Drones World Tour: The Movie

‘exclusive insight from the band about the creative concept’

lads it was some remote control zorbs and a black Thunderbird 2 that had about 43% chance of working

"We were inspired by drones. It's based on the concept of drones, doing droney things. Drones"

It's very nice to look at, being the first HD Muse release and all (even if the 4k was lost). Decent mix too, especially after HAARP. The best parts are still overall the footage from the US arenas. The songs there are actually more fun.

What is it about this band's recent aversion to fun in anything official? Ties into the whole separation of concerts too.

Was New Kind Of Kick considered official? I think that was their idea of fun, lol.

... still haven't watched that. Kinda feel like I'm a bit shit at pop culture when I haven't seen such films. :chuckle:

Didn't they previously want to put embryos in the test tubes they used at Reading 2006?

While you could consider it as part of pop culture, I warn you it's quite of a heavy, slow film to watch and follow for today's standards. You may even find it very boring if you have a short attention span.

Many popular TV series like to pay homage or make references to it for the laughs or because it makes them feel "smart", but it's much more deeper than that as a cinematic experience.

Also, the fetus (conventionally called "The Starchild") appears at the very last scene of the film, where he/she floats in space just over Earth atmosphere in a sort of bubble/womb. Throughout the last moments he stares deep into the camera, breaking the fourth wall, all while the famous Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" plays over.

I didn't know about the embryos thing at R&L 2006 and it's something that gives me shivers.

While you could consider it as part of pop culture, I warn you it's quite of a heavy, slow film to watch and follow for today's standards. You may even find it very boring if you have a short attention span.

Many popular TV series like to pay homage or make references to it for the laughs or because it makes them feel "smart", but it's much more deeper than that as a cinematic experience.

Also, the fetus (conventionally called "The Starchild") appears at the very last scene of the film, where he/she floats in space just over Earth atmosphere in a sort of bubble/womb. Throughout the last moments he stares deep into the camera, breaking the fourth wall, all while the famous Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" plays over.

I didn't know about the embryos thing at R&L 2006 and it's something that gives me shivers.

Certainly I imagine its relevant to the pop culture as a very early successful sci-fi, plus I'm aware The Starchild scene has been referenced a lot (Simpsons did a gag on it, if I recall, among others).

I think I read it in the Mark Beaumont book that they were tried out in the stage design for that tour, but they tried it out and didn't think it worked.

I think the real question isn't so much if it's a reference to the movie, or just "hey, we're all born as drones!" (likely the latter as the former doesn't fit the concept at all...) but does this mean they've edited the actual live special effects in the movie?

Because that's more sad than an overdubbed note in Survival.

I don't remember anything like that, but I guess I stopped reading recent interviews.

I'm just against adding visuals to what's supposed to be a live concert release. That's pretty shoddy, if it happens.

I'm even more curious about the "documentary" part of it now, too, because how boring would that be to see in the theater? Do people really want to see Matt explain floating drones as a metaphor for (gasp!) drones! on the big screen?

They had this issue the last time they did this (Rome,) too. The tracker never worked correctly.

yeah, but i seem to recall a manual list of all the locations that was released at the time of the announcement. ofc, i could be misremembering...

oh well -- we'll find out soon enough.

in other news, my local cinema was about decently full for Rome; i was surprised. wonder how well-attended this shizz will be...

There was never a functional list for the US anyways. I remember having to call around to all the small theaters asking about it, and was still given the wrong information about it being in 4k.

It was said that that orbs were supposed to have projection screens on them but they didn't get enough time to test it, and gave up when it failed. That's why they were all white during the Mexico gigs and then had the screening removed later to make them clear and lights were slapped on them.

If that is the sort of thing they were planning, I'm glad it failed.

Mostly I'm curious if they've actually photoshopped visuals like that into the actual gig movie... because why else put it on the poster like that?

My cinema screening for Rome was quite well attended, although curiously the one for Frank Turner was busier.

But yeah, the lack of a cinema list is odd.

I don't remember anything like that, but I guess I stopped reading recent interviews.

I'm just against adding visuals to what's supposed to be a live concert release. That's pretty shoddy, if it happens.

I'm even more curious about the "documentary" part of it now, too, because how boring would that be to see in the theater? Do people really want to see Matt explain floating drones as a metaphor for (gasp!) drones! on the big screen?

If it was putting more focus on the Drones Tour visual package that was played on the projector screens, I would be ok with it. I may be right in thinking that the visuals for Dead Inside, Isolated System, Madness, Uprising and The Globalist were loosely connected and tell a sort of narrative. But adding lots of extra special effect visual stuff like the weird embryo drones is odd, and tbh, I can't really work out a connection in one's head for it.