Pressure (single)

iLikeCorvettes

Every Muse fan should listen to the album it’s on, Octavarium. Not only is it (imo) DT’s best album, it is so Musey. Never Enough and These Walls have the riffs, crazy synths and arpeggios and big choruses, Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack are dark, heavy, riffy Muse, Sacrified Sons is a big political epic with 2nd Law-esque samples, Answer Lies Within is a big cheesy piano ballad, and Octavarium is Exogenesis meets CE meets Globalist sorta thing.

It’s just a really Musey album not just in sound, but feel. Reminds me of New Born, Dead Star, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, B&H, Take A Bow, Assassin, City Of Delusion, MK Ultra, Exogenesis, Unsustainable/Isolated System, Reapers, Handler, Globalist, etc

Weird seeing this as I was rediscovering this album today. Funny enough, while Octavarium is held in high regard among muse fans (myself included), I remember a lot of the hardcore DT fanbase (especially musicians) sorta trashing it when it was released. Bar some of the monster tracks like the title one, I remember all the complaining about the riffy/hooky/power chord nature of a good chunk of it.

I still love those songs, even though they start to feel a little dated now (a lot of heavy stuff from that period seems to be meeting the same fate). Some Muse fans might also enjoy the follow up one, which was still quite riffy, but dark in a different way than Octavarium was. Then Portnoy jumped out of the boat and I lost interest. Jeez, that was kinda long ago.

Anyhow, the DNA of that record really comes from muse. As a dumb teen I actually found it before any muse album, and only much later I would find that there was this deliberate inspiration. Finally made it click for me as to why I was so inclined to Octavarium, while only being mild towards a lot of what was regarded as classical DT.

Oh as for the new Muse single... Refusing to get hyped for this album cycle. This sounds promising, so I'm fully expecting to be underwhelmed.

Edited by s3ker

True but, yeah, basically it defo wouldn’t be my first thought. If anything, it wouldn’t surprise me if Matt thinks ‘classic Muse’ is something like Mercy tbh.

Just about what I was thinking. Judging from their setlists, "classic Muse" would appear to include Starlight, SMBH, Resistance, Madness etc.

Just about what I was thinking. Judging from their setlists, "classic Muse" would appear to include Starlight, SMBH, Resistance, Madness etc.

If/when they ever do an official greatest hits album, those will all be on there and Citizen Erased probably won't. So yeah, those are classic Muse as far as history will be concerned.

Which isn’t technically wrong of him tbf, I’m just warning against making assumptions on that alone ‘cos Matt’s definition of ‘classic Muse’ probs isn’t the same as most of ours (which I feel like we’ve seen examples of before w/ descriptions but I cannae remember). Think he also said it’s a sound ‘most people know us for’ and we’re not most people if we’re realistic.

The fact that he’s also said it has riffs might at least make it safe to assume it’s harder than a Mercy or Starlight, but god knows how much or little.

I’m excited (for everything), just wouldn’t draw too much from that phrase specifically rn.

Which isn’t technically wrong of him tbf, I’m just warning against making assumptions on that alone ‘cos Matt’s definition of ‘classic Muse’ probs isn’t the same as most of ours (which I feel like we’ve seen examples of before w/ descriptions but I cannae remember). Think he also said it’s a sound ‘most people know us for’ and we’re not most people if we’re realistic.

The fact that he’s also said it has riffs might at least make it safe to assume it’s harder than a Mercy or Starlight, but god knows how much or little.

I’m excited (for everything), just wouldn’t draw too much from that phrase specifically rn.

Good points.

Hm...classic Muse in Matt's eyes that also has riffs...

Well, the GH3 crowd would point immediately to KoC, but then SMBH is definitely a riff based song...but I'd be happy with anything in-between those so I'm staying optimistic.

Every Muse fan should listen to the album it’s on, Octavarium. Not only is it (imo) DT’s best album, it is so Musey. Never Enough and These Walls have the riffs, crazy synths and arpeggios and big choruses, Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack are dark, heavy, riffy Muse, Sacrified Sons is a big political epic with 2nd Law-esque samples, Answer Lies Within is a big cheesy piano ballad, and Octavarium is Exogenesis meets CE meets Globalist sorta thing.

It’s just a really Musey album not just in sound, but feel. Reminds me of New Born, Dead Star, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, B&H, Take A Bow, Assassin, City Of Delusion, MK Ultra, Exogenesis, Unsustainable/Isolated System, Reapers, Handler, Globalist, etc

idk exactly why this thread took on such a DT-centric theme, but i have to agree in part: a retrospective listen to octavarium as a whole was beyond re-enlightening. never enough (into) sacrificed sons, in particular, is almost as musey as it gets. and there are plenty of other bits & pieces from octavarium that are so quintessentially musey as well.

i've always been an images & words guy (w/ a sprinkle of ytse) -- and completely discarded octavarium back in the day -- but upon revisiting octavarium for the first time in a good, long while...i have to wonder if that album was on in background during the recording process of drones. it's almost as if drones is a truncated kaleidoscope of that album.

the parallels are too significant to ignore.

• 4 weeks later...
Matt says the song "Pressure" will answer "in multiple ways" about the pressure he feels to make new rock songs. Are y'all expecting something heavier from this song or something like the three songs we've gotten so far?

Great job! I already speak Matthew will see classic rock from Muse:D

• 1 month later...

I’m trapped and my back’s up against the wall

I see no solution or exit out

I’m grinding it out, no one can see

The pressure’s growing exponentially

I’m trying to keep up to speed with you

Your need/You and me changing is oscillating me

I’m hitting the ground and I’m sprinting

I’m falling behind now, I’m checking out

Pressure building, pressure building

Don’t push me, don’t push me

Let me get off the ground

To you, I’m no longer bound

Don’t stop me, don’t choke me

I need you out of my head

You’ve got me close to the edge

I’m feeling the pressure, I can’t break out

No one can hear me scream and shout

Get out of my face, out of my mind

I see your corruption, I’m not blind

I’ll carry this burden and take this train

And when I’m done, I will make you pay

Pressure building

Don’t cut(?) me, don’t thwart me

Don’t stop me, don’t block me

yeesh matt tell us how ya really feel

(this should mean a release v soon though, right? thought it’d be another couple of weeks but maybe not)

I find it kinda sad reading tbh. With a quiet frontman like Matt who’s only ever really laughed/shrugged off fan pressure when it’s been rarely brought up to him, it’s easy to assume he’s fine with it all and doesn’t care. I think this is the first time we’ve ever really seen beyond that and heard the reality that, shock, he’s human and it does get to him. The line about grinding it out and no one knowing is a particular oof imo.

I find it kinda sad reading tbh. With a quiet frontman like Matt who’s only ever really laughed/shrugged off fan pressure when it’s been rarely brought up to him, it’s easy to assume he’s fine with it all and doesn’t care. I think this is the first time we’ve ever really seen beyond that and heard the reality that, shock, he’s human and it does get to him. The line about grinding it out and no one knowing is a particular oof imo.

It really is. I'm looking forward to hearing the angst in the song, but not so much the emotional jolt from it. :LOL:

I do feel bad for Muse, and any artist for that matter, having to deal with a constant barrage of fan criticism. Even if a song is "mediocre" in our eyes, it still took a lot of time and energy from the band to create. Putting out anything you've spent a lot of time on, only to have it panned would be pretty soul crushing to me.

At the same time, I wonder if the Muse machine in general is becoming too much, maybe it's time to just walk away from it all? Just like any job-- once the pressure outweighs the love of the work, then it's probably time to let go. Selfishly, I hope that it doesn't happen, but I'd rather have organic output and not something forced out with little joy.

Even if a song is "mediocre" in our eyes, it still took a lot of time and energy from the band to create. Putting out anything you've spent a lot of time on, only to have it panned would be pretty soul crushing to me.

This is something I've come to really internalize in the past years especially as I remember my main passion for music started as a participant rather than a listener. I like the creation of art and I like seeing people enjoy creating their own even if it's not for me. Just more people having fun making things I consider a positive.

I've come to have a hard time calling something truly terrible unless I'm shitposting or something. I try to word it as something just "not working for me" or being constructive on things I think could be improved upon. If someone did put their heart into something I find it hard to just go and hate it. I do keep imagining I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of that.

Maybe it's too optimistic, but it's been working fine for me. I have no intention of becoming a critic.

This is something I've come to really internalize in the past years especially as I remember my main passion for music started as a participant rather than a listener. I like the creation of art and I like seeing people enjoy creating their own even if it's not for me. Just more people having fun making things I consider a positive.

I've come to have a hard time calling something truly terrible unless I'm shitposting or something. I try to word it as something just "not working for me" or being constructive on things I think could be improved upon. If someone did put their heart into something I find it hard to just go and hate it. I do keep imagining I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of that.

Maybe it's too optimistic, but it's been working fine for me. I have no intention of becoming a critic.

You're a great person. Not joking.

Goddammit, that's sweet and I hate you. Not really, just a tiny a bit. You're trying to take my grumpiness away from me, when I think my feeing is justified. I mean, Matt could have just said how he feels earlier! Like, Matt, don't get bitchy with me - how was I supposed sympathize, when you don't let us know your feelings?!