'Origin of Muse'

Tesseract

Referring to getting a replacement copy: Yes, I  would if I could get it Immediantly, if the shop where I bought it would have it in stock now! The rest of the box is totally fine.

No, a new vinyl should sound perfectly if the dust got removed with such a brush for vinyl before playing it, and shouldn’t have any scratches! I noticed mine are quite statically charged so the dust loves to stick to it 😅 it‘s maybe from the cover? 

Edited by Claudia O

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

Referring to getting a replacement copy: Yes, I  would if I could get it Immediantly, if the shop where I bought it would have it in stock now! The rest of the box is totally fine.

No, a new vinyl should sound perfectly if the dust got removed with such a brush for vinyl before playing it, and shouldn’t have any scratches! I noticed mine are quite statically charged so the dust loves to stick to it 😅 it‘s maybe from the cover? 

I've found a ton of brand new records are super static right out of the sleeve. It takes a good while for that to go away mostly.

38 minutes ago, Claudia O said:

Yeah, I meant because of the sleeve 😅 I read that a sleeve should have a plastic layer on the inside so the vinyl won‘t get scratches. Well, no plastic layer for Muse .. plus I read that coloured vinyls sound worse than the black ones.

I say if you can't hear the difference, then it doesn't matter. Personally I think the idea that colored vinyl can't sound as good as black is a myth. Black is just another color of plastic to melt and press, why should it be any different? But yeah, the plastic sleeves are a little safer long term. I've always appreciated what Radiohead did on the OK Computer vinyl record I bought years ago, where they included plain sleeves with plastic lining, as well as laminated paper sleeves with artwork on both sides. I keep the records in the plain ones and use the decorated ones as posters in my dorm room. :)

Yeah, I don‘t know. .. I got other coloured vinyl and it sounds great! 

Oh! That‘s a nice idea of Radiohead 🙂

continuing with the CDs of the boxset

Loving the OOS b-sides, think I‘ll put this one on a lot in the near future !

OOS live ...

Feels like ages  ago that I’ve watched the gig on youtube, can’t remember a lot of it..

Good sound for a live recording, as Jobby mentioned earlier! Loving it so far .. that falsetto in Bliss 😍 

Loads of chest voice in Space dementia 😊 

lol .. needed to wake some ppl up with the sounds after Hyper music, Matt? 😂 me turning the volume down a bit ..  But nice hearing the start of the song differently than nowadays 🤪

The neverending beauty of CE, the clear out-of-this-world-heights of Micro cuts .. goosebumps with Megalomania ... this CD is a jewel!

Edited by Claudia O

I always find stuff on youtube I have never seen before, like this one! Suits perfectly to the boxset! do you all know it? It‘s funny, interesting, and here I have some troubles understanding everything Matt says 😅 MTV should do such a weekend again 😍 good ol‘ MTV 🙂

• Like 1

The remastered Showbiz album on CD : yes, they are now listenable. But it showed me that I prefer vinyl to CD, because of Spiral Static. I drooled over it in an earlier post, heard it on vinyl first. Now, on CD 🤔 like it lost its warmth, the WOW-moments! Gonna stick to the Showbiz-vinyl 😁

The ending to Falling down 🤔 it is the same as on the earlier CD, but you can hear it better, clearer! For me it‘s no different version .. am I the only one 😳🤯

Edited by Claudia O

While I'm happy some new material has come out, I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of era specific live material. For those old enough to remember, Muse made their reputation as a live band before gaining critical or commercial success. 2000-2002 was the peak of their live performances, Matt ad-libbed like hell and was too young to worry about his voice,  and it's not reflected in this compilation bar from three or four Astoria 2000 songs.  Granted, a lot of this stuff is available on youtube but it would have been nice to have a properly mastered CD containing highlights from Eurocockenees de Belfort 2000, Bizarre 2000 and La Route Du Rock 2001, or even a DVD considering how expensive the boxset is.

And no Plus in Baby acoustic? Come on!

Count the price of 9 CDs and 4 vinyl together, plus the book .. it‘s not expensive. If it is affordable for every Muser, that‘s the problem. Maybe there should be a „best of OOM“ version out there? Or a „normal“ version and a „deluxe edition“ 🤔🤷‍♀️

I'm talking more about Music rather than physical media. 95% of fans aren't collectors so packaging the vinyls with the CDs have made them unaffordable for some. 

Take account that hours after I made my post, Radiohead launched their public library sharing quite alot of music, videos, artwork for free which puts the creativity up front rather than the physical media with a scare supply. Nothing stops Muse from doing something similar.

It would be interesting how many copies were sold with every special album-box. Collectors buy them and I think if only a tiny amount was sold they wouldn‘t sell another and another edition with every new album! I don‘t think that only 5% are collectors amongst Musers ....  

I don‘t care about Radiohead and I don‘t know more about this library than I just read in your post. So if they wanted to do this, ok! 

according DVDs ... Matt thinks nobody would buy them anymore 😜 which I think isn‘t true.

Edited by Claudia O

I'm late but I did finally get mine over a month after release (despite pre-ordering within an hour of announcement). Even though I had heard most of the Newton Abbot stuff before, I never paid much attention to it because the quality was so bad. But I really enjoyed them on the CD that came with the box set! The songs are still rough around the edges, but the energy is classic Muse.

I also wasn't expecting to love the actual book part of the set as much as I did. It was nice to see the band have such positive things to say about their early material, particularly with how much they have tried to distance themselves from their first couple of albums.

Overall I'm super pleased with the OoM, I just wish it hadn't taken so long to be shipped to me.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 9:43 PM, Tesseract said:

I'm late but I did finally get mine over a month after release (despite pre-ordering within an hour of announcement). Even though I had heard most of the Newton Abbot stuff before, I never paid much attention to it because the quality was so bad. But I really enjoyed them on the CD that came with the box set! The songs are still rough around the edges, but the energy is classic Muse.

I also wasn't expecting to love the actual book part of the set as much as I did. It was nice to see the band have such positive things to say about their early material, particularly with how much they have tried to distance themselves from their first couple of albums.

Overall I'm super pleased with the OoM, I just wish it hadn't taken so long to be shipped to me.

Congrats on getting yours! US fan here ordered mine the first day too, Paypal processed my order and charged me but sadly still no luck with a shipping notification. I check my email and order status multiple times a day hoping for a change, but think it's more and more likely my order will ultimately get canceled. 

Update 2/7: To anyone still holding out hope on their pre-orders, I got an email letting me know  my order was shipping, and receieved it 3 days later! Hopefully everyone else who pre-ordered and is still waiting gets the same news soon enough. Good Luck!

Edited by djp90
New update to order fulfillment

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Having a better Hifi-system now, hearing stuff on CD and vinyl I coudn‘t before .. a question:

Newton Abbot demo ( it sounds a lot better now btw) , in the song Ashamed Matt is singing „Fuck you fuck you“, quite mumbled and drowned, at about 2:43 ?

The vinyls sound better now as well, not excellent tough .. 

btw, parenting done right cause my 12 yrs old is loosing it over Dead Star 🤘😎

Edited by Claudia O