"Guitar is no longer a lead instrument" BBC-article

Claudia O

So why constantly use it as a lead instrument then?

You know that that question makes no sense, right?

Not only does Matt acknowledge in the article that being rock musicians means having one foot in the past, but Muse have even tried to slightly move away from guitar-based rock and have been heavily criticized for it. Their last album was a deliberate attempt to go back to "the good old days", but other than that they're clearly trying to be a part of the guitar-less trend as much as they can get away with.

"We've always kept an eye on what's gong on, and we've taken influence from things we think are cool in contemporary music. It's always been a theme."

We try to do what everyone else is doing, just a couple years after they do it.

We're so cool!

Maybe this is the real reason for working on one song at a time; make their obvious influences a tiny bit less dated.

I could just be old and jaded, but Matt really made it sound like they're just chasing mainstream popularity in that article, like that was an admirable thing to do.

Maybe this is the real reason for working on one song at a time; make their obvious influences a tiny bit less dated.

I could just be old and jaded, but Matt really made it sound like they're just chasing mainstream popularity in that article, like that was an admirable thing to do.

That’s always been one of their drives though.

Perhaps the original unique sound they had in the first three/four albums was just a botched attempt at sounding like other bands. Since then they’ve just perfected that skill and lost all originality in the process, leading them to think they’re better and us to think they’re worse.

(I kid, of course. But not 100%)

That’s always been one of their drives though.

Perhaps the original unique sound they had in the first three/four albums was just a botched attempt at sounding like other bands. Since then they’ve just perfected that skill and lost all originality in the process, leading them to think they’re better and us to think they’re worse.

(I kid, of course. But not 100%)

I think they're still capable of sounding original, but instead of embracing it they keep trying to be something they're not. Before their inspirations were RATM, classical music, and Ennio Morricone which came through in a similarly obvious way, but it was suited to them whereas this other stuff isn't. Still, somewhere in Thought Contagion I could hear the old Muse.