2018.02.24 - La Cigale, Paris

Jobby

Just caught up on the setlist if not the show. I might try and watch it later. From a pure setlist point of view, I think I personally would have preferred SBE, and probably by quite a long way too, as even without Stockholm Syndrome, I'm struggling to think of a better setlist they've done than that since ye olde days, if at all. However, I hope everyone who was there last night had a great time. If Muse can keep doing a few of these shows every now and then, and having some kind of stream for the people who can't go, that would be great. There's no chance of them doing one over here, I know that much, haha!

So I managed to get in about 10 minutes before they came out! Added my name to the waiting list at 2pm (luckily I was already on the Metro), came back at 8pm and they eventually started reading out names for extra tickets. Awesome night, and an unexpected bonus for some of the fans screwed over by the horrible FNAC sale.

Okaay so I watched it twice.

I don't know if it's me but it seems that the mix on the livestream was very "dry" until Psycho. I rewatched it this morning and it sounds better overall.

I saw many people saying TC is better live. I'm gonna disagree here. I think it'll definitely improve in the future but the way Matt sang the final (solution) verse is really weird. Also the transition between verses and the main riff is kinda messy (like he cuts off his guitar too abruptly. I like the clean delay for the first "you've been bitten by" chorus.

+ lol to his comment at the end :LOL:

While I think some songs like Fury or Muscle Museum sound better half-step down, this is not the case for Eternally Missed imo (maybe because verses are too monotone and low in the first place though i liked "The sun forgives the clouds" i don't know why). BUT the final verse with Chris singing and Matt ad libs is phenomenal.

I still prefer Space Dementia 2011 because the "without you" part is much cleaner.

The falsetto in bliss was great but the Mayan 2015 is far better imo.

This version of PiB was pretty weird with almost-8bit effect but whynot.

I was pretty surprised with Assassin because i was convinced they were gonna play Starlight (Matt baited me with those spanish chords at the beginning). No GOB tho :(

And finally it's so good to close the set with SS. The addition of agitated and yes please if the reason why you chose SS over KoC, apart from being an incredible song.

I still prefer Space Dementia 2011 because the "without you" part is much cleaner.

Just btw, it's "with the chill." I assume that's the part you mean. :happy:

A couple thoughts on the show:

Wow, was that Showbiz vocal amazing. I thought his voice would be a lot more gassed but he still managed to really go for it and nail it.

That PiB performance was funny. I liked how Matt randomly laughed heading into the second chorus.

Edited by Matthz

Yeah, it's an awkward position they've put themselves in. I guess they only way to tackle this is to keep on playing the more obscure songs so that casuals become more 'used' to them. I don't see it being all that different than when they play new album songs for the first few months; for every big type of reaction (say, Psycho) there are the ones that get average responses, Animals and Panic Station spring to mind.

Yeah, what I don't get is how they'll say that, but do they really kill the mood any more than having songs like Madness, Mercy, and Dead Inside in the same setlist?

Really impressed that they played Eternally Missed. I loved that song when I was a Muse megafan and I can always hear why Muse fans love it. I listen now and I can see why it didn't make an album - honestly it's kind of a mess conceptually, there are parts I love and parts I could do without. It's no surprise at all that they don't play it, which is what makes it really nice that Muse did so by request.

That was so much fun. It looked like the band were having masses of fun too.

The PiB intro :LOL:. So derpy. I loved all the weird touches and flourishes in Eternally Missed too, really filled it out. Shame about Matt's vocals in the chorus being far too low in the mix.

Oh, and them all screwing up Agitated and then getting it back together again was lulz.