NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

1. At least Isolated System is an original piece, and a pretty great one tbf.

2. No gig needs costume changes.

3. Muse gigs are rarely more than 90 minutes, so bathroom breaks? :erm:. Robert Smith from The Cure must have an exceptional bladder by comparison.

4. NKOK is just horrible :vomit:.

If I can make it through a whole gig without peeing, anyone can. :phu:

Do I like IS or the Jam? No. Am I okay with them (and whatever Matt's doing backstage)? Yes.

Do I like that there's 3+ long instances of downtime... :noey:

NKOK is embarrassing as fuck, and I've never, EVER seen a band do a full playback video of a joke song in the middle of a set. If Matt needed an extra 3 minute break I'd rather they just did a really early encore and shut the lights off.

The fact that fans of a rock band are okay with a playback performance is so strange to me. And it’s not just a “joke” because both Chris and Dom take their parts very seriously, and they if they had an ounce of self awareness they should have realised by now that it’s not coming across as a joke, at least not a funny one.

I get that they tried it once. But to continue to do if after it has gotten such a strange audience reaction every time is just delusional. But hey, as long as people are fine with it they’re gonna get away with anything.

I think the vast majority are against it tbf, it got a pretty massive backlash online back when they first started doing it. I think there was a hashtag like ‘we want live muse’ floating about or something? Glen even liked one of my tweets about it iirc. When they keep doing at every gig though (apart from the 4 in the UK), fans are always gonna either get beaten into submission or just stop following the gigs enough to give a shit.

Same happens just about every tour - Muse do something dumb, fans complain for a while, then stop when they realise the band are gonna keep doing it regardless.

I think the vast majority are against it tbf, it got a pretty massive backlash online back when they first started doing it. I think there was a hashtag like ‘we want live muse’ floating about or something? Glen even liked one of my tweets about it iirc. When they keep doing at every gig though (apart from the 4 in the UK), fans are always gonna either get beaten into submission or just stop following the gigs enough to give a shit.

Same happens just about every tour - Muse do something dumb, fans complain for a while, then stop when they realise the band are gonna keep doing it regardless.

Pretty much.

It's not like I'm begging for NKOK to be kept in the set-- I will always prefer something rare and live over any filter tracks. But in the overall scheme of things, the summer shows were good and fun times were had. There were some standout moments and it was a great getaway. I'm not going to dwell on what could have been.

In this context I am going to assume "rock band" = "plays their instruments (mostly) live."

As opposed to some pop act where all the music is canned and/or electronic. (And often the vocals are playback.)

So yeah, whatever, Muse makes pop tracks... but they're also out there playing their instruments (well, mostly still...) and that's sort of the key that stuff is supposed to actually be, well, live, right?

There's something way more pathetic about someone miming playing a guitar live. Not that that is what Muse is doing. Yet.

I could rattle off dozens of things that the band could do for a vocal rest, all of them a million times better than NKOK.

For a band that's known so much for their visual show, it's kind of embarrassing that they couldn't come up with something other than that.

I really enjoyed the Red Rocks gig, but that doesn't mean I can't also agree that NKOK was an embarrassment in the middle of something that was otherwise pretty awesome (comparatively.)

The FB streamed gig was hilarious, though, because the constant stream of heart and like emotes just completely stopped dead during NKOK. :LOL:

There's something way more pathetic about someone miming playing a guitar live. Not that that is what Muse is doing. Yet.

Never forget the dreaded Handler shitstorm that lasted about 2 hours in 2015.

I could rattle off dozens of things that the band could do for a vocal rest, all of them a million times better than NKOK.

Innit, I've been championing Minimum, The Gallery or a shortened instrumental of Con-Science to get the 'jam' treatment for a couple of years now.

Is that extra 3rd mid-gig break really there for his vocals though? I mean, he seemed fine without it at all the UK gigs - not to mention the shit he pulled off at Shepherd's Bush with only one break. I know that's a relatively short stint of gigs but their schedule's had plenty of gaps this year, his voice can't be that fragile. I think the band do genuinely just think it's funny tbh.

I thought it was to rest the voice.

Surely can't be the case.

He got through four gigs in England/Ireland over the Summer without it in the set while still playing some of their more vocally challenging songs - Showbiz played at Reading/Leeds and of course, 90% of the SBE set - and still sounded fine by the time Knights rolled around.

But could he do that on a regular basis and not just 4 nights? Isolated System has been a thing worldwide as a mid-set break as well as the jam. I could also be laziness but still under the reasoning of a break.

Like I said though, their schedule has had pretty regular breaks this year. I think their longest stint was 8 gigs in June - other than that, they've only been doing 3-6 gigs before having another break.

May - 4 gigs

*2 weeks off*

June - 8 gigs

*4 weeks off*

July - 5 gigs

*1 week off*

August - 3 gigs

*2 weeks off*

UK - 4 gigs

*2 + 1/2 weeks off*

September - 4 gigs

*6 weeks off*