The Dark Side

smoledman

For as horrifically bad SH, DD, & to some extent TC are, this song is the complete opposite. I haven't been this obsessed over a Muse song in some time.

It's exactly what I had been hoping for with this Muse 80s style they've been trying to do.

Vocals are basically Dead Inside mixed with Micro Cuts :love:

Also, Panic Station immediately after Dark Side is an incredible combo imo.

Vocals remind me more of Exogenesis part 1 than Micro Cuts. A really vital part of MC's sound for me is the slight distortion of the vocals.

Edit. another edition to the 'sounds like' list

Edited by Tim59

Comparisons made to Muse songs:

Assassin, Bliss, Darkshines, Dead Inside, Easily, Endlessly, Eternally Missed, Exogenesis: Overture, Fillip, Forced In, Madness, Map of the Problematique, Micro Cuts, Panic Station, Plug In Baby, Showbiz, Space Dementia, Take A Bow, The Gallery

Comparisons made to other songs/artists/stuff:

Night Ranger - Sister Christian, Gorillaz - Stylo, Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill, CHVRCHES - Lies, Pink Floyd, Ultravox, La Roux, Tron, Retrowave/Synthwave.

Comparisons made to Muse ALBUMS:

Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, The Resistance, The 2nd Law.

Other:

"Sounds almost Indian"

Popcorn. Add popcorn.

:LOL::LOL:. Those are an awful lot of comparisons. Some vocal deliveries remind me of Darkshines though.

Agree about the production not being really good, but I'm not really a fan of Muse's albums production generally.

Even BH&R, which is my favourite Muse album, is not particularly good. Well, it's actually pretty bad :LOL:

Edited by topo_musero

Comparisons made to Muse songs:

Assassin, Bliss, Darkshines, Dead Inside, Easily, Endlessly, Eternally Missed, Exogenesis: Overture, Fillip, Forced In, Madness, Map of the Problematique, Micro Cuts, Panic Station, Plug In Baby, Showbiz, Space Dementia, Take A Bow, The Gallery

Comparisons made to other songs/artists/stuff:

Night Ranger - Sister Christian, Gorillaz - Stylo, Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill, CHVRCHES - Lies, Pink Floyd, Ultravox, La Roux, Tron, Retrowave/Synthwave.

Comparisons made to Muse ALBUMS:

Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, The Resistance, The 2nd Law.

Other:

"Sounds almost Indian"

I mentioned this earlier, but 1:19 in The Dark Side reminds me a lot of 1:43 in Glorious.

I actually did think of that part in Glorious when I heard it though, I wasn't looking for comparisons.

As of now I like this better than everything on Drones except Dead Inside and The Handler, without question.

Yeah, me too. I'd put it in a Drones B-tier with Revolt/Reapers. Might prefer this one a bit more though.

And, yes, I still love Revolt :LOL:

I actually did think of that part in Glorious when I heard it though, I wasn't looking for comparisons.

As of now I like this better than everything on Drones except Dead Inside and The Handler, without question.

I’m glad that so many people still think DI and TH are the gold class Muse off that album. They can stand up against anything in their entire catalog imo so I agree 100%. But a lot of times fans love a song at release and by next album cycle people think it’s average.

I’m glad that so many people still think DI and TH are the gold class Muse off that album. They can stand up against anything in their entire catalog imo so I agree 100%. But a lot of times fans love a song at release and by next album cycle people think it’s average.

I can still listen to those 2 and get chills. They're nothing alike, but what they have in common that is a major reason they're so great is Matt's emotional delivery. That's the biggest difference in what separates a lot of "old Muse" and "new Muse."

I hear the chords of course but it's that unison that gets me. It does sound like guitar (especially considering the solo) but it's a weird mix where the synth already sounds guitar like and the guitar sounds synth like. Wanna see how it works live.