Aw a 6.0 from Pitchfork! Victory! :LOL:

And it’s a well-informed, well written review actually.

Though I disagree with their main point that Muse have always taken themselves too seriously. That was a problem with Drones, but not a theme throughout their catalogue. I mean, have they seen the KoC video? Have they heard Panic Station?

Also, I could have done without the inevitable Radiohead mention.

I think it's totally on point saying: "does that make it good pop, or are they simply less fun to kick around now?"

I remember being upset when Muse started going really over the top with stuff like USoE and Survival. Hell, I literally swore off Muse for a while after Survival because I couldn't believe they'd be so silly as to be unfun. But, well, 3 albums later I guess I've just accepted they weren't trying something new, they were finding who they were.

And it’s a well-informed, well written review actually.

Though I disagree with their main point that Muse have always taken themselves too seriously. That was a problem with Drones, but not a theme throughout their catalogue. I mean, have they seen the KoC video? Have they heard Panic Station?

Also, I could have done without the inevitable Radiohead mention.

I think it's an odd review with some valid if obvious points. There is a weird undercurrent of resentment in the text which makes the writer come across as obnoxious.

The reviewer uses a whole lotta words to essentially say, I guess:

-the album is approachable and poppy

-various references about that song reminded them of another artists and genres, the overall implication I guess being that it is commercial and derivative

Of course there is the far-fetched Radiohead reference just for the sake of it , other example of pointless snark being that "they get the lesser-known of Los Angeles’ major college marching bands to play on the alternate version of “Pressure" -what is the implication here, they are so second grade they couldn't get the better one, since obviously any college band would turn down such an offer...

Then what I guess is supposed to be the crux of the review, they say that the album's most succesful part is the right balance of camp and this is due to the band finally adding humour to the mix. This is a truly bizarre conclusion considering that Muse have always been intentionally cheeky, and the reviewer probably should be aware of this, having reviewed e.g. The Second Law. It's one of those instances of a reviewer pushing an alien narrative which makes you go "huh" to anyone familiar with the subject, the real reason for the paragraph I guess being making some "witty" punchlines. Second point I guess is "finally" admitting they are a pop band. This is a weird conclusion as well as Muse have done pop tracks since 2006. The rating doesn't really match the review as they don't compliment anything on the album- other than "right amount of camp" I guess. I mean, 60 is basically 3/5.

This probably comes across as I'm really pressed about the review, I'm honestly not, I just don't really think it warrants a "good review" label.

Oh and Exo-Politics and Blockades are both great. :happy:It's MK Ultra that is the blandest of Muse-by-numbers.

I think it's an odd review with some valid if obvious points. There is a weird undercurrent of resentment in the text which makes the writer come across as obnoxious.

The reviewer uses a whole lotta words to essentially say, I guess:

-the album is approachable and poppy

-various references about that song reminded them of another artists and genres, the overall implication I guess being that it is commercial and derivative

Of course there is the far-fetched Radiohead reference just for the sake of it , other example of pointless snark being that "they get the lesser-known of Los Angeles’ major college marching bands to play on the alternate version of “Pressure" -what is the implication here, they are so second grade they couldn't get the better one, since obviously any college band would turn down such an offer...

Then what I guess is supposed to be the crux of the review, they say that the album's most succesful part is the right balance of camp and this is due to the band finally adding humour to the mix. This is a truly bizarre conclusion considering that Muse have always been intentionally cheeky, and the reviewer probably should be aware of this, having reviewed e.g. The Second Law. It's one of those instances of a reviewer pushing an alien narrative which makes you go "huh" to anyone familiar with the subject, the real reason for the paragraph I guess being making some "witty" punchlines. Second point I guess is "finally" admitting they are a pop band. This is a weird conclusion as well as Muse have done pop tracks since 2006. The rating doesn't really match the review as they don't compliment anything on the album- other than "right amount of camp" I guess. I mean, 60 is basically 3/5.

This probably comes across as I'm really pressed about the review, I'm honestly not, I just don't really think it warrants a "good review" label.

Oh and Exo-Politics and Blockades are both great. :happy:It's MK Ultra that is the blandest of Muse-by-numbers.

Well yes, it’s still a Pitchfork review :)

Blockades is wicked, don’t sleep on it just ‘cos it has all the Muse tropes, embrace it

I like Drones but it’s maybe better than anything on that record for me, sort of what I wanted Reapers to be (not that I don’t like Reapers)

I was there! Only entered once just thought I'd rub it in. Joking aside I'm very limited for plus one options and if my only choice couldn't have made it I was going to offer it up to the board. I've lurked since 2007 and you get about Jobby most likely would've been you I picked. All hypothetical like but in another universe! Special night, now the proud owner of Dom's empty evian bottle.

Also I legit love Get Up and Fight. I see a change on the horizon, reasons to be frightened. Story of my life. :LOL: Don't hate me. :stunned:

In a way, this just makes me feel like I was even closer and still missed out :chuckle: but it’s v sweet for you to say you’d have considered taking me, thank you <3 maybe I’ll get a chance for something similar another day

Blockades>MK Ultra>Exo-Politics>Defector

Song with pretty similar roles on their respective albums imo.

True, I was also thinking of Defector.

I know Exo isn't particularly inspired but I don't think every Muse needs to be particularly "interesting". I've always just loved the chorus.

Also I legit love Get Up and Fight. I see a change on the horizon, reasons to be frightened. Story of my life. :LOL: Don't hate me. :stunned:

You're not the only one :)

Second that.

Depending on the day, I would maybe swap MK and Blockades, but yeah pretty much spot on.

I still maintain that the solo in Defector is one of my favourite things Muse have done and it belongs in a far far better track.

Edit: meant MK, not Exo

MK Ultra is the best of these four songs we're comparing for some reason by a country mile.

agree.

i guess i still don't know where i stand on this issue on those four, though.

i admit, all four tracks play similar roles on each of their respective albums...and all are not very good...but...

...in any event, i bet you dom demanded a track w/ semi-complex drumming on this album. blockades was the result.

right now, blockades reminds me of a mishmash of DT in the Octavarium era (references Clunge mentioned in the blockades thread) and, strangely, megadeth in the Risk era (which most megadeth folks hate).

as for ranking, i'd go for MK>>>Blockades>>Defector (for some reason, the guitar solos strike a chord w/ me on occasion)>Exo.

i don't classify Exo as utter garbage (yet it is trashy, make no mistake) like some on here rate it; i classify it as album filler. and it wasn't that poor live back at some of the 2006 gigs...just kinda...existed.

Edited by frutiger75
missed a parenthetical