The best and worst of each album

Hat

Would you really rather have a pointless riff that ruins the flow of the record? The beauty of OOS is its diversity in tone and instrumentation

The point is, I'm not a fan of Screenager. I'd take just basically another song, say, maybe In Your World? I don't know. It doesn't necessarily have to be Yes Please or Agitated, just something else.

In Your World was written after the album was released.

But yeah there are plenty to choose from. Futurism, Shrinking Universe or Hyper Chondriac Music (including them both on the album would work imo) would be my suggestions.

In Your World was written after the album was released.

But yeah there are plenty to choose from. Futurism, Shrinking Universe or Hyper Chondriac Music (including them both on the album would work imo) would be my suggestions.

Again, DS/IYW was out just a tiny bit over a year a after Origin, so, I mean... IYW could've been a leftover like Futurism.

Again, DS/IYW was out just a tiny bit over a year a after Origin, so, I mean... IYW could've been a leftover like Futurism.
Yes but it was literally written after the album was released, it wasn't a leftover. Futurism was written in 2000 along with most of the Origin songs.

and Matt's French just sounds corny on "I Belong to You,"

That's the point and it's glorious :phu: Joint best song with UD by a mile for me. It's an oasis of fun in a dry desert of an album.

Never been a fan of Screenager tho.

Best song on Origin bar Bliss so I'm gonna have to give you a personal opinion infraction there m'afraid.

Just curious, if you'd rather replace Meg, what would you have close the album instead? 'cos it's literally the perfect closer

HCM could close the album imo. It could even become quite meaningful.

Hm, HCM might be the only other that'd work imo. Even then though, I feel like Meg's creepy, dark, grand sound is a better bookend for the overall vibe of Origin. HCM might actually be a bit out-of-place 'cause of how heavy it is emotionally, if that makes sense.

It's the kind of thing that'd be better suited to close something like Showbiz imo, even though it obvs wasn't recorded then.

You rate Agitated and Yes Please higher than Screenager and Megalomania? Not saying that the former two are in any means bad, but the latter pair are so much better imo.

Not to mention that Agitated and Yes Please were both Showbiz era b-sides anyway.

I guess they do have appeal in that they're heavier, harder rocking songs, but that doesn't always equal good. As for me, I still can't take Agitated 100% seriously because of Matt singing in the chorus about how "You do it to me sweetly, to my yeah-yeah." :LOL:

Literally no one said that though.

I did see one person saying there was nothing good about T2L apart from Isolated System and Animals. I counted that because it was close enough. What I was more shocked about was when Jobby initially had nothing good to say about Absolution, though I guess I shouldn't be shocked about that given that he's told me how much meh it is. :p

That's the point and it's glorious :phu: Joint best song with UD by a mile for me. It's an oasis of fun in a dry desert of an album.

Out of curiosity, how well does he do with his pronunciations? I'm no expert at French, though I do know Spanish pretty well.

Out of curiosity, how well does he do with his pronunciations? I'm no expert at French, though I do know Spanish pretty well.

Neither am I :chuckle: He's admitted a few times that his pronunciation's pretty awful and, from what I've heard, French-speaking fans don't seem to think he's wrong. Mine's about as good when I sing along though tbf.

Neither am I :chuckle: He's admitted a few times that his pronunciation's pretty awful and, from what I've heard, French-speaking fans don't seem to think he's wrong. Mine's about as good when I sing along though tbf.

Funny, pretty much my entire knowledge of French is from this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DCAFUerzs

And this isn't even French. This is just English with an outrageous accent.

Hm....

Showbiz

Single songs like Sunburn, Uno, Showbiz or Musle Museum are great songs.

As a whole album it has no flow. It sound like a teenie-band-album to me *runs away to hide*

OOS

It's like a different band is playing those songs! I have to admit, it was the first album I heard and owned from Muse,so it has a special place in my heart. I love its crazy-space-rock-elements, it has the excellent CE on it ..great final song, fits perfectly. I really like Feeling good, it's a good rendition. I liked it before I heard Muse's version and always thought it fits in the album.

Absolution

Great songs, I love almost every single one. Today I can say, like others do, it was a very good progression from OOS.Again, perfect last song on it:D

Second album I bought, and I was a bit didappinted back then :$ it was too dark for me, the end of The world-atmosphere...so I said bye-bye to Muse..:eek:

BH&R

I alboslutely adore Tab, great opener! But then "Starlight"..really? I like the song, but it doesn't fit after Tab..err, I have to mix good and bad..lol..For me it isn't Muse best album, but I love certain songs and the Flamenco-feeling.

Resistance

I don't understand the hate for it. As a whole album, ok, no real flow except..for me Ibty into Exogenesis-trilogy is ace! Sometimes I only listen those 4 songs..yes, Matts French is awful, anyone remember Taratata when they corrected his french spelling ;) But it suits the song like he sings it, so..Resistance, a great popsong (and I don't like many popsongs by Muse)

Undisclosed Desires and Guiding light...:rolleyes:

The 2nd law

Now I have a special connection to this album. It brought me back to being a fan and becoming a Muser, especially Supremacy. Many great songs, and it really happens when I listened to it (only skipping Big Freeze) that I play it again..

It's a mixture of genres, yes, and some songs like Follow me are great live, but not so much on record.

Drones

So back to rock! I like the idea of the concept album, tough without knowing it is one and knowing the story behind the songs, it is hard to follow the story...it's my second fave album, OOS is my first.

it is so sad..the beginning to Aftermath is so great, but then when the chorus kicks in...I wish it would be a more complex song, not a simple pop-singalong-ballad...

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hullaballoo

I remember hearing some songs from it when I was working in an electronic store (I used to sell Cd's, DVD's..) in 2003 and I thought "How weird'" :LOL:

But when I bought all missing albums when I rediscovered Muse in 2015, I loved it! My faves are Hcm, Nature1, Map of your head and Shine acoustic.

bad thing is: many could/should have been on the albums and not b-sides. And those weird or genious songs are missing nowadays...

Edited by Claudia O.

And this isn't even French. This is just English with an outrageous accent.

Not far off IBTY tbf.

Someone mentioned doing live albums so:

Hulla

(+) The behind-the-scenes stuff. I'm just a sucker for it. I'd maybe prefer to see a bit more detail with backstage/on-the-road stuff instead of the erratic clips with no audio and...y'know...fishing, but it's still nice to see the band's dynamic away from the music and the lack of detail almost adds to the hectic, freaky vibes.

(-) Fucking editing, man. I feel like I'm having, like, five seizures per song.

Abso Tour

(+) The Groove In The States, particularly the more candid behind-the-scenes stuff but gotta love that club gig footage as well.

(-) The main tracklisting. Obvs Glasto was an amazing gig and one of their best ever but it's just the BBC broadcast...with less songs? The DVD would've stood out way more as it's own thing if it'd focused on Earls Court or even Wembley Arena imo.

HAARP

(+) The sense of occasion. Their first ever stadium gig and, with all that pressure, they fucking nailed it. It's just so satisfying seeing a band take that leap in their stride so well, as if they'd been doing it for years. Matt in particular takes on that stadium frontman role like a duck to water, using the catwalk and being all dramatic with the guitar-head thing at the end of Blackout. The more mature performance style in general compared to the first two DVDs suits the step up in venue perfectly imo. You can tell it feels like a special gig to the band and the crowd ('specially with them cute backstage hugs at the end).

(-) The picture quality. I can deal with Matt's tones but the graininess and washed-out colour, mostly during the daytime section, always leaves me wondering how much better it could be.

Edit: Oh, and leaving off Bliss, COD, SFA and Micro Cuts was a crime. 'Specially since we saw how amazing that MC performance was when it got released separately.

Live At Rome

(+) Camerawork and picture quality. Some of the shots combined with how the colour pops are pretty incredible (PIB, I'm looking @ you). The band and the crowd are in the frame together more often as well, making it feel a bit more connected. If HAARP could've been filmed like this...

(-) Set/tracklist lmao.

Edited by Jobby

If we're counting live videos:

Hullabaloo

Best: The tracklisting is great and it shows Muse at their peak of onstage energy, before the uses of pre-programmed synths and big screens and huge production value. The behind-the-scenes footage is cute, too.

Worst: The video's shaky camera angles give me a headache after watching it.

Absolution Tour

Best: This is arguably Muse's best show and the enhanced sound and camera angles from the BBC footage make it even better. The bonus tracks are also really good.

Worst: Why, oh why did they cut "Citizen Erased" and "Stockholm Syndrome"? :(

HAARP

Best: The tracklisting is phenomenal and Muse is great live as usual. Plus, this was back when Morgan didn't play on every single song or pointlessly join in on guitar, so that's another bonus. I also like the addition of trumpets, and the live version of "Take a Bow" beats the studio one by a mile.

Worst: I guess the fact that the colors are so washed out in parts of it?

Live at Rome Olympic Stadium

Best: The bonus tracks ("Stockholm Syndrome," "Unsustainable," and "Liquid State"). The filming is much more steady here, too, than it was in HAARP or Hullabaloo.

Worst: The pointless grayscale in parts of it. Matt singing without playing an instrument. Cutting out whole songs or parts of songs. "Starlight" as the closing track.

Dude, I'm pretty sure Morgan's involved on literally every track :LOL:

So he even made contributions on "Hysteria," "Apocalypse Please," "Feeling Good," "Time Is Running Out," and "Plug in Baby"? I mean, if he did, don't correct me about it; my point is more that he hadn't started to take over Matt's job yet like he seems to have done now. In their 2013 tour, he had more of a presence than Dom--see "Unintended."

(To be honest, I don't even know what he does on those songs I listed currently. They don't sound much different than when Muse were a three-piece band.)

I'll take decent over straight up garbage any day ;)
You know you don't HAVE to pick any of it, right? You don't need to stick to music that you think is decent. Just...listen to something else. We're not voting for a new president.

You know you don't HAVE to pick any of it, right? You don't need to stick to music that you think is decent. Just...listen to something else. We're not voting for a new president.

I mean, overall Drones is decent. But that's because it's dragged down by few really bad songs. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be decent, I mean come on, Handler, Psycho, Defector and Reapers are actually really good imo.

Personally I think that The Handler is great, Reapers and Dead Inside are good, and the rest of the album is....decent to awful. For me, the album is dragged down by Revolt, Mercy, The Globalist and Aftermath. A pretty big chunk of the album.

I had to read the lyrics to figure out that it was (meant to be) French, and none of my friends or family members ever figured it out by themselves. The only thing that sounds French is the "sez-moi" in "versez-moi l'ivresse".

But most opera singers aren't better at it.