"It's time to admit you love Muse" in GQ, July 5 '18

Claudia O

If someone would actually dismiss or shame me for saying Muse is my favorite band I don't think I'd like to converse much with them anyways. If someone tells me they love an artist I don't I either just let that pass or hear them out, since their justification might give me a new perspective.

I don't know who I'd consider my favorite band now anyways. Muse doesn't connect with me a lot anymore but they have so much in the past I can't ignore that, so they'll eventually come up in music talk.

If anyone ever asks me for my favourite bands, I never, ever, ever say Muse :LOL:

I've reached the point of just saying Old Muse at the end of the list to be honest. Most people understand. :chuckle:

Sadly I'm used to being looked at with disbelieve and rolling eyes for my fave bands/singers for ages: Simply Red ,Whitney Houston, George Michael, early Björk, early Radiohead.. when I discovered Muse for me I thought they are widely respected tbh, but no...:(

Somehow I seem to fall for "special" bands/artists, or - I very much prefer this - for very talented artists, not mainstream, and only some hardcores see their big potential, creativity, Genuises ... Like I do :D the others are just jealous :LOL:

Almost nailed it.

But then he went on to love Revolt after calling Undisclosed Desires embarrassing.

But that's still details, I'm sending this one to my girlfriend, maybe she'll finally understand.

tbf, I think he was just referring to how utterly embarrassing the video was for UD, not the song itself.

And outside of "hardcore" Muse circles, Revolt was actually very well liked, especially critically.

I don't feel like I care if people shame me, so much as I have an image of myself that I like and try to project. Maybe those are the same, I don't know...

It's not just Muse, either, I keep most of my shameful tastes to myself in person.

Sadly I'm used to being looked at with disbelieve and rolling eyes for my fave bands/singers for ages: Simply Red ,Whitney Houston, George Michael, early Björk, early Radiohead.. when I discovered Muse for me I thought they are widely respected tbh, but no...:(

I think a lot of people are music snobs in the sense that they feel they can only like bands that are 'approved' by certain people/media (I think Pitchfork for example is famous for dubbing music 'cool' or 'uncool' based on really arbitrary standards, like how 'indie' it is).

Music is very subjective, contrary to what these types would have you believe. If you like it and it evokes some kind of emotion in you, then it's good music. Don't worry about it :)

Thank you :) I'm fine with my music-taste now, as you get older you don't think sooo much about others peoples opinions :p

Yeah, I'm just starting to get to that phase in my life, I hope :chuckle: I wasn't just talking to you in that reply, but also kind of to myself :p

Not be ‘that guy who must be fun at parties’ but I am genuinely slightly confused by an article about embracing the second hand embarrassment/cheese/silliness of Muse taking the time to slag off IBTY when that’s pretty much the point of that song.

This sums it up quite nicely, though I've never felt any shame whatsoever over my love for them. 10 years plus here (although I think a part of me is holding on for nostalgic purposes)! Just wish they'd actually do some fan service... :LOL:

Same, I have never felt ashamed of it either, wish I could time travel and tell little 15 year old me those bullies who took the piss because of my favorite band would then been at the same gig as me 15 years later saying how much they love them too.

:LOL: Love it. But I'm nhf I Belong To You hate. That song is absolutely delightful and cheers me up every time I listen to it.

Matt's lyrics make me cringe, but generally Muse being dorks doesn't embarrass me. They're good at what they do, and their early albums hold up better than a lot of other bands from the early 00s. The type of people who take music so seriously they'd shame you for liking them aren't people I'd want to be around anyway.

Edited by funkadelic

:LOL: Love it. But I'm nhf I Belong To You hate. That song is absolutely delightful and cheers me up every time I listen to it.

Matt's lyrics make me cringe, but generally Muse being dorks doesn't embarrass me. They're good at what they do, and their early albums hold up better than a lot of other bands from the early 00s. The type of people who take music so seriously they'd shame you for liking them aren't people I'd want to be around anyway.

Great comment, from IBTY to the musical snobs. :D

Although I think it's not only a matter of uncalled-for seriousness regarding music, it also becomes a matter of degrading, insulting and make others unworthy to make yourself special, superior or more of musical expert in contrast to them, and I despise everyone who behaves like that.

That means you don't listen to a certain kind of music because you love it and you're open minded, but you use it to enflate your unsecure or fragile ego, and have the perfect weapon to be ass around people.