The Dark Side

smoledman

Yeah the verses are amazing. I love when Matt uses that more soft falsetto a lot (like in the old days), and with his voice declining I was really hoping that would be prominent on this album. I really like the song, especially considering I was expecting a heavy rock track. Like others have said, this feels like a natural evolution in their sound and much more fresh.

One thing I will say is the ending would have benefited a lot from Dom going crazier and harder on the toms. I'm really hoping they let him let loose a little more on some tracks.

Dom’s drumming has been kinda flat for a few records now tbh. His emulating trap stuff in TC was interesting though I guess.

Even then though I felt it was so low in the mix that it barely has any impact. The thing is, I feel like Dom probably would love to do more intricate stuff sometimes but I have a feeling Matt sort of holds him back sometimes, thinking it doesn't sound as good. I don't know that, I just get that idea from watching the "making of" videos, and just knowing Dom likes drumming the complex songs the best.

As a drummer myself, it's just disappointing because it feels like he isn't as important of a member anymore. I know he does handle a lot of the synth sounds and stuff like that behind the scenes though. But just in terms of drumming. It used to feel like all 3 of them were always making a huge impact in any given song.

Anybody noticed the eerie backing vocals on the second verse? It's like a really soft yet sinister whisper, and it makes the song ten times more empowering. Love it so much.

I'm also really glad the album was put up for pre-order today rather than in a month's time. Been anxious to pre-order that Deluxe edition for ages.

How the hell does no one talk about the fact that this is the first song of this cylcle to contain actual A4's by Matt (and yeah i'm not really counting those chants in TC).

Fucking great vocal performance and the song contains so many tidbits akin to several of their great songs (Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, MOTP, Dead Inside in terms of vocals, etc etc).

Even then though I felt it was so low in the mix that it barely has any impact. The thing is, I feel like Dom probably would love to do more intricate stuff sometimes but I have a feeling Matt sort of holds him back sometimes, thinking it doesn't sound as good. I don't know that, I just get that idea from watching the "making of" videos, and just knowing Dom likes drumming the complex songs the best.

As a drummer myself, it's just disappointing because it feels like he isn't as important of a member anymore. I know he does handle a lot of the synth sounds and stuff like that behind the scenes though. But just in terms of drumming. It used to feel like all 3 of them were always making a huge impact in any given song.

I feel the complete opposite. Dom, in interviews, has given me the impression that he enjoys playing the simpler stuff. And we must have heard different things because I've heard he prefers to avoid stuff like Assassin because of how tired he gets.

LOLWUT :LOL:

Well it's a lot more accurate than Micro Cuts and some of the other comparisons being made!

I feel the complete opposite. Dom, in interviews, has given me the impression that he enjoys playing the simpler stuff. And we must have heard different things because I've heard he prefers to avoid stuff like Assassin because of how tired he gets.

I just know he used to always say Stockholm was his favorite song to play live because the drumming is really fun.

The more I listen to The Dark Side the more I want him to just do some fast tom work at the end. Feel like it'd really just push it over the top, in a good way.

This does sound very much in the vein of OoS-Abso-BHAR, maybe playing Fury, Glorious, Easily and those other b-sides a year ago helped them come back to their senses!

This is the best song from the new album so far, and yes, it's definitely better than 93% of Drones. I had been hoping for them to go back to something akin toT2L-TR, those albums sounded more genuine than the forced "hard rock" sound of Drones; I think it paid off.

Btw, I've already listened TDS more times today than I have listened to Something Human in a month.

I love how people shit on Drones when we get a decent track thrown our way. Drones has plenty of fantastic and classic cuts

I love Reapers, Dead Inside and the Handler, but that album had some horrible horrible mixing. Even the movie concert had terrible audio EQ as well. Anyway, it could've been a loop of Guiding Lights.