If we're being pedantic, 'emo' was a thing long before MCR even picked up their instruments.

Of course, it was born as a sub-genre of punk and it was way, way more crude and untamed back then.

Over the course of 90s and 00s, instead, it had begun to blend with pop-rock and other melodical styles, and the more "innocuous" and commercially viable sub-genre that's universally known today was obtained.

Tbf the same arguments used to be more about whether or not Muse were/are a pop band. Dunno if being an emo band is an improvement.

Were Muse ever marketed that way around the time emo was a big thing? (i.e. Black Parade-era MCR)

Well, they were never marketed that way, and let's be grateful about that. On the other hand, I think The Black Parade is a very solid album, more then some may think.

The song title "dead inside" seemed pretty damn emo. I admit I wasn't expecting it to be accusatory. :chuckle:

Yeah, it could be perceived like that, couldn't it? :LOL: But, you know, never judge a book by its cover (I'm looking at you, Madness)...

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

MCR's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is actually a fantastic album that has aged really well. It's filled with the kind of angst-ridden hard rock that Muse need to write more of.

I would love if some of that angst came through on this "acoustic" album, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Black Parade is a good alternative rock, pop/punk album. Emo is (and has always been) something else. I thought those kind of things weren't even labelled as such anymore :LOL:

Muse is the antithesis of an emo band anyway.

The Black Parade is a good alternative rock, pop/punk album. Emo is (and has always been) something else. I thought those kind of things weren't even labelled as such anymore :LOL:

I guess you would know, what with your avatar.

I remember when I used to play Left 4 Dead, I'd play music over voice chat for my friends with similar tastes. One day I was playing Showbiz and a randomer joined. He was kicked after he asked me to "stop playing that emo shit."