I'm honestly a bit a puzzled at the love Break it to me is getting. Are Muse fans so hungry for distantly reminding of something even a bit more out of the box/experimental that this (imo) in the end "just okay" track gets so much attention?

I'm more surprised that you just described the song as "okay". Not the sound of angels orgasming, not literal fucking cancer burn it, but okay.

I'm more surprised that you just described the song as "okay". Not the sound of angels orgasming, not literal fucking cancer burn it, but okay.

I can see what they were going for, and I appreciate the ambition to try something different but for a supposedly innovative track it's not really...that innovative or captivating. That said, it's not a piece of turd either.

But as maybe my top 5 in the previous post suggests I think in recent years Muse has been at their best with their pop hits (not all are so succesful, like Mercy or GUAF), with some exceptions (Isolated Systems, Animals at least in addition to the tracks I listed). I mean, the "experimentation" in the last few albums has been quite literally following what others have already done. BITM is a little different in the sense that while some influences can be spotted (RATM obviously), and they are breaking away from the mainstream rock/electro rock formula and the track stands out in that sense. But I just don't think it's particularly spectacular.

Final note, for me Muse staying in their lot is not a problem at all, and I don't crave sonical experiments in a way that would lead them away from standard Western pop/rock music as the previous albums have proven that they dont quite have the talent*/need or want/taste level for it. I moreso wish for better produced, more original take in the production- the writing is fine.

*I hesitate to use the word talent as I think Matt is an immensely talented songwriter/singer/musician but if he was a visionary in leading rock music to new paths I think it woud have emerged by now

Edited by sade

I mean, the "experimentation" in the last few albums has been quite literally following what others have already done.

That's a pretty good take actually. It's like Muse decided that they're done "experimenting" with the Radiohead/Queen/U2 sound and decided to start "experimenting" with the Prince/RATM/dubstep/synthwave sound. Which isn't to say that you can't create great music by drawing on other artists' work (everybody is influenced by somebody else on some level) but you have too be careful not to sound too derivative.

It's not really a new take though. Muse tried to do dubstep a few years after it got big, and this time they wanted to do the synthwave thing a few years after it got big. It's been the main complaint from many of us for a while now.

BITM is probably one of the most experimental and unique songs they’ve ever made

Yeah the guitar is Rage-inspired but the fusion of that and the phyrigian, pitch shifted vocal scales, the tribal drums, the ethereal chorus, the strings, nigh R&B verses, electronic bass wubs...?

Feel like among the full album release The Dark Side was forgotten about a bit. Heard it again and I still love it. Algorithm to Break it to Me is a really nice run.

The Dark Side is easily top 4 on the album for me, potentially top 2. It's just really good all the way through and feels natural. That run has my top 4, with Pressure being the exception.

I really like Something Human but it feels weird coming after Break it to Me.

I used to be the same but now I just see it as like a side 1/2 thing. Like Showbiz-Unintended, Micro Cuts-Screenager, Hysteria-Blackout, Animals-Explorers, etc.

Not that it matters since I’m not massively into SH and tend to skip it anyway :chuckle:

Difference is I don't really see Break it to Me as this really huge track that warrants a "cooldown" song after. Maybe the most similar to Hysteria which also didn't warrant any cooldown.

And style-wise the only one of those that I think is fitting is Micro Cuts->Screenager.

I really like Something Human but it feels weird coming after Break it to Me.

When I first listened to ST I thought "first a shock with Propaganda, and now this Break it to me-song.." and I was really relieved when SH came on after "those shocks" ( third and more worse shock was GUAF ) LOL:

Btw, I love SH from first listen... I like BITM now, I disklike this Propapropapropagandagandagandaaa in Propaganda, the rest is ok and great, but they are not amongst my faves from the album.

Edited by Claudia O.

As much as I enjoy The Void, it frustrates me a little bit. It builds up nicely in the "It takes a leap of faith..." part, and then abruptly changes back to the quiet intro style. I feel like there could have been a better transition there. The song ends up feeling a bit rushed. Could have had maybe 30 more seconds to flesh that part out more, and it would be a top tier Muse song.

As much as I enjoy The Void, it frustrates me a little bit. It builds up nicely in the "It takes a leap of faith..." part, and then abruptly changes back to the quiet intro style. I feel like there could have been a better transition there. The song ends up feeling a bit rushed. Could have had maybe 30 more seconds to flesh that part out more, and it would be a top tier Muse song.

It works in about the same way as Hoodoo’s middle section to me, don’t see owt wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, forcing myself to take breaks from the album is definitely paying off. Even songs like SH and TC are randomly popping into my head and nagging at me to listen to them. I only wish I'd had this level of self-discipline for the LP 2-4 trifecta, they might still excite me the way ST does now.

I have to say, forcing myself to take breaks from the album is definitely paying off. Even songs like SH and TC are randomly popping into my head and nagging at me to listen to them. I only wish I'd had this level of self-discipline for the LP 2-4 trifecta, they might still excite me the way ST does now.

I've been doing the same and fully agree. I had Drones on non-stop in the months following its release and totally burned out, same thing (to a slightly lesser extent) with T2L.

The breaks came naturally for me after a couple of days of intense non-stop listening. I felt the urge of listening to other artists and music genres and I've even discovered a lot of good shit (past and present alike). After "enriching" myself this way, I listened to ST again, and I loved it even more than ever (minus GUAF) to the point I almost couldn't believe it. I've never felt this way with Drones.