Yeah, I thought we'd get to hear a snippet and I actually got a bit excited, but then it turned out to be just gif! :facepalm:

That forked lightning coming from the figure makes me wonder if the lyrics aren't about contagion as in person to person, but more of broadcast from one person to many. Which just makes me think of current US politics even more. Have they said if the song is about this (my memory is terrible)?

Yeah, I thought we'd get to hear a snippet and I actually got a bit excited, but then it turned out to be just gif! :facepalm:

That forked lightning coming from the figure makes me wonder if the lyrics aren't about contagion as in person to person, but more of broadcast from one person to many. Which just makes me think of current US politics even more. Have they said if the song is about this (my memory is terrible)?

They haven't actually released any information regarding its lyrical content. They just said it was going to be "a great, rocking track", but I guess it could still be about our current society (and that doesn't appeal me so much).

They haven't actually released any information regarding its lyrical content. They just said it was going to be "a great, rocking track", but I guess it could still be about our current society (and that doesn't appeal me so much).

A great rocking track plus this artwork brings to mind one thing...

Danger Zone.

lol

A great rocking track plus this artwork brings to mind one thing...

Danger Zone.

lol

We're to expect anything from this. It could be fantastically bizarre, or it could be incredibly lame; plenties of fun, or trite sociopolitical banter... Anything.

I'm still giving them the benefit of doubt despite of what happened with DD.

Weezer are hardly renowned for the depth of their lyrics though, are they? The difference is while their lyrics are knowingly light and breezy, Matt's lyrics come across as actually being serious despite them being complete and utter nonsense to embarrassing ends.

Self-awareness trumps ignorance or indifference every time. I'd say Weezer are more self-referential or self-deprecating, sometimes to an irritating extent. Plus, Muse never have and never will write tunes like Buddy Holly, Dope Nose or Endless Bummer. They're not good enough songwriters.

Weezer is way too self aware (EWBAIT and White Album are solid tho) and Muse is everything but

I hold many unpopular opinions of Muse, one of which is that they would benefit from just a teeny, tiny smidge of self-awareness. I think Panic Station is an example of them doing it well. But, as will be in scripted on my tombstone, that's just my opinion.

Edited by EveryToilet

They always have been self-aware, actually. In both good and bad times.

You may be right. If so, I think it makes their Queen influences more appropriate. Queen really found that balance between respectable rock band while also being a ton of fun. Still, I think there's a decent amount of genuineness in their lyrics. I can imagine Matt writing "The fat cat's had a heart attack" and thinking it was some real good takedown. :D

Thought Contagion is the name of a book about the science behind how memes spread, so 99.9% likely this song is about fake news or similar current event.

And at least the lightning/lasers aren't coming out of Matt's dick this time, so I consider this picture a positive.