2018.05.06 - Carolina Rebellion, Charlotte, NC, USA

forevermusic

Wow what the actual fuck lmao

Edit: gig’s only getting mad praise online so we must just be weird thinking 12/13 songs is a joke

They played 12 songs when they headlined Lowlands in 2016. This set is miiiles better though. Lowlands is still probably the worst set I've ever seen them play...

I was very pleased with this set - SS, the Handler, and TaB + the removal of Starlight, Madness, and DD.

Map was a pleasant surprise and it was great hearing The Handler again. God I love that song.

They were allotted 70 minutes originally. 9:40-10:50, but actually came out at 9:45 and played until 11. Curfew is 11.

I was at the show and thought it was great! I had my hopes up for Showbiz, since that was played last month, but I should know better by now, being in the US. That being said, the set was pretty heavy and it was nice to see Map again. Love that song.

This was my 3rd year at Carolina Rebellion and the set length was right in line with the other headliners i've seen over the years. Sets at Rebellion seem shorter than most other festivals in general. Most non-headlining bands that go on during the day only get a 20-25 minute set, so in that regard a 12-13 song set (with extended riffs) seems appropriate (albeit short).

I was up near the barricade the entire day and the endless crowd surfing during Incubus (and to a lesser extent, during Muse) was exhausting. I couldn't help but feel bad for the other folks up at the barricade because they were either ducking or having people landing on the back of their neck for most of the set. Having been to the festival before, the crowd surfing was something I expected, but I think it came as a surprise to a lot of the people there to see Muse. I hung around up until The Handler, and then got out and went further back so that I could actually watch the show, instead of being turned around 80% of the time dealing with crowd surfers. The people at Rebellion crowd surf just to crowd surf (as evidenced by the 3 or 4 crowd surfers during The 2nd Law) and so it was somewhat frustrating knowing that these people who aren't fans of the band were hurting the experience of some of the die hards up front and preventing them from enjoying the show. During some points, it was hard to even jump around and get into it because your head literally had to be on a swivel. At any rate, I think the band won the crowd over, for the most part. Once I got further back and could watch the show, it seemed like the people around me were really digging it, which is all you can ask for really.

It was a good show and I loved the heavier set, but to be honest, I'd rather make the drive to Delaware to see them at Firefly like I did last year. They played a longer set and you didn't have to deal with nearly as many crowd surfers and can just jump around with the other die hards who know all the words.

The crowd surfing at Rebellion is insane. I watched Greta Van Fleet and The Struts and then went to the other stage to watch Queens of the Stone Age. I was surprised I even managed to see all of Muse, because QOTSA ended at the same time Muse was supposed to start. It was a good thing Muse had a late start.