2018.02.24 - La Cigale, Paris

Jobby

The Small Print's missing too though...

It does seem strange though. Imagine going through all the hassle of trying to get tickets, actually managing to get one, and then realising that never mind hoping enough people vote for your favourites for them to actually get played, you can't actually even vote for them at all anyway. I posted in that Your Top 10 Muse Songs thread about a week ago, and 8 of mine aren't even available, with probably 3 or 4 of my next five also missing. So if there's someone going with a similar taste to me, that's 11 or 12 of their top 15 songs that they can't even choose. I can't imagine how disappointed I would be if I was in that situation.

Anyone know how long the voting is open for? For SBE it closed a week before the gig, so I'm curious how it'll work here given that the gig is in 6 days. Maybe that's why the list is less populated, they don't want to rehearse anything they know they can't play easily.

Anyone know how long the voting is open for? For SBE it closed a week before the gig, so I'm curious how it'll work here given that the gig is in 6 days. Maybe that's why the list is less populated, they don't want to rehearse anything they know they can't play easily.

I had that thought too but the selection still doesn't make sense. Doesn't explain why Fury, Agitated, KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA, Stockholm Syndrome etc are missing. Feels very random. Meanwhile Eternally Missed and Space Dementia are there.

I had that thought too but the selection still doesn't make sense. Doesn't explain why Fury, Agitated, KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA, Stockholm Syndrome etc are missing. Feels very random. Meanwhile Eternally Missed and Space Dementia are there.

Something like KoC might be picked by the band and the rest could be in the live vote?

The vote closes on the 20th... These are my thoughts exactly.

The Small Print's missing too though...

It does seem strange though. Imagine going through all the hassle of trying to get tickets, actually managing to get one, and then realising that never mind hoping enough people vote for your favourites for them to actually get played, you can't actually even vote for them at all anyway. I posted in that Your Top 10 Muse Songs thread about a week ago, and 8 of mine aren't even available, with probably 3 or 4 of my next five also missing. So if there's someone going with a similar taste to me, that's 11 or 12 of their top 15 songs that they can't even choose. I can't imagine how disappointed I would be if I was in that situation.

To be honest, I could not care less that not all songs are on the list. I've seen Muse live about 15 times (first gig was BH&R era), but there are so many songs I have never seen live that I don't really care what they will play on Saturday, because there will be so many songs I have never seen live before. My list was: Assassin, Dead Star, Showbiz, Space Dementia and The Groove. I didn't even notice Fury wasn't on the list (I hope that means they'll play that one anyway) and I still had a difficult choice to make with Easily, Uno, Cave, Muscle Museum... I wanted to vote for The Small Print too, I did notice that wasn't on the list, but it doesn't matter.

For me, the setlist almost cannot fail at a gig like this.

They streamed SBE as well tbf, just in lower quality than this one might be.

Doubt I’ll be watching though. I’d feel gutted to watch them play Eternally Missed but even more so for COD, for obvs reasons, and I’ve got a big feeling they’re gonna do both. It’d hurt too much after the ‘wrong code’ fiasco.

Doubt I’ll be watching though. I’d feel gutted to watch them play Eternally Missed but even more so for COD, for obvs reasons, and I’ve got a big feeling they’re gonna do both. It’d hurt too much after the ‘wrong code’ fiasco.

I've still not seen a second of footage from The Mayan. If any of those are played you will finally understand me in that regard.

For SBE it closed a week before the gig, so I'm curious how it'll work here given that the gig is in 6 days. Maybe that's why the list is less populated, they don't want to rehearse anything they know they can't play easily.

...which is why i find inclusion of space dementia on the shortlist particularly peculiar.

demanding for matt on the piano, lots of dust to remove given its long layoff from live performances, the song's complexity relative to other 'rarities' on that list, etc.

we'll see.

I've still not seen a second of footage from The Mayan. If any of those are played you will finally understand me in that regard.

I’m not fussed about missing songs I love in itself tbh. Like, when Assassin got played for the first time in years, it didn’t hurt to miss it or watch the performances ‘cos I chose to go to Manchester Academy and not Newport.

When it’s something like this where it feels like you probably should’ve/would’ve been there if it weren’t for the technical problems though...yeah, that’s shit. Same almost happened with SBE actually but that was just Ticketmaster’s wank captcha system and I had a decent amount of time/opportunities to try again or find a spare. Did the same happen w/ you and the Mayan gig?

...which is why i find inclusion of space dementia on the shortlist particularly peculiar.

demanding for matt on the piano, lots of dust to remove given its long layoff from live performances, the song's complexity relative to other 'rarities' on that list, etc.

we'll see.

Space Dementia’s not that complicated tbh. I’m an ultra basic piano player and I learnt it pretty easily way back when. Was the Gran Rex performance in ‘08 not played by request at short notice as well?

Space Dementia’s not that complicated tbh. I’m an ultra basic piano player and I learnt it pretty easily way back when.

yeah -- i can hack my way through it, too.

i guess i find its inclusion surprising in light of what appears to be matt's recent aversion to (or simple neglect of) the piano at gigs.

i guess i find its inclusion surprising in light of what appears to be matt's recent aversion to (or simple neglect of) the piano at gigs.

It’s not really that recent tbf, he’s been gradually doing less and less since Abso. Pretty sure he’s explained before that it’s because he feels like being stuck behind a piano hinders him from performing as much as he can with a guitar, and that the crowd might switch off. So, as the gigs got bigger, it makes sense that an insecurity like that would start to seem more important.

At a small gig filled with hardcores like this though, I’m sure he’s not bothered. He knows people’ll be into it regardless.

The following songs have been left out as compared to last time

Aftermath

Agitated

Animals

Apocalypse Please

Blackout

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Citizen Erased

Darkshines

Defector

Do We Need This

Endlessly

Exo-Politics

Exogenesis

Falling Away With You

Falling Down

Follow Me

Forced In

Fury

Futurism

Guiding Light

Knights Of Cydonia

Liquid State

Megalomania

Mercy

Revolt

Ruled By Secrecy

Save Me

Screenager

Sign O' The Times

Soldier's Poem

Some New Kind of Kick

Stockholm Syndrome

Survival

Take a Bow

The 2nd Law: Isolated System

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

The Globalist

The Small Print

United States Of Eurasia

Unnatural Selection

Yes Please

It's because they plan on playing all of these along with the top 5 :LOL:

what's the secret to space dementia on piano ? While I understand it's not super complex, I find it pretty fast for m, I've been playing piano for about 1 year and a half so I guess I'm "ultra basic" too yet can't play it.

Anyway, there was no "by request" at Grand Rex, it was part of the original set list for buenos aires (I was there), and it was all part of their first south american tour ever in which they decided to play a whole lot of rarities since it was the first time ever in those countries.

AP, Fury, DS, CE, COD and Bliss also got played on that tour being considered rarities at the time (although AP, Bliss and CE became less of a rarity in more recent tours)

what's the secret to space dementia on piano ? While I understand it's not super complex, I find it pretty fast for m, I've been playing piano for about 1 year and a half so I guess I'm "ultra basic" too yet can't play it.

need to get back on topic in this thread, but as far as SD goes on the piano, it's all about keeping muscle memory engaged once one masters the general hand motions in the song. the hardest part to master is, ironically, the chorus -- lots of arpeggiated chords that change quite quickly. one doesn't need big hands to master the song -- just nimble ones.