NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

I'm not sure if it is that neat to categorise tbf - not quite Drones given the near-year off between Krakow and West Palm Beach, but LP8 isn't out yet (and part of it may not even be written) so its not really the first part of that, and its still using last year's festival production.

Could in theory be like the 2005 Campus Invasion stuff, in that the 2017 tour is its own separate construct.

Almost bought into the hype and went to Red Rocks because "they have to do something special, it's red rocks!"

Glad I didn't. Another $100 gig ($300 if you want one of the front two rows) with a 15 song setlist (B&H and Take a Bow so of course people are going to excuse it).

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Almost bought into the hype and went to Red Rocks because "they have to do something special, it's red rocks!"

Glad I didn't. Another $100 gig ($300 if you want one of the front two rows) with a 15 song setlist (B&H and Take a Bow so of course people are going to excuse it).

From the clips they posted on Instagram that looked like the deadest crowd ever. Just standing there during KoC like they were at a Michael Bolton show.

Looking at the last handful of US gigs, I know they're not perfect. The length is sad for the expense, there's still a ton of filler, and NKOK is just a huge punch to the balls of (US-only, for some reason) fans.

But, it's also kind of exactly what we've been asking them to do since the Drones era got off to such a bad start, and I must say I appreciated it, while wondering why they decided to "perfect" the gigs just towards the end.

Adding TaB and Butterflies, while maybe not Showbiz and Assassin level, was extremely welcome.

The Psycho/Hysteria/Butterflies/PiB/SS stretch was exactly what I want the band to be, and the addition of TaB, and then Dead Inside instead of UD, made that stretch not feel like a drag.

And that "Tetris" stage was exactly the amount of "spectacle" I want to see from the band (although I did feel the visuals were pretty samey for most of the songs, even the hits. They really abused that "fading image of band" thing.)

The Drones arena tour was a mess. It absolutely killed the energy of the band and the crowd, the black outfits caused the band to blend in to both the stage and the crowd behind them, and it centered around some big prop moments... while leaving much of the rest of the gig feeling dark and cold.

The current stage kept the focus on the band, while still looking cool, instead of taking your focus away. I've really liked it since watching it debut in the festivals.

I actually found that, despite being mainly the same batch of hits, I enjoyed seeing them again, and was only really bored and waiting for it to be over during Madness (even more boring and pointless without the big finish, and after already seeing Dig Down) and surprisingly Uprising, where Matt just stood in one spot staring at his feet, and I realized I'm sick of the damn song. Not counting the filler.

I wish so much that they would stick with something like this instead of trying to one up the increasingly distracting stage gimmicks.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Looking at the last handful of US gigs, I know they're not perfect. The length is sad for the expense, there's still a ton of filler, and NKOK is just a huge punch to the balls of (US-only, for some reason) fans.

But, it's also kind of exactly what we've been asking them to do since the Drones era got off to such a bad start, and I must say I appreciated it, while wondering why they decided to "perfect" the gigs just towards the end.

Adding TaB and Butterflies, while maybe not Showbiz and Assassin level, was extremely welcome.

The Psycho/Hysteria/Butterflies/PiB/SS stretch was exactly what I want the band to be, and the addition of TaB, and then Dead Inside instead of UD, made that stretch not feel like a drag.

And that "Tetris" stage was exactly the amount of "spectacle" I want to see from the band (although I did feel the visuals were pretty samey for most of the songs, even the hits. They really abused that "fading image of band" thing.)

The Drones arena tour was a mess. It absolutely killed the energy of the band and the crowd, the black outfits caused the band to blend in to both the stage and the crowd behind them, and it centered around some big prop moments... while leaving much of the rest of the gig feeling dark and cold.

The current stage kept the focus on the band, while still looking cool, instead of taking your focus away. I've really liked it since watching it debut in the festivals.

I actually found that, despite being mainly the same batch of hits, I enjoyed seeing them again, and was only really bored and waiting for it to be over during Madness (even more boring and pointless without the big finish, and after already seeing Dig Down) and surprisingly Uprising, where Matt just stood in one spot staring at his feet, and I realized I'm sick of the damn song. Not counting the filler.

I wish so much that they would stick with something like this instead of trying to one up the increasingly distracting stage gimmicks.

Mmmm. You're almost making me regret skipping this little tour.

It's ok though, couldn't afford it anyway.

I honestly planned on never seeing this band again after the last tour, how the US gets treated, unless they came to my town. Which they don't anymore.

It was pretty last minute.

We ended up with the week off of work, had the tickets that my friend couldn't use anymore, and we'd always intended to go back to Colorado after being flooded out of our last vacation almost 4 years ago to the day.

We got to do a hell of a lot of fun things, and Red Rocks had been my bucket list venue since ever. Colorado has so many amazing places and things to do, and I was able to do some of them with reduced pain.

In the end, I just enjoyed the shit out of the gig, and believe I would have still enjoyed it without the amazing venue.

I will say the acoustics at Red Rocks were just killer, and such a relief after particularly Philly where I couldn't hear Matt sing or his guitar for like half the gig.

It's just frustrating to think that if I'd gone to the first leg of this tour I probably wouldn't have had the same experience. They need some consistency.

I'm still hoping that someone retrieved the big ass white balloons somehow after they immediately flew off the side of the cliff. Not sure how no one brought up how releasing giant ass balloons in the wind like that wasn't a good idea...

Edited by SerpentSatellite

This was sort of my make or break deal set of concerts after the Drones shows and they impressed me. I feel the same way as you. Although I still might skip next US tour and wait for these after shows. Shoreline was also the least I ever spent on Muse tickets and it's a quick drive away so there wasn't much at stake.

Matt was much more energetic than I was expecting at Life is Beautiful. Even though I knew what the setlist.fm would be, it was great to finally see Take a Bow, and that was the definite highlight for me. Does anyone know if Yahoo streamed the whole gig? I hope someone was able to record it.

also I still subscribe to #giveIWishICouldtoChris

+1 to that. Obvs would be the A4s like the album rather than the 2004-esque screams, but It'd sound great

Also, please Matt, change your guitar tone in the outro. Sounds way to "glitch-y "to me (for want of a better word)

Edited by LewisF

Atrocious mix, where's the guitar? It almost sounds like one of those "just drums + vocals" edits made with Audacity.

At least the vocals are really nice. The only part where this really bothers me is right during the song outro, before the usual closing riffs.

Also, please Matt, change your guitar tone in the outro. Sounds way to "glitch-y "to me (for want of a better word)

I... actually love that... :$

To be honest, I think it would be brilliant if they could find a way to place these kind of sounds into new songs.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Yeah, no question. Just that if Chris was doing it I think it'd be more likely to be album-like

Might be the wrong thread, but Rock Am Ring 2004 is becoming one of my favourite SS endings (dat scream). Somewhat ashamed that I'd never heard that performance until recently!

I... actually love that... :$

To be honest, I think it would be brilliant if they could find a way to place these kind of sounds into new songs.

Sorry for the double post guys :$

On that topic, the tone would well work well in places on other songs no doubt, but with the ending of SS, for me, you can't beat a big beefy wall of distortion :\mm/:

Matt's guitar tones during the "heavy" parts have been really flat for a few years now imo. Like...sure they're thick and low, but where is the EDGE?

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWTiMeVM8g&t=3m48s

Sure it was pretty cool for a few seconds, but it really makes the whole thing much less interesting. 4.25 and forward is just a sleeping pill compared to this: