Knights was the only one I was a bit meh on, just 'cos I don't really like the song and thought this gig should have a different closer for once. Not enough to moan about in the context of the night though, and I still didn't leave early (despite being on the very edge of passing out at that point).

When Knights, PIB, Hysteria, and Butterflies were played they fitted right in with the vibe at the gig, and were greeted rapturously at the time.

Dude, you know Butterflies was voted into the top 10, right? Of course it was well received :chuckle:

Tell me again about US people asking for ONE SONG being entitled whiners. :LOL:

If people saw that SBE setlist... Showbiz, fucking Glorious... and were upset because they also got KoC, they can fuck right off.

People who are more concerned about genres, especially what is or isn't "pop", can as well.

I would be MORE than happy to see an entire gig full of "pop" stuff of the caliber of Dead Inside. And it is fucking tragic that they're dropping one of their best singles in a decade already.

(And it'll still be the Drones era until they stop playing Globalist. :phu: )

After the Brighton Psycho gig I heard people moaning about getting Dead Inside instead of an old rarity - at that point Dead Inside was a song that had never even been heard, never mind played before that day. :LOL:

After the Brighton Psycho gig I heard people moaning about getting Dead Inside instead of an old rarity - at that point Dead Inside was a song that had never even been heard, never mind played before that day. :LOL:

To be fair I seem to remember Futurism being scribbled out on the setlist to make way for DI - could have easily done both

Knights was the only one I was a bit meh on, just 'cos I don't really like the song and thought this gig should have a different closer for once. Not enough to moan about in the context of the night though, and I still didn't leave early (despite being on the very edge of passing out at that point).

Dude, you know Butterflies was voted into the top 10, right? Of course it was well received :chuckle:

I can't accept that fans chose PIB, Hysteria, B&H & KOC, I bet that was them instead, hearing those was a let down, whoever chose those needs to be shot, twice... it was a top gig but not that special...

...They could have done this gig much better but they couldn't resist playing 4 song's they have rinsed like my washing machine, 18 song set list, they are old...

...People like you wished you had seen them when I did, you are the lot that made them into a Pop Act not me I made them big... where were you in September 1999 when I heard & saw Muse...

Yes I know Butterflies was voted in, that's not my point. It was one of the 4 songs that 005 complained about getting, as above. He didn't receive those 4 songs well, and his comments have been pretty vitriolic, triggering a lot of reaction in this thread. That includes Serpent Satellite's post, to which I was responding ;)

My point is, most of us (almost all?) were very grateful for what we got. imo.

Oh right, yeah, forgot about that post tbh. Was never really worth paying them any mind.

Yeah, probably you are right :) But I can see why those posts would get up the noses of people who would loved to have gone to a gig like that and couldn't get tickets/travel etc

Dead Inside was released before it was played live, and we all knew it was gonna be played after that anyway.

Yeah, probably you are right :) But I can see why those posts would get up the noses of people who would loved to have gone to a gig like that and couldn't get tickets/travel etc

And not only that, my friend. What really irked me - as you can read in my extensive and indignated reply up here in the thread - are the implications of being considered like an idiotic kid who's unable to understanding and appreciating their earlier stuff, because I didn't have the chance to discover and follow them from the start, due to my age.

It's something I just could have never avoided for freaking obvious reasons, and that got me so annoyed that I felt the urge to give you-know-who a piece of mind. Self-entitlement at those levels angers me a lot, because it comes from adult people who have the guts of calling others kids, noobs or losers for not despising what they do, but then they behave just as such if not worse.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Dead Inside was released before it was played live, and we all knew it was gonna be played after that anyway.

First broadcast was only 2-3 hours before it was played live when people were already in the queue or even inside. The actual broadcast was only announced on the day of the gig - even with hindsight we didn't all know about its future at that point...

I WAS GRATEFUL

i love dead inside hehehehehe

Was this the best Muse gig since the Abso tour?

Does it rank among some of the GOATs like Glasto '04, Earls Court, R+L '11, Tokyo '07?

questions

Can't stop watching vids, it's like one of those 'BH&R in full @ SBE' dreams I used to have and go on about all the time. But this actually happened, like, tf?

Was this the best Muse gig since the Abso tour?

Does it rank among some of the GOATs like Glasto '04, Earls Court, R+L '11, Tokyo '07?

questions

Can't stop watching vids, it's like one of those 'BH&R in full @ SBE' dreams I used to have and go on about all the time. But this actually happened, like, tf?

In my opinion, definitely. But maybe my view is a bit subjective, since I was actually there.

The Earls Court and Glastonbury '04 shows have something magical to me. They were/are 'legendary' Muse shows. The band was at its peak there. Sure, nowadays they may not be as good as they used to be quality-wise. But this SBE gig still feels like a dream and, imo, can rival shows like Glasto and Earls Court in terms of atmosphere and set. This was unique show. But again, I'm pretty fucking biased.

It was a good'un, def best since RAH 2008.

Not sure I'd count the 04 and 11 (or any) festival gigs as all time greats. Especially 2011 - trumped by so many '01 shows for setlist and performance. Also, Earls Court > Glastonbury

Does context not come into it to some extent though?

In '01, all those songs were off the album being toured so (other than them being sick) there wasn't really anything special about them being played. Whereas, jump to '11, a bunch of them haven't been touched for 9/10 years and they're played in order for the first time.

As for the the fests in general thing, gotta massively disagree. Glasto's an easy contender for GOAT and a lot of their fest shows have always been standouts of their respective tours. Eurockeennes '00, Route Du Rock '01, multiple from '04, Reading + Eden Project '06, Isle Of Wight '07, Rock Am Ring '10, R+L '11, Download '15...

Edited by Jobby

Does context not come into it to some extent though?

In '01, all those songs were off the album being toured so (other than them being sick) there wasn't really anything special about them being played. Whereas, jump to '11, a bunch of them haven't been touched for 9/10 years and they're played in order for the first time.

As for the the fests in general thing, gotta massively disagree. Glasto's an easy contender for GOAT and a lot of their fest shows have always been standouts of their respective tours. Eurockeennes '00, Route Du Rock '01, multiple from '04, Reading + Eden Project '06, Isle Of Wight '07, Rock Am Ring '10, R+L '11, Download '15...

Its so subjective though - skewed towards more recent gigs, broadcast/released gigs, festival gigs cos more people were there etc.

Can only be settled by excessive use of polls!

In '01, all those songs were off the album being toured so... there wasn't really anything special about them

:LOL:

Except of course, a lot of those shows were special - proper 3 piece, absolutely on peak form. Reading 2011 was a decent treat tor everyone who went but it wasn't the same..

:LOL:

Except of course, a lot of those shows were special - proper 3 piece, absolutely on peak form. Reading 2011 was a decent treat tor everyone who went but it wasn't the same..

You've spectacularly missed the point of what I said there? :chuckle:

Of course the band were ludicrously good back then. I said the setlists themselves weren't special for the time, as brilliant as the songs are and Muse were as a live act. R+L 2011's set was technically more special because, aside from being longer, those songs were a hell of a lot rarer by that point and were played in order for the first time. Not to mention the unique, dedicated stage setup and visuals. Which is why I said the context a gig takes place in can change how it should be valued.

Indeed.

I went to Earls Court 2004 - peak Muse you (and I frankly) might say. It was a special show back then and it's an even more special show in many ways given how Muse have changed since then.

BUT.

I enjoyed Reading 2011 equally as much, if not more, and I could say the same for Download 2015 and SBE 2017.

You've spectacularly missed the point of what I said there? :chuckle:

Of course the band were ludicrously good back then. I said the setlists themselves weren't special for the time, as brilliant as the songs are and Muse were as a live act. R+L 2011's set was technically more special because, aside from being longer, those songs were a hell of a lot rarer by that point and were played in order for the first time. Not to mention the unique, dedicated stage setup and visuals. Which is why I said the context a gig takes place in can change how it should be valued.

It was technically weaker - downtuned and avoiding some of the bits that they used to knock out night after night effortlessly. It being a one-off (2-off?) nostalgia show was cool but does that really make it one of the greatest shows? Cos it was longer? Most average Muse show I ever saw was the longest. Cos it had a special stage? Whatever..

I'm not missing the point, I just think the bar should be a little higher - I'm not saying it wasn't a great night but they can't all be the greatest and it wouldn't get near my top 10 all-time shows.

On the other hand, still kicking myself for missing Earl's Court, that would definitely make my list.

Indeed.

I went to Earls Court 2004 - peak Muse you (and I frankly) might say. It was a special show back then and it's an even more special show in many ways given how Muse have changed since then.

BUT.

I enjoyed Reading 2011 equally as much, if not more, and I could say the same for Download 2015 and SBE 2017.

I also went to these gigs and agree about Earls's Court '04. R&L was marred for me because some of the crowd near me didn't know half the Origin songs and lost interest, so the crowd atmosphere wasn't as great as it could have been.

I'd add Wembley 2007 to the list of great 'big' gigs.

But SBE was bloody epic, and surpassed my expectations completely.

I'd love to see them do Absolution from start to finish. That'd be my dream gig.