People have been using "emo" to describe overtly whiny lyrics especially from male artists for a seriously long time.

And MCR always got way more shit than they deserved. I've also really enjoyed a lot of Way's work in comics, especially considering I haven't really been into superhero stuff since my teens.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

If we're being pedantic, 'emo' was a thing long before MCR even picked up their instruments.

Yay, genre wankery.

Yeah true.

I guess it was quite a brief mainstream phenomenon around 2006 or something, but maybe that's an outside interpretation of it.

Of course, it was born as a sub-genre of punk and it was way, way more crude and untamed back then.

Over the course of 90s and 00s, instead, it had begun to blend with pop-rock and other melodical styles, and the more "innocuous" and commercially viable sub-genre that's universally known today was obtained.

Well, they were never marketed that way, and let's be grateful about that. On the other hand, I think The Black Parade is a very solid album, more then some may think.

That's the understanding I got from a quick Google search, yeah. As far as I know, a lot of those punk sounds became more poppy around then - Green Day, Blink, skate punk, etc. Even if the version from the mid-2000s is different altogether.

I swear I recall Simon Amstell labelling Muse as pretty emo on Never Mind The Buzzcocks something like 10 years ago, and I remember some artwork pieces around Black Holes being a bit emo-y, but its not the right fit for them I guess.

Black Parade is actually a really good album.

Tbh I only know 2 songs from The Black Parade - one is the title track, which is brilliant, and one is Teenagers, which is a fun enough pop song. I only know a handful of MCR singles, although what I've heard is a good listen.

I wanted to go to the full weekend at Reading 2011 as I had the impression it would've been cool to see them live - Brian May cameo or not.

That's because people tend to confuse dark alternative rock music with emo. Blame Jimmy Eat World.

Seen Jimmy Eat World live opening for Foo Fighters. Good live band. The Middle and Sweetness are great tunes.

And what an avatar it is.

It's great tbh. No Devil and God tho.

People have been using "emo" to describe overtly whiny lyrics especially from male artists for a seriously long time.

And MCR always got way more shit than they deserved. I've also really enjoyed a lot of Way's work in comics, especially considering I haven't really been into superhero stuff since my teens.

Way is a great writer actually. I really dug Umbrella Acadamy. His last album was solid, too.

I like how some people saw the 16.04.2013 photo on Twitter and thought it was a cryptic reference to a surprise drop on April 16th/Easter Sunday.

Still, if we're speculating on a release, maybe something before the US Tour?

Easily.

This was a theory?

Yeah...maybe not a very well-thunk one now that I look at it again though...

Oh well, soon can't mean in a long time...right?

I am hopeful for a release today but braced for the inevitable disappointment. The fact there has been barely any prior promotion from the band for a release today to me indicates it was just the fans looking too far into it.

Then again, they could just do a surprise release. It's quite comfy being sat on the fence.

Yeah, that date thing was always a big stretch imo. They've posted up a few things like that lately, I figured it just linked into that marketing 'post your Muse photos competition' thing.

I expect we'll see something towards early May so they can capitalise on the media focus for some last minute ticket sales/tour promo.

Yeah...maybe not a very well-thunk one now that I look at it again though...

Oh well, soon can't mean in a long time...right?

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that.

I mean, any day for a surprise release would be weird, but it didn't really feel like a clue. Maybe it was for the NA fan photo competition like Jobby said.

You keep getting hung up on that, but has it ever occurred to you that the reason it wasn't released was because of potential legal issues? That shit isn't actually uncommon.

And the proper response is to make a "joke" video making fun of the fans continually asking about it instead of explaining it?

Or to tell the fans you're going to release Montreux instead and then not bring it up ever again?

When, especially with the latter gig, the fanbase was pretty riled up about it. It's not about the gig getting released (which I couldn't give two shits about, considering YouTube is still a thing) but about the communication.

Sooo anyone else's interest pretty much dead at this point? 4/5 months worth of pretty boring and minimal teases for, at max, 3 songs (and most likely just 1, at least for now) is starting to seem like a dumb decision to me. Plus, it's only gonna be followed up by a run of average US shows and fests.

Just feels like this year's gonna be one big missed opportunity.

Considering it was looking like it was going to be a full year of break, you could say something is better than nothing.

Of course, we haven't heard the song yet, and I suppose it could be worse than nothing. :chuckle:

The teasing about the song and then complete silence/pics of Matt/Dom's vacations are a bit odd, I guess. You think there'd have been more info after they got their fans hyped up, or at least more teasers.

The new US dates are disappointing, though, honestly. The cost of the tickets for what they're going to be is a bit much.

Considering it was looking like it was going to be a full year of break, you could say something is better than nothing.

Of course, we haven't heard the song yet, and I suppose it could be worse than nothing. :chuckle:

As things look now, I would've preferred them to take the year off tbh. Maybe use it as a chance to recharge their creativity and energy/desire for playing live. Would do more good in the long-term imo.

Edited by Jobby

I don't think any amount of time off is going to help them "recharge" or anything, as I think they're doing exactly what they want to do musically already, whether it's to our tastes or not.

I might have been thoroughly unimpressed with their last tour, and think that the price gouging on this new US tour is completely unacceptable, but still there were a ton of fans who didn't get to see them as they did such a short, limited tour in the US (not that this one is a ton better, but at least hits a couple missed areas,) and I wouldn't say making those fans happy should be sacrificed because I don't like what they're doing.

Is it a double headliner? The posters made it look like Muse was headlining.

Maybe similar to Carnivores, and on that tour 30STM played a shorter set (12-13 songs iirc) with no stage show, making it feel like Linkin Park was clearly the headliner (26 some odd songs.)

That tour also hit amphitheaters (with a band that was larger in the US) and didn't cost nearly $100 a pop in most markets.

I still think it's a crap move, and the band should have moved more towards smaller venues again instead of finding a way to play larger, more expensive ones, but this time without the extravagant stage show.

Especially since they so clearly enjoy themselves more in smaller venues and put on better shows.

I'm just bitter that this was finally the opportunity for them to do that big venue/small venue US tour Matt's always talked about, but they found a way to do BIGGER venues...

According to this person who talked to Matt at Coachella on Friday, we can expect "a single coming out soon".

But how soon is soon?

Supposedly Matt said (or the fan hazily assumed) beginning of summer. That can be June 21st in a literal sense, but hoping for earlier than that, like say...oh...May 20th in West Palm Beach! :D

According to this person who talked to Matt at Coachella on Friday, we can expect "a single coming out soon".

But how soon is soon?

Supposedly Matt said (or the fan hazily assumed) beginning of summer. That can be June 21st in a literal sense, but hoping for earlier than that, like say...oh...May 20th in West Palm Beach! :D

Aren't people sick of reading the word "soon" in relation to Muse? They could be waiting years

Is it a double headliner? The posters made it look like Muse was headlining.

Maybe similar to Carnivores, and on that tour 30STM played a shorter set (12-13 songs iirc) with no stage show, making it feel like Linkin Park was clearly the headliner (26 some odd songs.)

That tour also hit amphitheaters (with a band that was larger in the US) and didn't cost nearly $100 a pop in most markets.

I still think it's a crap move, and the band should have moved more towards smaller venues again instead of finding a way to play larger, more expensive ones, but this time without the extravagant stage show.

Especially since they so clearly enjoy themselves more in smaller venues and put on better shows.

I'm just bitter that this was finally the opportunity for them to do that big venue/small venue US tour Matt's always talked about, but they found a way to do BIGGER venues...

In the venue I'm seeing them at any other show has been close to that price if not more. They've played amphitheatre show before in 2011 which was a similar price range and that was for just them/.

Anyways you're not obligated to get up close. I got lawn seats for about $30 which is the least I've ever spent to see the band and really would not have bothered had it been more. Most of the venues have similar price ranges. Calling it $100 for everything is incorrect.