bliss would have been a nice alternate closer, and so would take a bow. i bet the former got more votes than the latter, though, and, upon considering the setlist again as it played out, maybe TaB would have felt slightly out of place.

I think SS would have been great as an old school closer, too.

Not seen anyone else mention it yet but did y'all see Matt getting a bit emotional during MM? Particularly as it got closer to the end. He'd switch from looking angsty to his bottom lip starting to curl up a bit - I was in awe, 'specially seeing it so close up, looked like a time machine back to '99. Can't stop thinking about it.

Surprised he didn't mention it along with Showbiz, Easily and Glorious as one of his faves.

I think SS would have been great as an old school closer, too.

I think they'd run out of riffs after New Born tbf :chuckle: God, that was fucking incredible.

Slight change I would've made to the setlist - ditch Hysteria and put Stockholm between New Born and the riff fest and then replace Knights with Bliss.

These are really good. And yes audio is v good especially on Easily. Well done ��

Thanks! Happy to hear they came out good! :)

Slight change I would've made to the setlist - ditch Hysteria and put Stockholm between New Born and the riff fest and then replace Knights with Bliss.

I agree, that would have been even more insane! But seriously, we got the best setlist from Muse ever :LOL:

14th time seeing Muse on Saturday over 14 years and quite possibly my favourite, up there with the best. Couldn't believe the songs that kept coming!

Managed to get a seat on front row of level 2, awesome view, crowd, pit looked insane. Would normally have gone with my husband but he was working away abroad (he's so gutted he missed it), took a friend who'd never seen Muse but always wanted...she'd only heard a few songs that they played but she had a great time and enjoyed hearing the rarities.

Here's some of my pics...

35898946594_1243c61142_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

36563820062_bc5f2d421b_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

35898933374_c0c9381b79_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

36733653395_954ccf66db_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

36563815702_02175f860b_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

35898947854_b0268c26c8_z.jpgMuse - Shepherds Bush O2 Empire 19/8/17 by Kavita, on Flickr

I don't think I want to see them again now! :LOL: Arena gig after the Psycho gig didn't cut it, don't think anything will after Saturday! :D

After all I've also been to many shows with a packed audience and experienced to stand tightly. But this one just seemed like a whole other level. Even before the band when on stage it looked like people were standing unusually tight, but when they did the whole floor just moved even closer to the front. Of course it's part of the experience, but it must have been uncomfortable enough to not enjoy the show 100%, if you were not in the first three rows I guess.

I think aiming for 15-20th row at Reading will be just perfect.

Well, during Reading 2011 I was standing right in the middle in 15-20th row. Just before Muse came out it was already pretty tight there. During the first sounds of New Born all people suddenly decided to move forward in waves. Imagine a huge ocean of people moving back and forth and you can't do much here. I immediately realised that I most probably won't survive it until the end. When during Bliss I couldn't get a grasp of fresh air because my ribs (and lungs together with them) were so squeezed, I decided that while I'm still conscious, I will try and move back. Well, it took me awhile to try and squeeze back... It only happened when I shouted: 'I can't breathe!'. Some guys actually managed to pull me through the crowd that was going insane. I went way back and only at the first barrier that divides the crowd I actually could start breathing again. Needless to say I can't remember first 2 songs at all. Since this experience, I never go to the very front and I always ALWAYS stay on one of the sides. On Saturday I was at row 5, then around 10, but not at any moment I felt squeezed or being thrown around, just because I was standing on one of the sides (right in front of Chris). Also, it's only at the Reading festival I thought I'm gonna die, everywhere else I've been to, was great. I was in a second row during Metallica at Glastonbury and I had so much space around me that I could freely dance my crazy dances!

Anyway, this huge text was meant to be a warning of not keeping your hopes too high for the 15-20th row at the Reading festival and not to be squished to death :)

Yep, that would be me :LOL:

Wow, so you were the guy on my left with whom I sang the Grand Omega Bosses part at the end of Assassin !

"They'll try to steal your liiiiiiiiiiife

So watch your baaaaaaaack

You're not aaaalooooooooone

But you must aaaaactualise

The first aaaattaaaaack....."

... and then I lost you in the crowd, going wild again on Dead Star. You passed over my head around the end of KoC.

I wanted to thank you as thanks to your yellow Viking hat I can find me in the videos of the gig :LOL:

That was one of the many funny moments in the pit of this incredible gig. The circle pit on KoC was something as well.

There were quite a few singing the GOB part I think - me included! Defo heard it get at least a bit of a singalong (I was middle-front).

One thing that hasn't really been touched on yet....

I am so proud of everybody in the audience who managed to clap in time to the Munich Jam, especially the fast bits :LOL:

Speaking of Munich Jam, it was fucking great. Was it played that fast last year? Dom gave Chris a look at the end which looked like "wtf did you just do to me" :LOL:

Speaking of Munich Jam, it was fucking great. Was it played that fast last year? Dom gave Chris a look at the end which looked like "wtf did you just do to me" :LOL:

Afaik, Munich Jam wasn't played as fast ever during Drones tour. This year in the U.S. they have been playing it a bit faster, but not as fast as SBE gig :D

edit.

typical Drones tour speed:

U.S. 2017:

SBE (the whole jam faster here though, not just the final parts, seems the fastest ever version):

Edited by Kmusecian

Afaik, Munich Jam wasn't played as fast ever during Drones tour. This year in the U.S. they have been playing it a bit faster, but not as fast as SBE gig :D

They probably didn't have the in ear's going 'Munich Jam' with the beat. Chris was obviously high on the gig, I've not seen him head bang like that in a long time!

Ok, got back home last night and just got done reading through the last 30 or so pages of this thread!

Best gig of my life, nothing even comes close. Setlist-wise it was beyond my expectations - they only missed 2 of the 10 I voted for.

My friends and I were way too early and first in the seated queue - we had 2nd level and I am really short so I had to guarantee myself first row. The view was amazing. and I am so glad I wasn't on the floor -- I knew it would be rough and didn't want anything to distract from soaking in the gig as much as possible. The friend I transferred my stalls ticket to ended up on the barrier in front of Chris, so that worked out well! :happy:

I made a playlist of my videos - I saw a few linked earlier. The quality varies but some of them are really good

So psyched they opened with Assassin/Dead Star. God everything just sounded so, so good. Easily blew me away. I didn't vote for it, I actually wasn't a huge fan but my god, it sounded amazing and it's totally one of my favorites now. Who was it on here that said it kills Resistance and should be played instead -- my wish X1000. Glorious was the highlight, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd hear it played live. It's one of my fav songs ever and I cried like a baby through it and prob looked like a crazy person but sorry, not sorry.

And to finally hear Showbiz! I figured this was at least the one song that was a lock, so I kind of expected it, but WOW. Even Matt's vocals sounded good and I'd give anything for them to actually keep it around but I am not getting my hopes up.

B&H/New Born -- these are still rare for me and I loved hearing them.

S4A was the biggest surprise. I voted for it and didn't think it had a chance. Another dream come true.

Was kind of expecting them to close with Stockholm so when MWAH started I was like....noooo...but it's OK. I can't really complain after a show like that.

Walking out it felt like a dream. I am so glad I recorded so much of it, otherwise I would feel like it didn't happen. I was really emotional afterwards and it's been a while since a Muse gig had made me feel that way. I loved them for coming through on their promise, and giving us exactly what we had been wanting for so long. But I was also sad. Knowing the potential -- and seeing how happy and into it they were, yet knowing that they won't keep doing it. And even worse -- that they will come back here to the US and go back to the trash they've been playing. It is what it is, though.

We saw the guys when they arrived Sat afternoon and that was a treat as well. Dom was in the best mood I've ever seen him with fans :D When Matt came through, some guy behind me told him he voted for SMBH and would they play it. Good for Matt for being like "um, no it wasn't voted on.." :LOL:

Anyway I still can't really wrap my head around it all. Saturday was pretty much one of the best days of my life all around.

hopefully this gig will remind them how these types of songs leave such an emotional impact on their fans. and maybe go back to this style of music writing and lyrics?

Glorious was the highlight, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd hear it played live. It's one of my fav songs ever and I cried like a baby through it and prob looked like a crazy person but sorry, not sorry.

I really hope you can't see me in any pics/vids of Glorious - I was the definition of a mess :chuckle:

It'd never hit me like that before but the collective atmosphere of the fans finally seeing it live after 11 years of asking, it actually sounding amazing and Dom's ludicrously happy face all tipped me over the edge.

It'd never hit me like that before but the collective atmosphere of the fans finally seeing it live after 11 years of asking, it actually sounding amazing and Dom's ludicrously happy face all tipped me over the edge.

That's it -- they just looked so pleased and happy. Do they not get it? They could feel like that again - and get that reaction again. Several times even. And I mean in general with these songs, not just Glorious. You'd think they would feed off it like a drug but I guess not?

Edited by hyena
clarification

Eternally missed would have brought the flow to a crashing halt. It's good, but it doesn't quite have enough going on

:LOL:

I think they feel a bit stuck. A lot of people here have talked about how this is a sign that these songs should be played more regularly, but you all realise the reaction at their usual gigs will be near total silence, right?

Muse would either have to stop giving a fuck and play these songs even though the casuals won't like it, but then the gig would be quite awkward and it wouldn't be enjoyable for Muse so...I mean they could just keep doing it until the casuals stopped coming, but that would probably take a few years of disappointing audiences before they could go back to playing smaller venues to people who know all their songs.

OR they would have to start releasing singles that actually represent what kind of band they wanna be. If they release pop songs as singles, then people are gonna come expecting a pop band. If Muse actually start releasing their rock songs as singles, they might not sell those extra thousand tickets, but they will surely be received much better at the gigs.

Reapers was a great single choice, and it's so strange to me that it wasn't promoted more. If Muse are unhappy with casual crowds, take some fucking action.

Surely even some casuals know things like Miscle Museum and Butterflies though? Maybe even Assassin. Even casual Muse fans aren't like other acts casuals, in that they do know some of the more famous album tracks. Think it just depends which ones they pick... Especially if they pick something high energy and the crowd enjoys it anyway

But I definitely wouldn't want them to play sometbing, it get a shite reaction, and then put them off

Yeah, Tjet's whole post ^^

I don't kid myself that any of these songs would get anywhere near that reaction outside of another similar type of gig. I think they've spent too long establishing themselves as something else for the last 8-10 years, and those songs have spent too long outside of the limelight for crowds to react in the same way.

If they wanna get anything close to that kind of reaction for older songs at bigger gigs that aren't packed with hardcore fans, it's gonna take a lot of work to change general audiences' perception of them first - and I think it's too late tbh.

But I definitely wouldn't want them to play sometbing, it get a shite reaction, and then put them off

Predicting this to happen with Showbiz @ R+L tbh. I hope not though, would be lovely to be proven wrong.

Even casual Muse fans aren't like other acts casuals, in that they do know some of the more famous album tracks.

What's your source on that?

What's your source on that?

Going on experience

Speaking to friends over the years, when talking about hits and then they come out with "oh yeah and what about that song Assassin! That's pretty cool too", further interactions of a similar ilk.

Also from personal experiences being in the crowd when Take a Bow came on during the Drones Tour and it getting a sizeable pop from the crowd. Same thing with Ruled by Secrecy on the 2nd Law Tour, the crowd reaction was pretty knowledgable

You wouldn't get that with John Doe attending say, an All Saints gig

Edited by Rustyy

All first hand accounts I've ever heard of RBS have been "it was good but people talked over it"

So you honestly don't think that there's a difference between those who go to see say, Katy Perry (or someone idk) and those who go for Muse?

you'll get people going to hear stuff like Teenage Dream, and don't have a clue about any single album track. But the opposite casuals for Muse may know an assassin, or some other random album track. Dunno but it just seems like Muse have a lot more of that type of fan than solely just the casual turning up for only Madness.

(Also, I think this is in some way related to genres, as all the other examples I can think of that are similar are rock bands)