It's actually one of the very few riffs I want to hear as a song. I was never a fan of the idea of using the Psycho riff in a song.

In the slimmest of chances they ever used it, i hope it would be sparingly either as an intro or outro riff ala the Micro Cuts outro riff. Regarding Psycho, I'm not upset they used the 030503 riff in a song, but they didn't do anything besides repeat it for 5 minutes which got really boring.

I probably have heard it, but does anyone have audio or video of the Vuilstamen thing?

Not sure how to embed videos, so here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZRjj-TmRFs

As you'll see, it was from the early 2000's, but they brought it back as an outro to Hysteria during the Drones tour.

I can just see it happening :ninja:

The riff's fresh in their minds after bringing it back a fair amount on the Drones Tour and I can see it working perfectly with some kind of latin-ish acoustic rock track ala COD, Recess and Nature_1. Plus, if this song ends up being what Matt was 'trying to write' just over a month ago then he hasn't had hella long to work on it so I can see him drawing on another old riff to finish it faster.

Not unlike when the Psycho riff came back live (albeit in C iirc) not long before they started writing for Drones.

......totally not just wishful thinking.

Edit: Also suuuuuper tenuous link and I'm no drums aficionado but Dom's Insta pic was talking about lack of snares and looked set up to record toms and Vuilstamen uses toms pretty prominently at the start and end I think(?)

Edited by Jobby

Are we even sure that pic wasn't just taken in Dom's basement? :chuckle: Little home studio...

Nah, looks like a proper professional studio to me. I feel like I recognise it but can't pin it down....

Doing some investigating atm :ninja:

We did it with New Kind Of Kick, dammit.

I don't think I've ever actually heard that riff before, wow. Love the part where the bass comes in. And it does seem a bit odd that they'd randomly bring it back (when was the last time it was played before that, anyone?) unless they were at least considering doing something with it. Hopefully they'll treat it with a bit more care than the Psycho riff.(if they do use it)

Nah, looks like a proper professional studio to me. I feel like I recognise it but can't pin it down....

Doing some investigating atm :ninja:

We did it with New Kind Of Kick, dammit.

I found this, so the studio is in L.A.?

https://twitter.com/musenewses/status/819784471264182272

The drums without the snares...I took it as a joke, cause the snares haven't been built up at the time of the pic..?!

Edited by Claudia O.

I don't think I've ever actually heard that riff before, wow. Love the part where the bass comes in. And it does seem a bit odd that they'd randomly bring it back (when was the last time it was played before that, anyone?) unless they were at least considering doing something with it. Hopefully they'll treat it with a bit more care than the Psycho riff.(if they do use it)

I think they played the riff in 2009 (maybe 2010 I can't remember tbh) just before Starlight iirc?

I found this, so the studio is in L.A.?

https://twitter.com/musenewses/status/819784471264182272

Bloody hell, I looked at Sound Factory and thought it looked right but didn't see that particular picture :facepalm:

Yeah, it's in LA. I assumed it would be since that's where they both live and Bing's there. Same place they mixed and mastered NKOK.

The drums without the snares...I took it as a joke, cause the snares haven't been built up at the time of the pic..?!

Nooo, he has full kit set up with snares in the room :chuckle:

He's just using a separate mini set up with three toms for recording a different part I assume.

Edited by Jobby

Nooo, he has full kit set up with snares in the room :chuckle:

He's just using a separate mini set up with three toms for recording a different part I assume.

Well, I'm no musician and never been to a recording studio :$ and didn't look at the pic properly :)

Not sure how to embed videos, so here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZRjj-TmRFs

As you'll see, it was from the early 2000's, but they brought it back as an outro to Hysteria during the Drones tour.

there's a proshot of it.

And there's a recent performance.

Thanks! It's a sweet riff, I don't think they played it when I got to see them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...