The Dark Side

smoledman

Stylo by Gorillaz. That’s the vibe I’ve been getting but I just couldn’t put my finger on it y’day.

speaking of, i suspect this one will keep morgan fairly engaged.

comes across as very TRON-y to me -- which ain't all bad at this juncture, really.

Can someone compile a list of songs that The Dark Side sounds like?

Comparisons made to Muse songs:

Assassin, Bliss, Darkshines, Dead Inside, Easily, Endlessly, Eternally Missed, Exogenesis: Overture, Fillip, Forced In, Glorious, Madness, Map of the Problematique, Micro Cuts, Panic Station, Plug In Baby, Popcorn (cover I know), Showbiz, Space Dementia, Take A Bow, The Gallery

Comparisons made to other songs/artists/stuff:

Night Ranger - Sister Christian, Gorillaz - Stylo, Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill, CHVRCHES - Lies, Pink Floyd, Ultravox, La Roux, Tron, Retrowave/Synthwave.

Comparisons made to Muse ALBUMS:

Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, The Resistance, The 2nd Law.

Other:

"Sounds almost Indian"

Edited by Tjet

Micro Cuts, Space Dementia, Assassin, Darkshines, Bliss, Fillip, Map of the Problematique, Take A Bow, Panic Station, The Gallery, Madness, Eternally Missed, Plug In Baby, Easily, and Endlessly.

Comparisons made to other songs/artists/stuff:

Night Ranger - Sister Christian, Gorillaz - Stylo, Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill, CHVRCHES - Lies, Pink Floyd, Ultravox, La Roux, Tron.

Comparisons made to Muse ALBUMS:

Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations, The Resistance, The 2nd Law.

Other:

"Sounds almost Indian"

I'm glad I can still count on you.

Fantastic track, definitely gonna be in my top list for the next 3 years !

The solo still sounds really strange though.

So far TDS>TC>.....SH>DD for me.

On a side note, is it me or Matt is (kinda) trying to emulate the cry of a werewolf at the beginning of the song, hence the story of him changing into a werewolf ?

Assassin, Bliss, Darkshines, Easily, Endlessly, Eternally Missed, Fillip, Forced In, Madness, Map of the Problematique, Micro Cuts, Panic Station, Plug In Baby, Space Dementia, Take A Bow, The Gallery

It's funny because if Matt or a journalist would use these songs to describe TDS I don't think anyone would've guessed correctly what it sounds like.

love this track! Of the 4 released over the last while for Simulation Theory - this is the first one that has been great from the original listen and not a grower XD best one so far!

Also get a very Thor: Ragnarok feeling from it too - both film Soundtrack and the video kind of reminds me the beginning of the film with Surtur and the dragon chasing him! It's well cool. I also get a Blade Runner kinda vibe from it too, along with lots of nice throwbacks to old Muse tunes :-D

So, going back to when Matt said that TDS had ‘connections to past songs’, does anyone have any ideas? Lyrically, I can’t see any direct references or callbacks. Obvs Matt loosely compared the sound to Map which I can see. I’m wondering if the lyrics as a whole are referencing the times when he used to write from a more negative, dark place and maybe wants to get away from that now.

Damn I thought for sure when I came on here I would see everyone dragging this song mercilessly....it's so.....well. I personally found it flat and repetitive.

Honestly same, I’m surprised how universally praised it’s been straight away. I’m into it though.

Edited by Jobby