Welp, Melon's review dropped. Turns out he found The Void, Algorithm, and Blockades tired and boring, which left him only Pressure through SH to actually enjoy (not surprised he didn't care for TC, DD, and GUAF). I was hoping he'd like the 80s / synth wave elements on TV, Algorithm, and Blockades, but sadly he did not. But at least he liked Propaganda and BITM, I had a good feeling he'd like those two!

Anyway, I still love this album. Take all reviews with a grain of salt, especially with Muse, because the odds are usually against the critics liking them in the first place.

Welp, Melon's review dropped. Turns out he found The Void, Algorithm, and Blockades tired and boring, which left him only Pressure through SH to actually enjoy (not surprised he didn't care for TC, DD, and GUAF). I was hoping he'd like the 80s / synth wave elements on TV, Algorithm, and Blockades, but sadly he did not. But at least he liked Propaganda and BITM, I had a good feeling he'd like those two!

Anyway, I still love this album. Take all reviews with a grain of salt, especially with Muse, because the odds are usually against the critics liking them in the first place.

It is only someones opinion. He is a critic on Youtube (yes, i get he has a lot of influence) but he is no more an expert than you and i.

It is only someones opinion. He is a critic on Youtube (yes, i get he has a lot of influence) but he is no more an expert than you and i.

I mean, yeah. I agree wholeheartedly. I was just disappointed as I had an odd feeling he'd like this album and be a strong voice of positivity towards it amongst all the youtube reviewers. Doesn't affect my thoughts towards it, but might get more people to check it out.

Like I care about a review but the profound thing I haven't seen much else outside the fanbase was how they've been trying to "remake" The Resistance since it was released. It's not really said explicitly here but it is in so many factors, like how every album since then has this cheesy fight song, the general unfulfilling mixing of influences post-BH&R, and to me the biggest: how live performance evolution largely stopped towards the end of the BH&R era. I think it means something a reviewer not really that into Muse could see it.

It feels like a much more defensible, if not rather accurate, description of Muse's last few albums. A nice alternative to the Sputnik review that started off with the self-amittedly baseless accusation that Muse intentionally make shitty pop songs to appeal to the masses inspired from their Twilight success. I don't know how that just slipped by everyone who called it fair.

A nice alternative to the Sputnik review that started off with the self-amittedly baseless accusation that Muse intentionally make shitty pop songs to appeal to the masses inspired from their Twilight success. I don't know how that just slipped by everyone who called it fair.

I don’t know about shitty pop songs, but I do feel like their SMBH/Twilight success was followed by them trying to appeal to large American audiences on the two following albums. Obviously not every song was aiming for radio play or stadium singalong status, but some sure seemed to be created with that goal in mind.

So I get that argument, even if I don’t think correlation and causation necessarily go hand in hand here.

That aspect has been pretty clear ever since they toured with U2, a band that is obsessed with being the Biggest, the Most Relevant and Highest Selling band out there with the Biggest Live Shows. Muse aren't completely out of touch and dated like they are (yet), but they've certainly persisted in what was once referred to as something like 'fist-clenching inclusiveness'.

Not really in the mood to derail the thread arguing that post but noticing the trends of their actual music is different that delving into motivations and implying that they are "willfully refusing to even try". It's a very loaded implication to have only one quote in retrospect as backup.

And riding off the tails of a larger band you look up to is like the very crux of growing audience as a band.

Not really in the mood to derail the thread arguing that post but noticing the trends of their actual music is different that delving into motivations and implying that they are "willfully refusing to even try". It's a very loaded implication to have only one quote in retrospect as backup.

And riding off the tails of a larger band you look up to is like the very crux of growing audience as a band.

Agreed

That line, as I already commented around the time of release, actually irked me.

I bet they weren't even trying (the irony!) of making up a serious arguement; to me it feels like a statement brimming with biased grudge and resentment because the band didn't take the direction they personally wanted. Which quite undermines the seriousness of their review.

I can't get over the riff of BITM. It's mixed so well with the bass to make a really satisfying sound.

I also can't get over the fact that no-one stopped Matt from recording that final solution line in TC. And the way he emphasizes those words in the live version- the cringe is so strong.