‘By Request’ Show Suggestions

Jobby

So, if you combine both lists we’ve seen for these by request gigs so far, here’s the options we’ve had:

Aftermath*

Agitated*

Animals*

Apocalypse Please*

Assassin

Blackout*

Bliss

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Cave

Citizen Erased

City Of Delusion

Darkshines*

Dead Inside

Dead Star

Defector*

Dig Down

Do We Need This*

Easily

Endlessly*

Eternally Missed

Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture)*

Exo-Politics*

Falling Away With You*

Falling Down*

Feeling Good

Follow Me*

Forced In*

Fury

Futurism

The Globalist*

Glorious

The Groove

Guiding Light*

The Handler

Hyper Music

Hysteria

Invincible

Isolated System*

Liquid State*

Knights Of Cydonia

Madness

Map Of Your Head

Map Of The Problematique

Megalomania*

Mercy*

Micro Cuts

Muscle Museum

Nature_1*

Neutron Star Collision*

New Born

New Kind Of Kick*

Panic Station

Plug In Baby

Psycho

Reapers

Resistance

Revolt*

Ruled By Secrecy*

Save Me*

Screenager*

Showbiz

Sign O’ The Times*

Sing For Absolution

The Small Print*

Soldier’s Poem*

Space Dementia

Starlight

Stockholm Syndrome

Sunburn

Supermassive Black Hole

Supremacy

Survival*

Take A Bow*

Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

Time Is Running Out

Undisclosed Desires

Unintended

United States Of Eurasia*

Unnatural Selection*

Uno

Unsustainable*

Uprising

Yes Please*

* = was included for SBE then dropped

Bold = has already been played/voted in

Basically, what do you reckon should:

a) Come back that disappeared after SBE

b) Come in that hasn’t been included yet

My shouts would be:

a) Agitated, Apocalypse Please, Blackout, Defector, Do We Need This, Endlessly, Exo-Politics, Falling Away With You, Falling Down, Forced In, Darkshines, Megalomania, Nature_1, Ruled By Secrecy, Screenager, The Small Print, Soldier’s Poem, Take A Bow, Unnatural Selection, Yes Please

b) Ashamed, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You, Coma, Con-Science, Crying Shame, Escape, Execution Commentary, Fillip, The Gallery, Hate This & I’ll Love You, Hoodoo, Host, I Belong To You, In Your World, Minimum, MK Ultra, Redemption, Shine (Acoustic), Shrinking Universe, Sober

Hoodoo’s an absolute must, shocked that’s not been on so far. Also reckon Blackout would come back in it’s proper, non-abysmal form at a small venue. RBS was a criminal drop.

If they’re gonna repeat the live voting thing as well, I’d like to see an ‘instrumental song’ slot where the D&B jam would usually go.

More of them. Bigger ones. Take the concept and do it at somewhere like Brixton Academy.

Also, endure the non-rarities are always varied - i.e. I didn’t expect Psycho last night but it was welcome over, say, Starlight or TIRO.

I also liked the cabaret element to last night’s show. Dom with the envelopes, Matt’s silly explanations, the little screw-ups. It just felt more live.

I did like the envelopes :chuckle: v x-factor or some shit

Not sure about doing bigger shows tbh...obvs it’d be great for more fans to get to go to any given show but I love how intimate these places are so far. Somewhere like Brixton might be just a bit too big and detract from the vibe a bit imo. If you just increased the number of shows they do and the variation in places they take it, I think that’d help make it available to more people without sacrificing that ‘cramped in room of hardcores’ energy.

Agree w/ keeping any staples varied tho. Would like to give the length a shout as well - 16 at SBE and 18 at La Cigale as opposed to the 15 on the Psycho Tour, no more ‘smaller venue = smaller set logic’

Edited by Jobby

As fun as the Facebook thing was, if I had paid for a “by request” ticket I wouldn’t want randoms on the internet deciding my set list.

I’m hoping the voting results will result in better set lists for all gigs. It’s really interesting how the top 10 didn’t include any staples, apart from PIB I guess. The results were mostly early singles that the band seems to think are deep cuts.

These by request shows should really be a question of “Which B-sides do you want to hear for the first time?” rather than “Which classic, well-known songs do you want a much higher chance of seeing live?”

I don’t think it matters whether the results/options are singles, album tracks or b-sides tbh, as long as they’re good and something you don’t hear every day.

Am slightly worried about them starting to skip stuff that makes the top 10 though, sets a potentially dodgy precedent without sounding overly dramatic. Still haunted by those summer 2010 polls. If you aren’t gonna be willing to play something, just don’t make it available for voting. Dead Star’s not an awful miss ‘cos it does pop up occasionally anyway but anyone there that wasn’t at SBE must’ve been pretty bummed about S4A.

Also how the fuck did I miss HCM from my ‘songs that should be added’? it is an i m p e r a t i v e addition.

I don’t think it matters whether the results/options are singles, album tracks or b-sides tbh, as long as they’re good and something you don’t hear every day.

Am slightly worried about them starting to skip stuff that makes the top 10 though, sets a potentially dodgy precedent without sounding overly dramatic. Still haunted by those summer 2010 polls. If you aren’t gonna be willing to play something, just don’t make it available for voting. Dead Star’s not an awful miss ‘cos it does pop up occasionally anyway but anyone there that wasn’t at SBE must’ve been pretty bummed about S4A.

Also how the fuck did I miss HCM from my ‘songs that should be added’? it is an i m p e r a t i v e addition.

For Paris, we had 5 votes, and, if I'm not mistaken, they only mentionned a top 5 as well. So they would actually have gone beyond what they "had" to.

Did they mention a top5? I never saw that anywhere but then I didn’t pay much attention. I mostly saw people talk about Muse playing the top 5 because you could vote for 5 songs, which doesn’t necessarily say anything about the number of songs they were looking at from the results.

Yeah, they didn’t mention a number for SBE or La Cigale, just that ‘votes would curate the set’. Considering Matt posted the top 10 for each on Twitter though, playing all 10 + Futurism at SBE, I took that to mean that’s what they sectioned off to go in the set.

By Request suggestion, a tour which makes seeing Muse accessible to fans, like myself who cant afford to travel, across the UK including Wales.

This would be cool but in the end, doesn't make much sense from an economic point of view. Why organise a tour playing for small audiences when you can play for arenas or even stadiums?

What did thdo email say exactly?

"Thank you for buying a ticket to Muse's show at La Cigale on 24 February.

Billed as a ‘By Request’ show, each ticket holder can choose up to five of their favorite Muse tracks and all votes submitted will be collated and used to curate the set on the night.

If you have purchased one ticket, you have one unique code to use when voting, but please note that each code is unique and works only once.

If you have purchased two tickets, and therefore have two unique codes to use when voting, you can use both these codes yourself or you can pass one on to your guest for the evening – that choice is yours !"

Honestly, I took this to mean that only the top 5 would be played but technicically it didn't say that.

By Request suggestion, a tour which makes seeing Muse accessible to fans, like myself who cant afford to travel, across the UK including Wales.

They did somehow a rarities club tour - it was called "Psycho UK Tour" and it was just 3 years ago.

Bringing the "By Request" shows/rarities to Europe (and maybe the US) is a nice thing...

Yeah I don't even think it implies that.

They did somehow a rarities club tour - it was called "Psycho UK Tour" and it was just 3 years ago.

Bringing the "By Request" shows/rarities to Europe (and maybe the US) is a nice thing...

I think my thinking is tainted by the reasons why I kind of gave up on Muse years ago.

Promise people the chance to vote some of the setlist in 2010 ->end up with one requested song->immediately now assume you will get fucked with just 5 requested songs when SB got 10, just by seeing the number 5

Never play "deep cuts", as I guess they are called now, and for years emphasize stage production over setlists and the actual music-> it never even occurred to me Muse have actually done a small-scale tour in the previous years

Great to see that the band has been more "superfan"-friendly in the last few years. I assume this is because they've understood the value of holding onto the core fanbase now that the highest commercial heydays seem to be over, at least for the moment. Or maybe I'm wrong again, because I don't seem to know anything these days.

but tbh, they played rarities at the festivals and played the "regular" stuff at their own shows... although you should assume, that there should be more "superfans" at their own shows and more people liking the "regular" stuff at festivals

#muselogic

and the Psycho tour had one date in Wales which was the first since 2006 i believe. Its not like its a massive ask for them to at least attempt to cater to the fans from Wales. There are plenty of small and big venues they could take their shows to, and this goes for the majority of big artists.

I think it’s more important to take it to places further away that maybe don’t see special songs or small gigs often first. Wales specifically doesn’t get many gigs but the UK as a whole is a hotspot for them. There’s a lotta other places way bigger than here that barely get touched with regular gigs, let alone rarity stuff. Like I said before as well, they won’t do it in tour form without massively reducing the amount of rarities/requests they play each night (back to the 3-5 of the Psycho Tour), which isn’t worth it imo. I’d rather them be sparse but really fucking special than clustered into a diluted mini-tour.

I just hope they squeeze a few more in before LP8 comes out, ‘cos I’ll be surprised if they continue it once this big ‘mindblowing tech demo’ world tour kicks off.

Edited by Jobby

I just hope they squeeze a few more in before LP8 comes out, ‘cos I’ll be surprised if they continue it once this big ‘mindblowing tech demo’ world tour kicks off.

^ Update on that from Matt - plan is for 1 more in Europe and hopefully 1 in the US over the next year (so presumably before LP8)

Gonna guess Italy and LA, Alcatraz (Milan) and the Wiltern or Mayan. Would love to go to a gig in the US but never really seriously considered it 'cos of the cost...this could push me though.

Was going to make another typical comment about the audiences, but thinking more one show for the whole country (you could even say NA) will make every ticket very precious.

True, there’s always gonna be that small contingent of fans that travel abroad though. Then again, I could be ok with skipping it. Thinking about how starved the US has been for rarities, the votes might actually end up being pretty conventional.

Probs wouldn’t even get tix so I guess it’s all irrelevant anyway eyyyyy