Dunno why, but I felt the need to read all the posts in this thread from just before the gig started 'til the end. I really don't pop round here often enough.

Surprisingly, I'm so pleased for everyone who managed to get tickets! To hear of how hardened, cynical Musers gushed like schoolgirls demonstrates just how well the guys did, and to hear (and see!) that they themselves were having *so* much fun just makes the whole all the more lovely... How (to quote Clunge) unifying, indeed!

I would be interested to analyse the actual statistics of the poll, to see the numbers all the way down to the tracks that got just one vote - it might give us a clearer picture of what really 'defines' Muse (and Musers!). Instead of just hearsay or general wisdom, we'd have something resembling a breakdown of the songs that really resonate with us, the ones that attract us so strongly to the band and their aesthetic.

I wonder if Easily made the cut largely because it was played on BBC Radio 1 - I know it's rather unpopular with fans, so I guess it probably got in there because of that, coupled with the the fact it had never been played before (basically, the novelty factor). I haven't listened to the programme yet, so I don't know whether Matt picked it or if it was the DJ/station trying to fish out something rare to air. I was overjoyed last night when Matt said it's one of his favourites - he actually enthused about it! Here's hoping it stays in the set because of that. I,adore it and would even go as far as to say that it's one of my favourite Muse songs - which is why, despite all the fuzzy feelings I'm having from the outpouring of joy on here, I still hate you all! :LOL:

Props to Tom for the stream, although this was a massive missed opportunity to release a proshot live DVD for the fans, or even just the odd song for Christmas presents. Hopefully they'll have enjoyed this experience (and the Psycho UK Tour) enough to do more (intimate) fan request shows.

Here's hoping takeabow19 or someone similar cam piece together all the best video and audio clips out there for the full gig. I'm off to MuseBootlegs to hunt for a decent DVD...

Enjoy the post-Muse-gig high while you can, folks! It'll turn to depression soon enough ;)

Easily definitely made it after the interview mention, I think that was kind of important in giving people hope they would keep their word.

Plus, if you're going to play a deep cut, then playing a deep cut (in Matt's own words) that he loves, then that's surely a bonus.

Honestly while some choices (Showbiz, Dead Star, Citizen Erased) have always been fan favourites, most other songs are just part of a cycle where a lot of fans seem to think alike.

Assassin was barely mentioned before 2013, but then we got Dead Star, Futurism and Fury, and fans needed a new rarity to get behind as a collective, and Showbiz and Assassin came forward in fan polls.

Easily did indeed come about because of the radio interview. Without that I doubt it would have ever made top10 because people simply wouldn't have thought it was possible. Then Glorious probably got a lot of votes because if Matt was willing to play Easily, he might want to play Glorious too. And of course a lot of people remember how Dom already said he tried to get Matt to play it.

Lots of fans simply think alike when it comes to realistic rarities. Like how Escape started to get requested after it was revealed that Chris wanted to play it.

Easily definitely made it after the interview mention, I think that was kind of important in giving people hope they would keep their word.

Plus, if you're going to play a deep cut, then playing a deep cut (in Matt's own words) that he loves, then that's surely a bonus.

Oh right, so they actually mentioned they might play Easily in that interview (I should really get round to listening to that...)?

Honestly while some choices (Showbiz, Dead Star, Citizen Erased) have always been fan favourites, most other songs are just part of a cycle where a lot of fans seem to think alike.

Assassin was barely mentioned before 2013, but then we got Dead Star, Futurism and Fury, and fans needed a new rarity to get behind as a collective, and Showbiz and Assassin came forward in fan polls.

Easily did indeed come about because of the radio interview. Without that I doubt it would have ever made top10 because people simply wouldn't have thought it was possible. Then Glorious probably got a lot of votes because if Matt was willing to play Easily, he might want to play Glorious too. And of course a lot of people remember how Dom already said he tried to get Matt to play it.

Lots of fans simply think alike when it comes to realistic rarities. Like how Escape started to get requested after it was revealed that Chris wanted to play it.

I see - so it's more a case of playing the game/hedging bets than a true picture of the Muse 'essentials'. That's a shame, but understandable. I'd have known this if I hadn't petulantly ignored the Muse corner of the internet after failing to get tickets (TWICE!) and so didn't witness the strategising :p

Oh right, so they actually mentioned they might play Easily in that interview (I should really get round to listening to that...)?

Yeah Matt said something like 'I think this one might get votes'. It seemed he wanted to play it

With thanks and a million hugs to 'Goldfish_Sara' of this parish i managed to get 2 tickets on floor 2 for the gig and set off at 2.30 from Liverpool.

the good: Fucking everything*, a great mix of exotic songs plus a few known ones that allowed the crowd to get really 'high' on the music. Great venue, loved the atmosphere, and have never sweated so much at a concert. Amazing.

The bad There was a 'reserved' section on floor 2 that stood the whole concert about 25% empty. i can only assume those who's seats they were, were spread around the wings of floor 2 as i had a few behind me. I call them 'Tarquins', or 'Muse tourists', those along for the chat and have no idea what Muse are, and in fact the couple loudly talking behind me until i told them to STFU, said to each other they knew nothing about the group, and came to see what the fuss was about but tried talking and joking through every song.

Shame when those seats could have gone to more deserving fans rather that noisy idiots.

Anyway, i experienced my best Muse gig, and am in need of more of the same, small intimate muse concerts and hope they do something similar soon.

As for 'Goldfish_Sara', what a star and i cannot thank her enough. Thanks Sara

Dave

I see - so it's more a case of playing the game/hedging bets than a true picture of the Muse 'essentials'. That's a shame, but understandable. I'd have known this if I hadn't petulantly ignored the Muse corner of the internet after failing to get tickets (TWICE!) and so didn't witness the strategising :p
Yeah basically. People tried to plan it from the beginning because they wanted to avoid scattering the votes by having everyone vote for their personal favourite, while the casuals would always vote for the same hits. So by simply letting everyone vote for their favourites in inofficial polls, we could quickly gather which songs would stand a chance of being played, and some people adjusted their votes accordingly, basically changing their wasted vote for Nature_1 to a vote for Glorious.

Yeah Matt said something like 'I think this one might get votes'. It seemed he wanted to play it
iirc he also said something about needing to learn it again, and Dom said it would be harder to play (he previously said that none of the songs they play are hard for him)

The balcony on level one was literally bouncing as soon as Assassin kicked in - impressive and caused a few worried looks :eek::LOL:

Bunch of people had actual real tickets not the credit card receipt things.

Looked like friends and family were on the side bit of the balcony - Chris' boy alternated between bored texting and enjoying filming the pit when it kicked off.

Whoever that was sitting at FOH desk at the side stage needs to practice their air drumming..

Yeah basically. People tried to plan it from the beginning because they wanted to avoid scattering the votes by having everyone vote for their personal favourite, while the casuals would always vote for the same hits. So by simply letting everyone vote for their favourites in inofficial polls, we could quickly gather which songs would stand a chance of being played, and some people adjusted their votes accordingly, basically changing their wasted vote for Nature_1 to a vote for Glorious.

iirc he also said something about needing to learn it again, and Dom said it would be harder to play (he previously said that none of the songs they play are hard for him)

Oh Christ, yeah, like that shambles a few years back when everyone voted for Plug in Baby (when it was still a dead cert), I was utterly livid at the stupidity of so many people.

That's actually really cool, the community working together :D Well done, everyone! It makes me happy to think that people put the greater good first and forewent very dearly loved tracks. My dream was Spiral Static, but I think that really is nigh on impossible (even if it did win the popular vote, what with Matt's falsetto waning).

Did anyone notice the extra almost GameBoy / 8-bit extra synths in the Dead Star verses? Very trebley and high in the mix.

Also, Chris's second 'YYYEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!' in Dead Star was hilariously broken :LOL:. And that's why he's the best Museman.

The balcony on level one was literally bouncing as soon as Assassin kicked in - impressive and caused a few worried looks :eek::LOL:

I was just underneath the balcony on the right and a security guard kept coming to inspect cracks in the ceiling, made me a bit worried after it has previously closed because of structural problems!

I was just underneath the balcony on the right and a security guard kept coming to inspect cracks in the ceiling, made me a bit worried after it has previously closed because of structural problems!

Yeah forgot that happened. Seem to recall it was closed for ages too while the inside was rebuilt.

Can imagine it might've caused a little bit of "Eep" moments among staff.

Did anyone notice the extra almost GameBoy / 8-bit extra synths in the Dead Star verses? Very trebley and high in the mix.

Also, Chris's second 'YYYEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!' in Dead Star was hilariously broken :LOL:. And that's why he's the best Museman.

Yeah I noticed the synth in the Instagram stream at the time. Bit different, which seems to keep up a strange versatility to Dead Star given its change again from the guitar verse riffs used at Download 2015.

Didn't work as well as the Whammy solo, mind.

Oh that reminds me I was waiting around for a bit afterwards hoping to meet Matt and Dom and heard some people legit complaining that they didn't play Dig Down or SMBH, because "it's just not a muse gig without smbh".

Saw that earlier without commenting but blimey nora.

I haven't even begun to understand what happened last night. I can't even talk about all those songs...

The biggest surprise for me last night though was how incredibly good new born was! Didn't expect that.

The end of the gig was just complete mayhem. While flying crowd surfing I got spun around, saw people getting naked before landing a meter from Chris just off the barrier and thought "well surely someone hasn't survived this", especially since people were pulled out of the crowd as early as during dead star. Also, the whole Assassin -> dead star intro was a bit like the battle of the bastards. You were just crushed to death

Got back home (Netherlands) about two hours ago and watched the IG-stream back immediately. I stil cannot believe I was there, yesterday seems like a fucking dream. Unbelievable...

This was the best gig I have ever been to. I've seen some fucking amazing shows (stuff like Metallica, A7X, AC/DC and whatnot), but I don't think any show will ever top yesterdays. The crowd was just fucking insane, my god... I really hope this gig opened the guys' eyes and they'll keep some of the songs around!

(Also, the fact nobody around me (LVL2) knew Too Many Puppies and thought it was a new song was pretty funny :LOL:)