My god the air of pretentiousness here is intoxicating. Whether or not you enjoyed Madness and Dig Down is subjective; but to call them shit and accuse Muse of changing for bigger audiences and dumbing down is just stupid. Madness and Dig Down are both great tracks. I'd rather Muse do what they enjoy than making songs they don't for their core audience. All bands change and adapt and I'm sick of the negativity and whining here. I'd love some heavier stuff too but Muse do most genres they've attempted very well.

And it's both patronising and pretentious to just consider all popular music drivel and think that Muse is falling to a lower level. I mean, first, Dig Down is not a pop track. It's very different to that. I'd still say it sounds very Muse, just more electronic.

I'm excited for Thought Contagion regardless of the genre they're attempting. I'd actually dislike another Absolution because that whole album had a very similar sound and, while my second favourite album, if say it's the most samey, unoriginal, and safe they've done, with each song having that same bass and theme pretty much.

Whether or not you enjoyed Madness and Dig Down is subjective;
Quite right. But you know what's also, subjective?

but to call them shit... is just stupid.

This

Madness and Dig Down are both great tracks.

This.

Muse do most genres they've attempted very well.
And oh look, this as well.

And it's both patronising and pretentious to just consider all popular music drivel and think that Muse is falling to a lower level. I mean, first, Dig Down is not a pop track. It's very different to that. I'd still say it sounds very Muse, just more electronic.
You know you're basically just addressing one person atm, right? A person who isn't even a regular here. I'm pretty sure most people who have posted in this thread in the last couple of days enjoy quite a bit of pop music.

I was gagging for them to go full Paramore and release some out-and-out, unashamed pop when those original promo photos came out before Dig Down. Kinda feels like we’re heading towards another ‘we don’t really have any direction so we’re just gonna mess about’ case like T2L atm though, hopefully I’m wrong.

The ‘bands evolve, get over it’ argument is often a pretty naive disregard of criticism and doesn’t really work with Muse in the first place imo. Every album from Showbiz to Black Holes evolved massively and, bar the odd case of growing pains (particularly for some of BH&R) were v well received. It’s not like they were one thing for years and then suddenly changed, people just started to feel like there was a dip in the quality and creativity of what they were putting out. Hence why Drones isn’t exactly praised to the moon even though it’s the ‘return to 3-piece rock’ record they talked about for years.

if say it's the most samey, unoriginal, and safe they've done

I mean, not that I dislike it, but that’s easily Drones.

I adore Madness and quite like Dig Down, I'd be happy with another song in a similar vein. I'd actually prefer that over a '2.0' version of a beloved fan favourite, that was my issue with the build up over The Globalist, I (and many others I'm sure) got all hyped up over Matt's CE sequel comments and were somewhat let down with the final result.

Still, always hopeful the new song will be good/great.

I adore Madness and quite like Dig Down, I'd be happy with another song in a similar vein. I'd actually prefer that over a '2.0' version of a beloved fan favourite, that was my issue with the build up over The Globalist, I (and many others I'm sure) got all hyped up over Matt's CE sequel comments and were somewhat let down with the final result.

Still, always hopeful the new song will be good/great.

same.

It can't possibly be Madness 3.0 can it?

But when will Muse finally release their Gucci Gang?

I’ve got a really bad feeling about this song after seeing that very Dig Down/Madness feeling artwork.

I’m imagining a song that sounds like a cross between Madness/Dig Down/Panic Station.

I feel like the band is way too fruit salad nowadays and all their idiotic costume wearing and too much time around Jarrad Leto on that woeful summer amphitheater American tour they did has made them want to make bouncy in your face positive pop music with electronic influences.

Perhaps Drones was a bit like what Linkin Park did with Hunting Party; a heavier album to make the “Do Origin Part Two” crowd happy and now it’s back to the pop crap e.g One More Light.

You know you're basically just addressing one person atm, right? A person who isn't even a regular here. I'm pretty sure most people who have posted in this thread in the last couple of days enjoy quite a bit of pop music.

Yeah one person. Sure.

And I know what I'm saying is subjective, but at least I'm not just attacking my favourite band over every decision they make.

Yeah one person. Sure.

And I know what I'm saying is subjective, but at least I'm not just attacking my favourite band over every decision they make.

So, fearing that the new song will be Madness 3.0 means they consider all pop music drivel and think it's un-musey? And then a joke. Yeah sorry man, those examples do not prove your point.

I love Muse and all their music...besides about half of 2ndLaw and Dig Down.

Just because I love the band doesn’t mean I should just blindly love whatever they put out...I don’t dislike Dig Down for being electronic pop; I dislike it because it’s just very poor musically,boring live and lyrically unimaginative.

I don’t listen to Muse for half arsed pop music.

Don't fight all the the time and insult others! Everyone has his own opinion and can post it here, should happen without fear to get attacked (like a leo, my heart is split like...) :)

Somehow i am glad we didn't get a snippet of the new song so far, cause then the possible disappointment would be bigger! I am waiting for the announcement when and where we'll get to hear it first, I guess in Annie Macs show on Radio 1 in her evening show, and sadly Matt or Dom will be on the phone (cause in LA) talkin about it. And they had a photo taken at KROQ llast week or the week before, so they might have done an interview there.

So just JUMP ON THE HYPE TRAIN and stop fighting...

Matt shared this video on social media:

Fits the artwork for TC, so I'm guessing song will have similiar style

Just the video, maybe. We all thought DD was going to be in vaporwave style or similar by just basing our assumptions on the aesthetics alone, instead it turned out something different.

Therefore I feel it's really going to be a heavy, rocking track as Matt himself promised.

But was I really joking tho?

You were joking by being serious at the same time. ;)

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

accuse Muse of changing for bigger audiences and dumbing down is just stupid.

Except Matt has LITERALLY admitted to this, at least a couple of times that I can remember.

And the dumbed down lyrics are actually a big part of what makes their output more and more difficult for me to enjoy.

I don't give two shits if a song is heavy, or what genre it's in, I just want it to not sound like a grade schooler's book report on Info Wars.

And possibly not sound like it's sampling Madness.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Except Matt has LITERALLY admitted to this, at least a couple of times that I can remember.

And the dumbed down lyrics are actually a big part of what makes their output more and more difficult for me to enjoy.

Well... you know... at least he's honest.

Nevermind, it was on his fan page on facebook :LOL:

Now that explains it: if it's coming from FB, it's absolutely not by the real Matt. Matt has never been that active on FB.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider