The Dark Side

smoledman

Easily better than everything except The Handler on Drones for me (that's a fairly low bar, admittedly) - but possibly also the best genuine attempt at trying to *evolve* their sound since Black Holes. Algorithm into this and Pressure sounds like a pretty interesting start to an album to me! Will be curious to see the track length of The Void. Only bought the standard editions of albums in the past but have taken a punt on the super deluxe package this time because of the extra remixes providing more value for money - fingers crossed :)

For as horrifically bad SH, DD, & to some extent TC are, this song is the complete opposite. I haven't been this obsessed over a Muse song in some time.

It's exactly what I had been hoping for with this Muse 80s style they've been trying to do.

Vocals are basically Dead Inside mixed with Micro Cuts :love:

Also, Panic Station immediately after Dark Side is an incredible combo imo.

I really like the song, at the moment I still prefer Something human but I only listened to it twice now ;)

It reminds me of so much 80s music, I can hear Miami Vice-title melody (drums), Neverending story by Limahl, operatic sewuences like in Phantom of the opera, kinda (falsettos), amd yes OOS-times :D

I enjoyed the video, and I love the album art :D

1 Thought contagion

2 Something human/Dark side ( not sure!)

4 Dig down

Edit: long time ago so many members were online at once.

image.thumb.png.5367549f73feb536d56fda34efd48722.png

Edited by Claudia O.

Took them 4 goes to make a decent song with this 'sound' but fair enough. It's like a fatter Dead Inside. Not keen on the cover though. Seeing their big mugs on the front is just.... i dunno it reads all sorts of wrong. Hopefully they announce some shows though ASAP because that's really what it's all about for me with Muse now.

Womp. Now THAT is far more like it. Really liked that - only minor quibbles is the solo has six, err, 'rounds' rather than eight so the chorus comes back in quite abruptly, the 'save me from the dark side' refrain at the end doesn't quite bookend the song which is a little anticlimactic, and the actual instrumentation doesn't build quite as massively right at the end as I hoped.

But they're minor quibbles compared with the major problems I still have with TC and DD. SH is just, well, fine'ish.

MK Ultra with a bit of extra synthing up would fit a treat on this album.

The 2nd Law had some fun live songs that could fit into this era well. Would like to see Survival come back.

Would love to see a change up on this tour, things like Panic Station and Survival getting a heavy rotation, MoTP instead of Resistance ( if I have to see resistance live one more time I might have a breakdown)

Also I think it’s time for the TiRO...to end

I like the song overall but part of me thinks our standards have been lowered. If this is the synth rock Motp-like song then it doesn’t compare. I didn’t think I would but still.

Am I alone on thinking that although this is ok-good, next to MOTP this is a pile of shit?

I’ll stress I didn’t expect it to compare or top it because motp is a top ten all time Muse song imo.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Right when I was ready to give up on this album cycle...

When the band discussed influences for the record, I always imagined something a lot more like this. The vocal harmonies, the progressions and melodies... Its muse's old-school sense of melody wrapped in the 80s stuff and the synth wave outrun stuff. I like it a lot, and much much more than the other singles.actually,strongest muse single in quite a while, imo.

Ofc, I'm now fully expecting this to be amongst the top 2 of the album, and I'm mentally preparing for the rest to be bollocks.

I like the song overall but part of me thinks our standards have been lowered. If this is the synth rock Motp-like song then it doesn’t compare. I didn’t think I would but still.

Am I alone on thinking that although this is ok-good, next to MOTP this is a pile of shit?

I’ll stress I didn’t expect it to compare or top it because motp is a top ten all time Muse song imo.

I'd argue MOTP is way more repetitive than this new one, and what makes it stand out is mainly its particular sound.

Shortly speaking, to me it's quite overrated, aside from its lyrics.

Best thing they've done in a long time! Very MotP with a more '80s feel that plays into the early-computer game, Sci-fi vibe. A vibe that's been sorely missing from their last few albums.

For me, it's only a good middle 8/pre-chorus bridge for variety (maybe with a cool riff) away from being up there with classic Muse. And even then, it's still pretty good. Surprisingly impressed!

I guess the Map thing just came from the electronic/rock fusion, though each sways way more towards one than the other. He did add a whopping two ‘ish’s in that comparison though tbf. Maybe the driving, beefy synth line reminded him of what he was trying to simulate w/ the Whammy back then.

Quality-wise it’s nowhere near Map but v little of their discography is soooo