‘By Request’ Show Suggestions

Jobby

True, there’s always gonna be that small contingent of fans that travel abroad though. Then again, I could be ok with skipping it. Thinking about how starved the US has been for rarities, the votes might actually end up being pretty conventional.

Probs wouldn’t even get tix so I guess it’s all irrelevant anyway eyyyyy

Of course there are and I can't stop them but it would still rub me the wrong way if they were from the areas of western Europe where those shows are local and regular.

And my standards are not very high for song choice anyways.

Gonna guess Italy and LA, Alcatraz (Milan) and the Wiltern or Mayan. Would love to go to a gig in the US but never really seriously considered it 'cos of the cost...this could push me though.

I'd say Italy or Germany (Cologne?), yeah. Amsterdam would be nice though :LOL:

• 1 month later...

I've been to Minneapolis a few times and have had fun (sorry about the recent 20" of snow), but that's easily a 9-10 hr drive and I'm probably not going to get on a plane to see Muse. So anything more than driving distance and I'm perfectly fine watching the webcast instead.

Doing just 1 show in a country this size is absurd, though. NYC or LA are the only cities that would make sense and it still involves having most people travel far. I am rofling at how random it would be if they announced the only show in like Omaha or Tulsa or somewhere totally random.

With one gig, the vast majority of fans would have to travel to see it, so I was just thinking "middle of country."

But yes, one gig for the US and trying to pretend that you did something amazing for all your hardcore fans is completely absurd, especially with the cost of travel.

Also, the chances of getting tickets isn't even worth the stress.

I wish they'd do somewhere random, or at least somewhere more interesting/appealing to vacation in so it's not just spend a ton of money to see a gig and just go home. (Admittedly Chicago has some fun stuff to do, but the homicide rate out there is a bit chilling, and every time I've gone there it's been a shit show.)

I'm kind of tired of traveling to see gigs and basically touring America's shittiest cities. (Looking at you, St Louis, Philly and DC.)

At this point I'd rather go see some band I've never heard of at Red Rocks.

That would be nice if they kept that in mind and did the show somewhere more centralized, actually. Ideally they would do a few shows spread out, but there's not really a precedent for that. Toronto would be a nice way to squeeze another nearby show while still holding true to just 1 US show.

I must say I go to Chicago a couple times a year and I've never once felt unsafe there *shrug*... Then again, I've been going to shows in Detroit for nearly 20 years now so maybe it takes a lot to unnerve me. :LOL: The bottom line is every city has bad areas; it's a little upsetting that media spin focuses on some more than others.

Chicago's been the one place that I've had multiple scary situations in, so combined with it's warzone reputation, I've gotten really afraid to go back.

And that's in comparison to the time I was in Dallas setting up some promo stuff at night and had to whack a feral pitbull with a broom handle. :LOL:

Every city's got bad areas, it's typically just down to if the venues are in those bad areas, or if you have to drive through them coming from the airport, etc., especially at night.

I think my experiences going to small gigs across the country really opened my eyes to how grim a lot of the place is.

I know when (if) this gig gets announced I'm going to be down about it, but right now I'm just more angry that they're doing this to their fans instead of just playing a couple of old, non-hits songs at every gig. And that they're allowing the size of their stage shows to hobble their ability to do a decent tour length as it's outstripping their popularity by a large degree.

That's too bad about scary experiences. I've had my car stolen at a gig in Detroit before (I did somehow get it back). It took me a few years to go back to that venue heh.

I will say that even though it's annoying that they're doing just a handful of request shows like this worldwide at insanely small venues... the fact that they're open to doing more, and in America no less, tells me that maybe they'll be open to introducing more of these "requests" at normal gigs going forward. The band looked noticeably engaged at the SBE and Paris shows, after all. I guess that could've been due to the small venues and not necessarily the song selections. There's just a big difference between seeing a band legitimately enjoy what they're doing vs. one that would seemingly rather be anywhere else, like the one on the 360 tour.

I guess I just have the opposite view, based on what I've read in recent interviews, that the band feels these little gigs are an even better reason to not do these songs elsewhere. :(

We never really even asked for crazy shit in the US... just like Bliss or CE.

This is the shit that soured me on the band, not a couple of questionable singles.

Last time I was in Chicago they screwed me on my connecting flight, bodily removed me out of the airport when it closed with no compensation or hotel, and allowed a guy impersonating an airport employee steal my luggage using an official airport flat.

If a complete stranger hadn't have helped me out, I'm convinced I'd have died out there.

If they stick to their word their intentions are literally the opposite of introducing this to normal gigs.

Huh. Well, Muse logic is definitely rather playing an entire request show to a crowd of 1,000 people who somehow miraculously got tickets instead of just playing one or two "deep cut" songs at normal gigs for fear of alienating the crowd, all the while playing the 15-minute bore fest that was Globalist/Drones every single night.