 4th.

2 hours ago, Clunge said:

Should be Starlight > TaB though, ofc.

Either would work imo, hard to choose. One the one hand, TAB’s a godly electro-rock behemoth that’s always a perfect climax but, on the other, Starlight coming after is a sweet mini recreation of the Black Holes transition and it’s nice to end on a more laid back classic while Matt greets the crowd.

I’m assuming he did a barrier walk in Houston? My stream crashed out by then.

So this set, how can we fix it? This is how with minimal changes:

Algorithm (Alt. Reality)

[Drill Sergeant] + Psycho

Pressure

Break It To Me

Uprising

Propaganda

Plug In Baby

[Pray]

The Dark Side

Supermassive Black Hole

Interlude + Hysteria

Map Of The Problematique

Dig Down (Gospel)

[Interstitial]

[Houston Jam]

Dead Inside

Starlight

Time Is Running Out

Bliss (Ext.)

Take A Bow / Knights Of Cydonia

-----

Algorithm

Medley

Knights Of Cydonia / Take A Bow

It could definitely do with a few more songs so maybe split the medley out into three full songs (Dead Star / New Born / Stockholm / Assassin / Handler, etc) and do that as it's own encore with some riffs and then come back for Algorithm  and TaB/Knights.