But when you say "Even casual Muse fans aren't like other acts casuals", what you mean to say is that "casual Muse fans aren't like casual Katy Perry/other pop act's fans". Seems like it matters a lot who we compare to.

So you honestly don't think that there's a difference between those who go to see say, Katy Perry (or someone idk) and those who go for Muse?

you'll get people going to hear stuff like Teenage Dream, and don't have a clue about any single album track. But the opposite casuals for Muse may know an assassin, or some other random album track. Dunno but it just seems like Muse have a lot more of that type of fan than solely just the casual turning up for only Madness.

(Also, I think this is in some way related to genres, as all the other examples I can think of that are similar are rock bands)

But it's in terms of comparing hits fans motivations... So the Muse pop loving section, may still know some of the back catalogue, whereas those others won't bother to or just don't

This is arguably the worst argument I've ever read on board.muse.mu

Plus those people attending concerts for having a good night out without knowing the band or only one song, like Madness. And if Madness, they'd like to hear similar songs like that. Btw, those people should better go to clubs or bars and leave the concert immediately :LOL:

Unfortunately, I also think that if Muse started playing this same type of setlist on a more regular basis, the same complaints would inevitably come up as the songs become less and less rare. But that's sort of another argument.

Unfortunately, I also think that if Muse started playing this same type of setlist on a more regular basis, the same complaints would inevitably come up as the songs become less and less rare. But that's sort of another argument.
I don't think anyone is suggesting they should play these songs only for the next few tours.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they should play these songs only for the next few tours.

No I know, and it sometimes seems like it actually boils down to heavier songs in smaller venues vs hits in arenas. I only meant to add given the band's current choices, I don't believe that bringing back these songs would solve much (but I do think that as is regularly suggested, bringing more rotation to the sets would be the most logical improvement to do).

Surely even some casuals know things like Miscle Museum and Butterflies though? Maybe even Assassin. Even casual Muse fans aren't like other acts casuals, in that they do know some of the more famous album tracks. Think it just depends which ones they pick... Especially if they pick something high energy and the crowd enjoys it anyway

But I definitely wouldn't want them to play sometbing, it get a shite reaction, and then put them off

I wish it was so, but to be fair...not really. In the Unsustainable tour I remember Bliss and Sunburn getting very tame reactions, In my drones gig Stockholm might as well have been a new song, and when Citizen Erased kicked in the whole arena seemed unsure what was going on. As some other people pointed out... Muse spent the last 10 years marketing themselves as a pop-rock band, and it has worked out well for them. But they did become hostages to their singles. I don't blame them for going on venues packed with 20k people and not taking risks with old heavier songs, though. That's just a logical step given their musical direction and what that changed for the "Muse" brand. The average Joe with a muse ticket leaves the arena very satisfied, and I guess that's what matters at the end of the day.

From the videos though it seems very clear to me that the band felt less contrived and just happier overall, during the SBE gig. I hope they do let that feeling guide them in further releases.

Also it has been very satisfying reading about everyone's positive experiences at the gig. It's definitely a good change of scenery for this board: it has been moaning collectively ever since the TR tour kicked off without MK Ultra in the sets :LOL:

Edited by s3ker

The answer to this is to do exactly what Matt Bellamy claims he wants to do (speaking on Twitter after the sbe gig)

"In future we will do other shows like this I'm sure. Maybe 'on the side' to accompany big shows. "

Simple as that. So they could do say Manchester Arena for two nights and a fans night at the Manchester Academy on a third night. Of course whether they actually follow through with that idea is another thing entirely.

I haven't posted on here for about 8 years as I find it sometimes gets a bit fan boyish. Certain people think their opinion is more valid than anyone else. But hey, we'll get over it.

I felt I had to post just to say how blown away I was by the SBE gig. Near perfect setlist, in my opinion, and the crowd was the best I've seen at any Muse gig bar none.

I was at the War Child gig at SBE a few years ago and the TCT gig at the RAH, which was my favourite up until Saturday. I've seen them 15 times now but even I thought I was late to the party having first seen them in 2003 on the Absolution tour.

I think it's been fascinating watching them develop and change over the years. I can understand people get frustrated that they aren't the same band they first fell in love with but it happens with most bands. Popularity and critical acclaim are different things. Muse have developed and progressed to stadium rock. The majority of their current worldwide audience will have little knowledge of anything before BH&R and want to hear 'the hits'.

There was a kid on the front of level 1, stage right, holding up a banner all night that read, 'Matt I play Supermassive like a pro. Get me up on stage. Chris Martin does it'.

My first thought was I didn't think Chris Martin would get him on stage to play Supermassive, and I didn't think there was any chance of it being played at this gig. But the kid looked young, probably only been listening to Muse for 5 or 6 years, and wouldn't have a clue to most of what was being played.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but what I'm saying is people should appreciate what they have had. The band aren't going back to what you want them to be unless the bubble bursts and they become their own tribute act on the way down.

I remember seeing the Clash in 1977 and thinking my life had changed and nothing would be the same again. About 4 or 5 years later I was bitching they had become a parody of the band I had first seen and saw them a lot less. Looking back now I wish I'd gone to see them more

My first thought was I didn't think Chris Martin would get him on stage to play Supermassive, and I didn't think there was any chance of it being played at this gig. But the kid looked young, probably only been listening to Muse for 5 or 6 years, and wouldn't have a clue to most of what was being played.

That's not necessarily how it needs to be though. If he's listened to Muse for 5 to 6 years, he's had plenty of time to dig into their albums. They don't even have that many compared to a lot of others bands. And it's all available to him in one way or another.

Yeah, saw that. Cringed a bit, is that harsh? :chuckle:

No, I thought it was very cringy. Maybe it works with other bands?

That's not necessarily how it needs to be though. If he's listened to Muse for 5 to 6 years, he's had plenty of time to dig into their albums. They don't even have that many compared to a lot of others bands. And it's all available to him in one way or another.

I don't know the kid. He might be 12 or he might be 20? He might have discovered Muse last week or 10 years ago? Maybe the early stuff doesn't float his boat? I'm just surmising.

Edited by Offshoreram

I don't know the kid. He might be 12 or he might be 20? He might have discovered Muse last week or 10 years ago? Maybe the early stuff doesn't float his boat? I'm just surmising.

Yeah but I assume that your point was that new fans won't know the old stuff? That's what I was addressing.

Because that brings me back to what I said last page or something, which is that they're simply choosing the wrong singles. Sure Madness, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy etc are a shortcut to stadium gigs. But if what Muse really wanna do is play the rock stuff, then they gotta promote that side of themselves. (Just to bring you up to speed, last tour Matt complained that the audience didn't know their songs so they were forced to play singles).

This is why I think the problem isn't just about "changing" as a band and growing older, because songs like The Handler, Psycho, Reapers, Supremacy, Animals, Liquid State etc aren't that different from their older stuff. The problem is that Muse are promoting themselves as a pop group, then they get disappointed when these new fans of Madness and Follow Me aren't reacting well to Stockholm Syndrome and New Born. Like...you can't have both. Either you (Muse) stand for being a pop group and just play the hits for as many years as you can, or you stop catering to people you don't enjoy playing for.

Yeah but I assume that your point was that new fans won't know the old stuff? That's what I was addressing.

Because that brings me back to what I said last page or something, which is that they're simply choosing the wrong singles. Sure Madness, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy etc are a shortcut to stadium gigs. But if what Muse really wanna do is play the rock stuff, then they gotta promote that side of themselves. (Just to bring you up to speed, last tour Matt complained that the audience didn't know their songs so they were forced to play singles).

This is why I think the problem isn't just about "changing" as a band and growing older, because songs like The Handler, Psycho, Reapers, Supremacy, Animals, Liquid State etc aren't that different from their older stuff. The problem is that Muse are promoting themselves as a pop group, then they get disappointed when these new fans of Madness and Follow Me aren't reacting well to Stockholm Syndrome and New Born. Like...you can't have both. Either you (Muse) stand for being a pop group and just play the hits for as many years as you can, or you stop catering to people you don't enjoy playing for.

Good points but isn't that the Catch 22 with most bands?

Either you alienate older fans, or fans who prefer the riffier stuff, by playing the 'pop' singles. Or you alienate the potentially bigger audience by throwing in a rarity or 5 that only gets a limited response.

I'm 59 years old, been going to gigs regularly since I was 14, and certainly over the last few years I've noticed a huge shift in audience reactions to bands, not just Muse. People seem to go to the 'bigger' gigs just so they can check in on social media. They might know a hit or two but spend most of the gig chatting or going in and out for drinks all evening. It might be different down the front but those days have gone for me. I need a seat but you end up letting people in and out all show. I'm sure this must also effect the atmosphere and get picked up by the band.

I've made a conscious decision to curtail my gig going from next year when I'm 60 and that is mostly because of the audience attitude. Gigs like Saturday restore my faith but they a few and far between nowadays. (switching old man mode off ;) )

Good points but isn't that the Catch 22 with most bands?

Either you alienate older fans, or fans who prefer the riffier stuff, by playing the 'pop' singles. Or you alienate the potentially bigger audience by throwing in a rarity or 5 that only gets a limited response.

I'm 59 years old, been going to gigs regularly since I was 14, and certainly over the last few years I've noticed a huge shift in audience reactions to bands, not just Muse. People seem to go to the 'bigger' gigs just so they can check in on social media. They might know a hit or two but spend most of the gig chatting or going in and out for drinks all evening. It might be different down the front but those days have gone for me. I need a seat but you end up letting people in and out all show. I'm sure this must also effect the atmosphere and get picked up by the band.

I've made a conscious decision to curtail my gig going from next year when I'm 60 and that is mostly because of the audience attitude. Gigs like Saturday restore my faith but they a few and far between nowadays. (switching old man mode off ;) )

Yeah of course, but what I'm talking about is that Muse certainly aren't helping their case by pandering to a pop audience. You can never avoid casuals coming to the gigs, but you can definitely decrease the number of casuals by...not pretending to be a pop band for promotion. I mean, what would happen if Muse had released Psycho as single 1, Reapers as single 2, and Dead Inside as single 3 for the last album? I mean sure their pop pandering goes back further than that, but unless they make a change now, they're the ones who are gonna be stuck playing the same pop hits for the next 15 years. They're gonna get rich doing it, but they don't get to complain that people don't wanna rock out at their gigs anymore. (Now I'm just repeating myself).

It's only a catch 22 if Muse need to play stadiums instead of arenas. Because those extra thousand audience members surely aren't doing the atmosphere any favours.

Why not accept that it is now a minority of Muse fans who want to hear the older stuff? It just feels really obvious. . It doesn't make the new stuff any better or the old stuff any less magnificent, it's just the way it is.

No-one's making them write and release Dig Down and they're playing stadiums based on their reputation. They are a 'Glastonbury headliner, as seen on TV' and up there with Adele, Coldplay, Foo Fighters etc.

They're overdue a big hits/compilation album, the song selections on that are gonna define the audiences they get for pretty much the rest of their career...