NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

Um, wrong. Don't know if you were at the gig, but I was& it sounded pitch perfect from the first few rows- in no way did he struggle. I was happy to get DI in place of UD bc I'd already seen UD before & the acoustic seems to add nothing. Same with Handler- great as it is, I've already seen SS live. Handler was also great - none of the vocal struggles from videos I saw from last year. So maybe the audio doesn't translate well in recordings in general? :confused:

Or maybe being in the heat of the moment in the middle of a crowd with amps blaring at you gives you a skewed perspective of the sound :p

I wouldn't say it was worse but DI and The Handler both definitely had the same struggles as the arena tour - husky falsetto, bit short of breath and struggling with the higher chest notes. If you watch videos back it's pretty obvious, the audio was really clear.

Or maybe being in the heat of the moment in the middle of a crowd with amps blaring at you gives you a skewed perspective of the sound :p

I wouldn't say it was worse but DI and The Handler both definitely had the same struggles as the arena tour - husky falsetto, bit short of breath and struggling with the higher chest notes. If you watch videos back it's pretty obvious, the audio was really clear.

It's always funny when people think that videos somehow make Matt sound out of breath, his voice crack and his falsetto sound husky (regardless of camera/phone). Because it can't be that being at a gig doesn't really let you pick up all the details :chuckle:

Lol, my ears work quite well thank you. By your logic, the opinion of those actually at the gig counts less than those hearing a recording filtered thru machines that degrade & distort quality. Sure thing, I guess we should skip going to gigs & just rely on a band recording. :rolleyes:

It sounded exactly the same as all the other times he struggled, though; same places, same issues.

Because of that, I'm way more inclined to believe the videos. It would be impossible that everyone's phone/camera distorted every video in the exact same way.

I saw the last tour during the phase he was probably struggling some of the least, and he still had a terrible time with the ending of The Handler and KoC, and even Resistance.

Lol, my ears work quite well thank you. By your logic, the opinion of those actually at the gig counts less than those hearing a recording filtered thru machines that degrade & distort quality. Sure thing, I guess we should skip going to gigs & just rely on a band recording. :rolleyes:

Except that's not what I'm saying at all :chuckle:

From personal experience, I know that it's not always easy to have an accurate perception of all the details at a gig, especially when you're near the front. Whether it be because of the mixing, where you're stood, the venue, being too busy dancing/singing or just looking at things through rose-tinted glasses - it's easy to not hear/see everything. Hell, I had no idea Chris sang the Hyper Music chorus at Leeds Fest until I got home.

These phone reordings aren't all distorted messes from the mid-2000s, they're pretty clear. It's nowt to do with opinions, Matt factually had the same struggles as before. You can still think he sounds good regardless, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

You're aware that the loud volumes at gig distorts audio quality for those present as well, right? Not to mention that the mix is totally different depending on where you are at the gig. Or maybe you just can't tell when Matt's struggling? Because that's what it sounds like when I listen to the video which tells the following:

(
) struggles to reach the notes twice in a row

7s (
) ends the line early to avoid sustaining it which he's obviously struggling with

12s

(

) sings the high note in falsetto to make it easier, which he barely did a single time last tour.

27s switches to falsetto again

32s and again

41s and again

50s (
) doesn't sound objectively bad, but that's a telling sign he can't hit the note properly, and it sounds a bit funny as a result.

another sign of his struggles, the fact that he's missing cues, and the note isn't exactly pitch perfect as you describe it.

Here's a third video that shows the exact same thing:

I mean, he has a pretty obvious tell which is that he jerks his head to the side every time he struggles with a note. So the performance is far from embarrassing as someone described it, but also far from pitch perfect and free from struggle like you described it. He struggles throughout most of that song, and that's just a fact.

:rolleyes:

You're aware that the loud volumes at gig distorts audio quality for those present as well, right? Not to mention that the mix is totally different depending on where you are at the gig. Or maybe you just can't tell when Matt's struggling? Because that's what it sounds like when I listen to the video which tells the following:

(

7s (
) ends the line early to avoid sustaining it which he's obviously struggling with

12s

(

) sings the high note in falsetto to make it easier, which he barely did a single time last tour.

32s and again

41s and again

50s (
) doesn't sound objectively bad, but that's a telling sign he can't hit the note properly, and it sounds a bit funny as a result.

another sign of his struggles, the fact that he's missing cues, and the note isn't exactly pitch perfect as you describe it.

I mean, he has a pretty obvious tell which is that he jerks his head to the side every time he struggles with a note. So the performance is far from embarrassing as someone described it, but also far from pitch perfect and free from struggle like you described it. He struggles throughout most of that song, and that's just a fact.

It turns me on when you go full youtube links with timestamps on someone.

(

7s (

12s

(

32s and again

41s and again

50s (

Very detailed and strong evidence.

I remember the Berlin Lollapoloza performance was even worse than that.

(

7s (

12s

(

32s and again

41s and again

50s (

Wow, thanks for finding all those vids- now I don't have to go thru any trouble to relive my gigs - all I've gotta do is challenge you so you can do all the work for me! Much appreciated!

:LOL:;):p

Didn't he always have the tendency to move away from microphone by the end of the line?

Nah, I think he means the way Matt twists his face away from the mic while actively attempting a note. I think it's a strain thing, like a natural thing his head does when he's straining really hard? Idk. The moving away from the mic at the end of a note is just a technique to fade his voice out or avoid having to fully sustain a note without making it obvious tmk. Did it a lot during Survival iirc.

So the 2nd leg will begin in 4 days and will last 2 weeks for 9 gigs with two festivals. Based on the first two setlist i think the kind of rotation we will find will be

Resistance / Bliss / Map of The Problematique

The Handler / Stockholm Syndrome / Citizen Erased

Undisclosed Desires / Dead Inside

i think they might drop the all New Kind of Kick awful thing and replace it by...nothing or Man of Mystery if we get crazy