I also went to these gigs and agree about Earls's Court '04. R&L was marred for me because some of the crowd near me didn't know half the Origin songs and lost interest, so the crowd atmosphere wasn't as great as it could have been.

I'd add Wembley 2007 to the list of great 'big' gigs.

But SBE was bloody epic, and surpassed my expectations completely.

I'd love to see them do Absolution from start to finish. That'd be my dream gig.

Yeah, that first night at Wembley in 2007 is hard to top for BHAR era - Reading 2006 was great and the Xmas arena shows were better still but if you want context then that first Wembley Stadium gig had everything (including long set and fancy stage!).

It was technically weaker - downtuned and avoiding some of the bits that they used to knock out night after night effortlessly.

? :wtf:

Darkshines was down a semitone, that's it. Matt gave the screamy bits of HM to Chris 'cos his voice couldn't do that anymore but he compensated for it by perfectly hitting the A4s in the pre-chorus.

It being a one-off (2-off?) nostalgia show was cool but does that really make it one of the greatest shows? Cos it was longer? Most average Muse show I ever saw was the longest. Cos it had a special stage? Whatever..

They played their most critically acclaimed and fan-favourite record in full for the first time ever, with a special production entirely based around it and multiple songs that hadn't been played since the album's original tour. I'd say that grants it a shout as one of the standout gigs of their career.

I'd love to see them do Absolution from start to finish. That'd be my dream gig.

imagine the flow tho

Edited by Jobby

? :wtf:

Darkshines was down a semitone, that's it. Matt gave the screamy bits of HM to Chris 'cos his voice couldn't do that anymore but he compensated for it by perfectly hitting the A4s in the pre-chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bjifquO5EQ&feature=youtu.be&t=185

Spot the difference, first random 2001 vid I found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqToPAZUQw&feature=youtu.be&t=171

Still not saying it wasn't a cracking gig if you were there but come on..

People age. I find it astonishing people on this board can't get over that :erm:.

Plus, that Reading performance was great. In fact, most of the 'modern' versions of Micro Cuts are absolutely amazing. See Werchter and Download 2015 for instance. Heavy as fuck and Matt's voice stands up just fine.

^ Now you're back to debating when the band were better performance-wise though. I was just responding to the fact that 'downtuned and missing things' only really applied to one song.

Plus, tbf, there's probs a fair amount of people who'd go back and forth between which versions of the songs they prefer. I don't think it'd be unanimous towards the '01 performances. I know I preferred the modern versions of Darkshines, Screenager and Space Dementia, maybe even Hyper Music. Outside of R+L, modern Dead Star and Futurism are also miles better imo.

Edited by Jobby

People age. I find it astonishing people on this board can't get over that :erm:.

Plus, that Reading performance was great. In fact, most of the 'modern' versions of Micro Cuts are absolutely amazing. See Werchter and Download 2015 for instance. Heavy as fuck and Matt's voice stands up just fine.

Not mentioned age, at all. Matt has aged considerably better than I have..

Not said it wasn't great - repeatedly, in fact.

Have said people tend to regard shows they saw themselves, big shows and more recent shows as more amazing than they actually were. Cos subjectivity.

^ Now you're back to debating when the band were better performance-wise though. I was just responding to the fact that 'downtuned and missing things' only really applied to one song.

3 songs - one downtuned, skipped the falsetto on another and let someone else sing the part on a third - thats 3 of the 5 OoS songs that don't get played often. And no-one ever mentions the second half of those classic R+L 2011 shows do they? The considerably less classic half..

I know I preferred the modern versions of Darkshines, Screenager and Space Dementia, maybe even Hyper Music. Outside of R+L, modern Dead Star and Futurism are also miles better imo.

:twitchy:

I think the SBE2017 show probably will go down as a classic unless they start doing these things more frequently (and that's not going to happen!). I'm not trying to slag the Reading 2011 show but it wouldn't get near my top 10 classics.

At best, I think I've probably only seen 3 Muse shows that I would rate as absolutely unbeatable classics. The rest are just "I wish..."

Have said people tend to regard shows they saw themselves, big shows and more recent shows as more amazing than they actually were. Cos subjectivity.

Is this why you don't rate R+L or Glasto? :p

Jokes aside, I don't think it's owt to do with that tbh. R+L '11 was the only show that I'd been to out of the GOATs I mentioned.

3 songs - one downtuned, skipped the falsetto on another and let someone else sing the part on a third - thats 3 of the 5 OoS songs that don't get played often. And no-one ever mentions the second half of those classic R+L 2011 shows do they? The considerably less classic half..

What song did he skip the falsetto on? If you mean the G#5 in Micro Cuts, he's been skipping that since they started playing it.

Plus, on the flip side of a lot of this - the '01 performances of Space Dementia skipped the guitar, Matt used to frequently skip the Hyper Music A4s, Bliss didn't have the falsetto, etc. It's all relative, different versions have pros and cons.

The second half of the show is almost irrelevant tbh, though it was still reasonably solid. Origin was the crux of the show, just like the requests were the crux of SBE imo - anything else is just extra.

Is this why you don't rate R+L or Glasto? :p

:D Nah, I retired from Glastonbury after '02 and skipping Reading '11 was a conscious decision. The OoS show I saw was great, they were second headline before The Prodigy and blew them away. Still not a classic though!

It drives me crazy I was at Earls Court for Morrissey, the very night before the 2 Muse '04 shows but just couldn't fit in one more gig before xmas...:'(

EC was terrible for me in 2004, not the best venue for gigs & an woeful, boring dull crowd who just came because MTV told them to. I'm glad I sold my ticket to Reading in 2011, I didn't miss anything that I hadn't seen before, least I could hear Mr Brexit do the vocals himself rather than Chris.

I wish I had gone to Wembley in 2003 but it was too tough with back to back gigs the same night they played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bjifquO5EQ&feature=youtu.be&t=185

Spot the difference, first random 2001 vid I found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqToPAZUQw&feature=youtu.be&t=171

Still not saying it wasn't a cracking gig if you were there but come on..

That's not fair, it's a 10 year difference. Micro Cuts at Reading was still amazing, do you think from how much he performs he would be able to sing Micro Cuts that well after 10 years?

I'm glad I sold my ticket to Reading in 2011, I didn't miss anything that I hadn't seen before

Full album in order, Origin production, mostly one-off visuals, Space Dementia w/ guitar, Megalomania w/ flames, arguably best-ever performances of some songs.

Darkshines w/ The Chord

Arguably Screenager for the perfect guitar tone + vocals; Space Dementia for the guitar outro and Hyper Music for the A4s and basically the only time Chris nailed the chorus

Ok! Gonna check them out, not listened to anything since the time.

2nd genuine question why Reading and not Leeds?

That would have been worth it alone :facemelt:

One of the heaviest thinggggggggs

All the CO2 :facemelt:

Which songs?!? (just curious, not gonna heckle!)

Space Dementia (guitar outro)

Hyper Music (Matt's A4s, Chris does the chorus well, more refined than old versions but still heavy)

Screenager (guitar tone)

Darkshines (The Chord, Matt's a lot more comfortable w/ the vocals, same 'refined' thing as Hyper Music)

2nd genuine question why Reading and not Leeds?

Reading's the only one with pro-audio but it's personal preference per song on which you prefer. Personally I'd say:

New Born - Leeds

Bliss - Reading

Space Dementia - Leeds

Hyper Music - Leeds

Plug In Baby - either

Citizen Erased - either, maybe Leeds

Micro Cuts - either(?)

Screenager - Reading

Darkshines - Reading

Feeling Good - either

Megalomania - Leeds

Edited by Jobby