Sign in to follow this  
forevermusic

2018.05.06 - Carolina Rebellion, Charlotte, NC, USA

It’s not unheard of for them to soundcheck songs they’re not even considering playing that night though tbf. Plus, the OOS gigs were just around the corner back then.

True. Earliest example that I can think of is a rumour of Dead Star and Hyper Music being soundchecked at various points on the 2006 Black Holes arena tour.

Didn't several US gigs get awesome shit like Glorious and Fury soundchecked for different upcoming gigs?

The Nashville soundcheck got a few of the songs that made the SBE gig, right?

songs that will crash and burn: mercy, starlight, undisclosed and dead inside... and madness

i've been doing some research on the crowd of this festival now that i've committed to going. they really hate that muse is headlining. they don't think muse is good. they don't think muse is heavy. that said, i think a well-crafted set can make true believers out of haters.

1. unsustainable
  2. interlude/hysteria
  3. thought contagion
  4. showbiz
  5. isolated system into stockholm with micro cuts outro
  6. reapers (full)
  7. d&b jam
  8. the handler
  9. supermassive
  10. dead star
  11. time is running out
  12. fury
  13. uprising
  14. citizen erased
  15. assassin (grand omega bosses)
  16. knights

bottom line this needs to be a heavy set. this is not going to be crossing over metal-y people into pop. this is going to be convincing people with really low expectations of muse that this band is the best in the world.

Edited by shostakobitch

Even markets that have old school rock stations still play stuff like Incubus, which has never really been heavy. Muse doesn't have to break out Assassin to be relevant for the crowd there, tbh.

And Mercy's pretty great when you're drunk at a gig, especially if they do confetti.

mercy will only work if half steps become quarter steps and the confetti is made of spiders and blood here. these are drunk rednecks we’re dealing with... camo shorts and beer bellies and trucker hats... you’re over estimating the power of confetti lol

also, i want to hear assassin because i haven’t before and i have heard mercy. i need mercy from mercy. this isn’t about radio trends; it’s about lying the snare within people that wrote off the band. why should muse go with a general set because incubus is there? muse is the headliner and shouldn’t adjust their set because all of incubus sounds like an extended bong hit.

Muse isn't adjusting the set because Incubus is there, that's just a band I used as an example of the lighter style. Muse is writing a set based on the trends of their music and their previous sets from most of the past decade...

And you're really exaggerating the idea of redneck rock fans here. It's a drunk festival, not a Norwegian death metal concert from the '90s.

These are fans of Three Days Grace and nu metal...

Muse's going to play like SS and Hysteria b2b as a heavy part of a show. Don't get your hopes up

Edited by Nicklord

are you even going to this show because you’re remarkably snide about it if you’re not

Sorry, I got the assumption this wasn't a serious conversation right around the time the gig was raining bloody spiders.

Is this going to be a 2nd Download - or a standard US-set? I hope they don't start with Thought Contagion. Reapers would be great ;) or Psycho.

I read some comments on Twitter, one read like "If Muse play Madness, I hope the audience will throw shit on them" :$ Haters gonna hate?!

Certainly, I like the contrast between this bill, and the pop run that's below them at Bottle Rock.

I doubt they'll break out anything other than the usual run of stuff though.

Aye, I second that. Then again, I am hoping that they stick to a standard set just to see the reactions.

Edit: 12 songs.:stunned:

Edited by Luigi.

Wow what the actual fuck lmao

Edit: gig’s only getting mad praise online so we must just be weird thinking 12/13 songs is a joke

Edited by Jobby

Works out as 2 songs less than Firefly, which was 75 minutes, but seems to have had lots of riffs, which probably filled a similar quantity of time.

Good to know Map of the Problematique & The Handler aren't dead, mind.

They were set to start at 9:40, dunno what the official curfew was. Looking at the other headliners’ sets, I wonder if this is actually normal for CR though - Godsmack played 13 and Alice In Chains actually only did 9. Then again, QOTSA opened for Muse and still managed 13 ‘cos they don’t fluff up the sets w/ interludes.

They were set to start at 9:40, dunno what the official curfew was. Looking at the other headliners’ sets, I wonder if this is actually normal for CR though - Godsmack played 13 and Alice In Chains actually only did 9. Then again, QOTSA opened for Muse and still managed 13 ‘cos they don’t fluff up the sets w/ interludes.

QOTSA had 65 minutes, Muse 75 so no that much difference there