Reapers was a radio single at rock radio and was still only rotated live.

Now it's gone completely during its own album cycle. People in the US are hearing that song on the radio, going to gigs to find it not there, but getting pop hits from a decade ago.

I just want to point out that I have never heard Reapers on any L.A. area rock station, so I'm really curious just exactly where "Reapers" was a single. Exactly how widespread could it have really been if it wasn't even played in LA FM radio?

And if you look at any random gig from a couple of pages back you can see nearly everyone who went to the 2016 gigs thought they were great.

In Europe... America left a lot to desire for a lot of fans.

This board hostile? :wtf: imagine if you guys were on atease then.

The overlap on the atease/ASD venn diagram is pretty spectacular, it does have a handful of v cool posters tho..

The overlap on the atease/ASD venn diagram is pretty spectacular, it does have a handful of v cool posters tho..

It's way more fun than .mu!

So this offers no discussion whatsoever but I'd never seen Dee before at a gig (despite us going to a fair few of the same iirc) and, since SBE, I keep seeing him wherever I go while I travel :chuckle: Weird, man. Dresses well tho, fair play to him.

I just want to point out that I have never heard Reapers on any L.A. area rock station, so I'm really curious just exactly where "Reapers" was a single. Exactly how widespread could it have really been if it wasn't even played in LA FM radio?

In Europe... America left a lot to desire for a lot of fans.

It was not country-wide, and there's argument if it was a "true" single or not as the band never appeared to promote it as such until afterwards with the Record Store Day vinyl single. And it was primarily limited to areas that still have those old fashioned "cock rock" stations, which I assume isn't really a thing in LA.

I assume you heard Dead Inside on the radio, or even Mercy, which I can assure you unless you were in one of the areas of MN where a non-mainstream station actually got reception, that you wouldn't have heard those where I am.

Nevertheless, it hit number 2 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songs chart, beating Uprising in chart position and number of plays during peak on the stations that picked it up.

There were at least 10 cities where it became one of the most played rock tracks of that time period, and the most played Muse track of all time.

MN, having one of those cock rock stations that's running out of stuff to play that isn't 20+ years old, played it all the time, still plays it, and actually starting playing other Muse singles because of it. (You'll now hear Hysteria, KoC, Starlight, and even Dig Down on a very regular basis.) Reapers absolutely introduced people in this area to Muse. People who would appreciate "heavier" tracks.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

In some ways, I think that the debate about playing old songs for die-hards versus greatest hits for casuals is ignoring one possibility. Maybe, just maybe, playing some older songs with enthusiasm on a more regular basis could actually generate interest in the older material among casuals. Why not try to transform a few casuals into die-hards by introducing them to songs that they've possibly not heard before? Now, I understand that someone who only knows Madness might not run out and buy Origin because they heard Micro Cuts for the first time. Nonetheless, a live band as great as Muse has shown the potential to be must have the ability to inspire people to consider exploring their back catalog.

On the other hand, Muse may simply want to continue in the pop direction and do not have much interest in creating new fans of their older heavier material. If that's their prerogative, then so be it I guess.

One of my uni mates described Muse as her favourite band yet hadn't even heard some of the 'older' tracks such as Cave or Darkshines. :chuckle:

So, if this somehow happens again (I'm not sure tbh), what would peeps' new 10 be? Let's say going off the last list, since we've no idea what could be added.

City Of Delusion

Invincible

Cave

Uno

Falling Down

Ruled By Secrecy

Do We Need This?

Eternally Missed

Falling Away With You

Endlessly

And what do you reckon needs to be added? Hoodoo was a shocking miss imo, no idea why it was left out. Can't Take My Eyes Off You was a weird one too, considering it only popped up 4 years ago. In Your World needs a shout, being a single. Then, for b-sides, Host, HCM, Recess and Shrinking Universe (lowered) would all probs get decent demand.

Escape

Hate this & I'll love you

Space Dementia

Dark Shines

In Your World

Apocalypse Please

Falling Away..

Small Print

Endlessly

Agitated

Tbh if another gig happened and I was fortunate enough to land a ticket, I would vote for some of the ones played here because I didn't get in the first time. But then that's probably as much just down to me and a slight butthurty-ness from this endeavour. :chuckle:

Wouldn't be surprised if there were others like that tbf. Guess it depends on the crowd as much as anything.

I'd definitely vote for some of the songs I already saw. Muscle Museum, Easily, Showbiz and Glorious were all utterly outstanding and I'd deeply enjoy them at any gig.

I'd chuck in City of Delusion, Exo Politics, Space Dementia, Ruled By Secrecy. and a couple of others which seemed to be popular on message boards etc at the time.

htaily

Legit ashamed I missed that

I feel like the band's totally forgotten it exists though, so I reckon this fan-push it's started to see over the last year or two would need to pick up a bit more for them to think to include it. Bit like how Assassin needed a few years of increasing fan-backing for them to actually realise people wanted it and bring it back into the picture.

I find it odd that people manage to own every album, listen to them daily and still manage to not recognize the songs.

Honestly, the review reads like someone's lame attempt at satire.

New top 10:

Hate This & I'll Love You

City Of Delusion

Host

Falling Away With You

Shrinking Universe

Eternally Missed

The Small Print

Darkshines

MK Ultra

Dead Star

Edited by Clunge

In Your World

Space Dementia

Hyper Music

Endlessly

Ruled By Secrecy

Shrinking Universe

Spiral Static

City of Delusion

Animals

Cave

(If no SBE songs are to be played. Otherwise Deadstar, Glorious and Showbiz should stick around in place of Endlessly, Animals and Cave.)

No SBE songs eh?

Apocalypse Please

Megalomania

Ruled By Secrecy

The Small Print

Invincible

Space Dementia

City Of Delusion

Endlessly

Cave (Jazzy obvs)

Hoodoo

Bit piano heavy but oh well. Holding onto a sliver of hope that they do a request show in the States.

Edited by Luigi.

It was not country-wide, and there's argument if it was a "true" single or not as the band never appeared to promote it as such until afterwards with the Record Store Day vinyl single. And it was primarily limited to areas that still have those old fashioned "cock rock" stations, which I assume isn't really a thing in LA.

I assume you heard Dead Inside on the radio, or even Mercy, which I can assure you unless you were in one of the areas of MN where a non-mainstream station actually got reception, that you wouldn't have heard those where I am.

Nevertheless, it hit number 2 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songs chart, beating Uprising in chart position and number of plays during peak on the stations that picked it up.

There were at least 10 cities where it became one of the most played rock tracks of that time period, and the most played Muse track of all time.

MN, having one of those cock rock stations that's running out of stuff to play that isn't 20+ years old, played it all the time, still plays it, and actually starting playing other Muse singles because of it. (You'll now hear Hysteria, KoC, Starlight, and even Dig Down on a very regular basis.) Reapers absolutely introduced people in this area to Muse. People who would appreciate "heavier" tracks.

Lucky you guys. I would have loved hearing it on the radio. We have two "new rock / new alternative" stations that totally played Dead Inside and Mercy. We have a classic rock station that wouldn't play Muse. We have another classic rock station that's become more "rock rock" that did not play it either.