leohz

NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

Shame Muse weren't playing tomorrow. What happened when ACL was cancelled in 2013 is the headliners and various notable acts did their individual shows in little 500-1000 capacity venue clubs.

Wonder what the set would've been ...map/resistance pib/bliss handler/ss etc

Matt did an interview with a local radio station and said they were going to "mix it up" tonight. Fury and Showbiz were soundchecked. No piano on stage. Wasn't expecting anything other than standard set but I guess we'll have a better idea when they play Osheaga.

Everyone's saying it was a huge overreaction? How bad was it really? ACL 2013 had the worst downpour I've ever seen (cars floating down the street) and they only cancelled the following day after the city said the park would take hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damages if the festival continued.

I live relatively close to Chicago and was thinking earlier that the Lolla crowd might be getting wet out there. I just read that Muse's set had to be aborted. Such a shame because it's been really dry weather around here for a while but T-storms have been in the forecast all week. What a lousy time to arrive. My thoughts go out to all the Musers who took their time and spent big money to see the band tonight.

Everyone's saying it was a huge overreaction? How bad was it really? ACL 2013 had the worst downpour I've ever seen (cars floating down the street) and they only cancelled the following day after the city said the park would take hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damages if the festival continued.

it was the lightning that killed it. a torrential downpour for a while, but really, it was the lightning. the peeps in the weather trailer had been worried about tonight since the team arrived on monday.

acl 2013 was on another level. i still haven't dried out after that. zilker park was destroyed.

all should be good for tomorrow, tho, lol. may even be a bit chilly.

I live about 150 miles east of Chicago. The storm that resulted in the evacuation has just arrived here in the last hour or so. Heavy rain and lots of lightning. No way the festival organizers could risk keeping the crowd out in the open with all that lightning in the area.

Everyone's saying it was a huge overreaction? How bad was it really?

The rain was great but they killed it once the lightning started. The storm passed after 20 minutes or so. Dom came back on stage and looked genuinely upset. I saw Chris stage left. I didn't see Matt or Morgan.

acl 2013 was on another level. i still haven't dried out after that. zilker park was destroyed.

all should be good for tomorrow, tho, lol. may even be a bit chilly.

So relieved I was there the week before and didn't have the festival cancelled on me due to weather. But I do remember how a ton of bands and the promoters banded up with the local venues to do a ton of intimate shows. That was really cool of them.

When I was reading a story the Chicago Tribune about last night, they had quotes from a guy who'd flown all the way from Australia to see Muse's set. I'd be pretty fucking livid at the Gods of the weather in that scenario.

I've also seen a Tweet from Matt saying he hopes they get to play it again next year as a make-up for this incident.

I've also seen a Tweet from Matt saying he hopes they get to play it again next year as a make-up for this incident.

a few years down the road...maybe. but, certainly not next year, unfortunately.

The next festival they play in the US is Life Is Beautiful in Vegas, right? Would likely be the same set they would have played last night and zero chance of rain.

I look forward to this sequence of songs live..

Psycho

Dig Down

Stockholm Syndrome

Just for the lols

I am really not a fan of The Killers, but that was a class move. And a pretty decent cover! Don't understand the hate, really. They did a nice thing to the band and the fans who were not lucky enough to hear them.

Is it getting much hate? I don't rate the performance much at all tbh but I recognise it was more of a gesture than a genuine attempt to do a great cover so I've no problem with it.

It's a nice gesture from them, I thought it sounded pretty damn good given how little time they had.

The vocals were intriguing...Brandon Flowers has a wider chest range than Matt, right? I thought he'd sing it with relative ease even in the original key but it looked like a bit of a challenge for him.

My guess would be that it's simply not a song he's used to singing, so he doesn't really know how to approach it. Like here in the same gig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDTphfPKtc&t=38s Goes up to B4s (possibly C at times?) all over the place, but he's clearly using a very different technique from Matt, which is why he probably struggles with much lower notes in Starlight. Or it's just about how he sustains notes. I think he's pretty shaky in that regard in general, and Matt is all about sustained notes.

Ahh, thanks.I remember first hearing The Man at Glastonbury and thinking how good his vocals were live. Listened to a few more clips from the Lolla show and it looks like he wasn't quite at 100%.

It's interesting to see the differences between him and Matt.

I'm not expert in vocal stuff but just judging from his body language it looked like he didn't know how to sing it

God the Killers look boring live :LOL:.

I mean, they're boring recorded but there's usually at least a touch of pizzazz live.

Saw the Instagram stories had photos of a rehearsal with the video blocks that have been used since Glastonbury.

Guessing its that with maybe an extra thing or two for stage show?

I've seen a lot of stupid shit coming from US fans lately. "They've turned a new leaf, this is the band I fell in love with!" kind of stuff. Precedent matters and precedent shows that the US shows will be/were terrible in comparison to everything else. The set will immediately improve when going up to Canada for a handful of shows and return to being the same old thing upon coming back down and Japan/Europe/Australia will be consistently above average and in some cases, significantly.

I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up just because Take a Bow and the promised Assassin got played tonight in Belfast. This is nothing notable. This is business as usual and I'd love to be proven wrong (not that it matters though since any improvements made to their touring habits in the US seem to be forgotten at the end of tours).

Edited by Alexander DeLarge