I also can't get over the fact that no-one stopped Matt from recording that final solution line in TC. And the way he emphasizes those words in the live version- the cringe is so strong.

Don't really know why some people hate that line so much. It's not the best lyric he's ever written but he's definitely written far worse!

Agree that the way he sings it like "fiNAL soLUtiOHHH" live is kinda whack though.

I guess it's to go with the "clean slate and buried war crimes" bit but it's just a little bit too...much. Although sometimes I read the news about tear gassing children and think well... :mad:

I imagine Matt knows exactly what the Final Solution was. I am distressed (but alas not surprised) that anyone doesn't.

I have listened to the album pretty well none stop since its release. Even songs like Break it to me i have made a point of ,as i have made it know that i dislike the song. Whilst there are some good songs, i have grown weary of it already. It's back to shuffle mode, to fight with all my music, Most Muse new releases i have played almost exclusively for the first few months.

Maybe pre-releasing the singles well in advance of the album may have spoiled it for me.

Fair enough. I'm sure they must know what it is. For the last few days I've just realised that a few of my friends don't know a few historical facts that I took for granted as common knowledge, so I was in that frame of mind when I suggested they might not know it.

But yeah I can see how it makes sense in that context. But the brace for it bit does stink, and it's still hard to listen to.

I mean, what? :stunned:. What the actual?

How can you not be aware of that, is all I can think :erm:

I'm gonna be completely honest with you and tell you while I assumed it was possibly something along the lines, I genuinely didn't know that was what he was actually referring too.

If you're actually wondering how come and thinking I'm a complete thicko, living in Australia we don't really focus on history from a European perspective in schools. It's very self-centred.

We learn about WWII and the Nazis yes but it's mostly just focussing on Australian involvement and the political and social climate in Australia at the time. Outside of that, the content is very limited to key dates - such as Normandy - and the things that are general knowledge - such as Auschwitz etc unless you choose to study these units in university (being at a music university, I did not).

We don't learn specifics and whilst we do learn about the extermination of large groups of Jewish people in death camps and the events that led up to it, not once in six years of high school did I hear it referred to as "the final solution."

Sorry if that's ignorant but if you're going to blame anyone, blame the public schooling system of this country.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you and tell you while I assumed it was possibly something along the lines, I genuinely didn't know that was what he was actually referring too.

If you're actually wondering how come and thinking I'm a complete thicko, living in Australia we don't really focus on history from a European perspective in schools. It's very self-centred.

We learn about WWII and the Nazis yes but it's mostly just focussing on Australian involvement and the political and social climate in Australia at the time. Outside of that, the content is very limited to key dates - such as Normandy - and the things that are general knowledge - such as Auschwitz etc unless you choose to study these units in university (being at a music university, I did not).

We don't learn specifics and whilst we do learn about the extermination of large groups of Jewish people in death camps and the events that led up to it, not once in six years of high school did I hear it referred to as "the final solution."

Sorry if that's ignorant but if you're going to blame anyone, blame the public schooling system of this country.

Not your fault mate, don't worry.

That's pretty bad but sadly not an isolated case. A lot of Japanese young people do not recognise the Nazi swastika and thus did not really understand when people started getting offended when confusing it with this otherwise unrelated symbol - 卍. Makes more sense since Japan was with the Axis powers but...uh you'd think they of all people wouldn't want the same mistakes of WW2 happening again...

Well it is, after all, European history. If you asked the average European about the civil war in the US or the Pacific war I don't think they'd be able to say much beyond "slavery vs abolitionists" and "Pearl Harbor".

Average European knows American history better than Americans

"slavery vs abolitionists"

And that's not even necessarily the correct way to describe the divide.

Average European knows American history better than Americans

I think that would depend. I had a decent course on US history even if there's still a lot I would add. Also certainly knew about the Final Solution.

I have listened to the album pretty well none stop since its release. Even songs like Break it to me i have made a point of ,as i have made it know that i dislike the song. Whilst there are some good songs, i have grown weary of it already. It's back to shuffle mode, to fight with all my music, Most Muse new releases i have played almost exclusively for the first few months.

Maybe pre-releasing the singles well in advance of the album may have spoiled it for me.

That's just about where I am with this album. I played it pretty regularly for a week or so but it didn't have much staying power. Mostly pretty forgettable. Even Drones got a lot more playing time although I admittedly paid a lot less attention to the second half.

Overall, I would just have to say that ST is OK. As in, I'm OK with listening to it but I'm pretty OK with not listening to it as well. I can't say that any of the songs on ST would crack a personal Muse Top 25 list.