NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

Assassin's one of the few examples where I like it actually, for the GOB part at least. Makes it a smidge weirder and hypnotic.

But, yeah, he does resort to that fuzz/bass/sustain heavy, smooth tone a bit too often for my liking. It's almost become his go-to for any low-string riffage at this point, gets a bit eye-rolly with the harmonic mode abuse on his sustainer pickup. Takes the attack out of things that could sound a lot heavier, in favour of some 'sexy glitch' vibe. It works for songs like Supermassive and maybe PIB but stuff like Stockholm, Agitated, Reapers outro etc. should kick your teeth in, not lick your face.

2011 was the best in heavy tone.

I'd give Abso a shout, I've merely heard tales of what the Motherbucker in that Delorean did to people's ears and if

is anything to go by then oh my. Edited by Jobby

Flipping through some vids, and the IG stuff, are the oxygen tanks backstage just because Denver and SLC are at such a high altitude, or do we reckon this is what Matt's always doing during all the offstage time?

I thought Matt switched to a slight helium mix back in 2012 to preserve his range.

Ngl, I was there, and it didn't come over as hugely heavy. I think it being the first song too the mix wasn't spot on at that stage. The set definitely got 'meatier' as the night went on.

Yeah I definitely felt overall that his tones packed more of a punch during the second half of the set but i thought Assassin was fairly solid where I was. Maybe it was just the euphoria of hearing Assassin live for the first time that skewed my perception.

Of the 3 performances I saw, SBE was defo the least heavy. Think Clunge is right about it being first song mixing issues 'cos it was fucking mega at the O2 last year, didn't think the phase took away from it at all there. Crowd fun made up for it though, that first line is always so satisfying to sing along to.

Looking at the last handful of US gigs, I know they're not perfect. The length is sad for the expense, there's still a ton of filler, and NKOK is just a huge punch to the balls of (US-only, for some reason) fans.

But, it's also kind of exactly what we've been asking them to do since the Drones era got off to such a bad start, and I must say I appreciated it, while wondering why they decided to "perfect" the gigs just towards the end.

Adding TaB and Butterflies, while maybe not Showbiz and Assassin level, was extremely welcome.

The Psycho/Hysteria/Butterflies/PiB/SS stretch was exactly what I want the band to be, and the addition of TaB, and then Dead Inside instead of UD, made that stretch not feel like a drag.

I agree completely. Just small touches like that make a huge improvement.

Also, dang, you were at Red Rocks too?

I agree completely. Just small touches like that make a huge improvement.

Also, dang, you were at Red Rocks too?

I still can't believe I actually went. :LOL: Colorado is a pretty amazing place, though, and I got to make a whole week of it.

The venue did live up to the immensely high expectations I developed as a kid watching that U2 video, too. :love:

yeah, that venue is awesome and lived up to my expectations as well.

Denver is pretty fun too. I flew in Saturday night and spent Sunday, Monday, and half of Tuesday there. Did a bunch of museum-y stuff (Clyfford Still, Denver Art, Botanic Gardens, Museum of Nature & Science, Museum of Contemporary Art) and a couple of local breweries in town. Definitely plan on visiting again!

I missed out on the Botanical Gardens due to a late start on the first day. :(

We did mostly outdoors stuff: RMNP, Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, crawled through some cave with a candle, boyfriend got dropped 150 feet off a cliff into a gorge on a little chair, did the aquarium, hit the little shops in Estes. Ate a TON of great food.

Missed Casa Bonita for a second time, but ended the trip at The Fort, which I think cost us a day's wages but was *amazing* and I'll never love any other ice cream. :noey::chuckle:

I loved it out there, and was super bummed to come back home. Wish it wasn't a day long drive for us.

The concert actually being great wasn't something I was counting on, but was a very cool surprise.

I really hope they can keep their stage shows in line with this one and the T2L pyramid in the future. (But I know they won't...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...