2018.05.06 - Carolina Rebellion, Charlotte, NC, USA

forevermusic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Very. They played Madness at Download back in 2015.

I mean...they also played Dead Star, Micro Cuts, Citizen Erased, Reapers, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Agitated, debuted The Handler and dropped Starlight.

That said, I honestly dunno tbh. If it wasn’t in the US, I’d say they probs would pull out some stuff but...it is...so...

Stockholm’ll be a definite I would’ve thought. Could see Supremacy and potentially Reapers coming back. Maybe Agitated and/or Yes Please. I’m just hesitant of saying anything pre-Abso that isn’t just mindless riffage like the previous two. New Born maybe?

Edited by Jobby

I mean...they also played Dead Star, Micro Cuts, Citizen Erased, Reapers, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Agitated, debuted The Handler and dropped Starlight.

That said, I honestly dunno tbh. If it wasn’t in the US, I’d say they probs would pull out some stuff but...it is...so...

Stockholm’ll be a definite I would’ve thought. Could see Supremacy and potentially Reapers coming back. Maybe Agitated and/or Yes Please. I’m just hesitant of saying anything pre-Abso that isn’t just mindless riffage like the previous two. New Born maybe?

tbh, SS, CE, and one of dead star, micro cuts, agitated would be basically the best I could hope for. I still haven't seen Micro Cuts live and it would be beyond ironic to finally see it in my home state considering all the gigs I've traveled to :LOL:

Can’t see Micro Cuts or Dead Star w/ them being Origin era deep cuts unfortunately, and the former being so taxing vocally. CE cooould but I’d err towards no tbh, w/ B&H more likely in favour.

Agitated/Yes Please defo possible as post-song riffout ls though.

No they didn't.

Fook me, forget that y’know. Nice.

And yes it is naive to think Muse will change their regular set just because they play a metal festival.

Not really ‘cause they literally did it at the gig you referenced...? :chuckle:

• 1 month later...
Was it actively a hard rock/metal festival?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rage-against-the-machine-keep-fighting-at-l-a-rising-festival-20110801 - more of a special one-time thing event but that article even mentions that Lauryn Hill beefed up her performance to suit the other acts on the bill.

I admittedly don't know (or care) a thing about Carolina Rebellion, but they booked Def Leppard to headline last year. Clearly there's a precedent there for cheese.

Edited by halo eighteen

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rage-against-the-machine-keep-fighting-at-l-a-rising-festival-20110801 - more of a special one-time thing event but that article even mentions that Lauryn Hill beefed up her performance to suit the other acts on the bill.

I admittedly don't know (or care) a thing about Carolina Rebellion, but they booked Def Leppard to headline last year. Clearly there's a precedent there for cheese.

SOAD didn’t play LA Rising, unless you mean something else? :chuckle: Either way, there obvs wasn’t a heavy rock theme to that show - it was just set up by RATM to include acts they liked or were similar-ish.

Carolina Rebellion is pretty much just like Download by the sound of it. You get exactly the same cheesy hard rock/hair metal bands playing there but it’s still a heavy festival. Whether or not Muse’ll take that into account in the same way or even know idk but, in theory, there’s no reason for them not to.

SOAD didn’t play LA Rising, unless you mean something else? :chuckle: Either way, there obvs wasn’t a heavy rock theme to that show - it was just set up by RATM to include acts they liked or were similar-ish.

Carolina Rebellion is pretty much just like Download by the sound of it. You get exactly the same cheesy hard rock/hair metal bands playing there but it’s still a heavy festival. Whether or not Muse’ll take that into account in the same way or even know idk but, in theory, there’s no reason for them not to.

:LOL::LOL: SOAD, RATM... Lord, I need a nap.

I really do hope they dust off Dead Star, Assassin, New Born etc. at this show, but.. it is America. At least maybe they can relate to Incubus who are also performing on the same day. There's another band who have adapted a sound that I wouldn't expect a lot of hard rock/metal fans to fully embrace anymore.

I wonder why they picked that particular festival when the south and Midwest are just lousy with those kind of rednecky rock festivals all summer and many of the bands in the lineup do multiple ones.

Or why they picked that type of festival at all. Poor research? :chuckle:

Would absolutely love it (and not put it past them) to just rock up and have no clue.

:LOL::LOL: SOAD, RATM... Lord, I need a nap.

I really do hope they dust off Dead Star, Assassin, New Born etc. at this show, but.. it is America. At least maybe they can relate to Incubus who are also performing on the same day. There's another band who have adapted a sound that I wouldn't expect a lot of hard rock/metal fans to fully embrace anymore.

Think I said on the last page that I imagine they’ll avoid going too deep w/ any heavier cuts if they do change it up, particularly anything pre-Abso. Of the hits/staples, they’re fine keeping Psycho, Thought Contagion, Handler, Supermassive, Hysteria, TIRO, Knights, Uprising and potentially even Mercy and Dead Inside. Dig Down might be a stretch but I can see them gambling and keeping it. Then just fill out the other 5-8 slots with anything from: Reapers, Stockholm, Butterflies, Map, Supremacy, Globalist, TAB, New Born, Agitated/Yes Please, Animals, Unnatural Selection or maybe CE. Micro Cuts/Dead Star/Assassin might have a slim chance but I’d put those songs way above first.

Its still quite something they soundchecked Micro Cuts and Citizen Erased at that LA gig with RATM, then instead gave them Undisclosed Desires and Resistance. Though they did seem to get away with it.

It’s not unheard of for them to soundcheck songs they’re not even considering playing that night though tbf. Plus, the OOS gigs were just around the corner back then.

Edited by Jobby