After having listened far too many times the whole way through over the last 48 hours

The Dark Side

Blockades

Algorithm (Prefer AR but the regular is still boss)

Propaganda

The Void (Obsessed with the piano version though)

Pressure

Thought Contagion

Break it to Me (Think I prefer the remix)

GUAF

Something Human

Dig Down (The Gospel Version is SO much better)

As for where it sits in my list of albums so far:

Black Holes > Origin > Absolution > Simulation Theory > TR > Showbiz > Drones > T2L

If you need your account deleted CE, let us know and we'll assist happily :kiss:

Do you need a safe space while you've been triggered libby? So he cursed a few times, SO WHAT? Man up

I will say while I generally agree this is not a great album, although a better album than the greater part of the last decade of Muse output, he's completely missed the mark on AM and Tranquility Base

Edited by Saint Rockwell

Ok so after listening several times, I honestly can't rank them. I'll try my best below, only considering the album versions.

The Void is amazingly emotional and I feel like I can't put it with the rest. Much like Exo.

From best to worst with a definite gap in quality between Pressure and the last four:

Algorithm

TDS, Blockades, Propaganda, BITM

Pressure

SH

TC

DD

GUAF

And posters whose usernames begin with G don't know what they're talking about.

See, it's easy to make generalizations!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, WTF did that come from? :LOL: I mean, just on this board, the Americans here seem to like it just fine. And since when is Muse considered a stadium band in America :LOL::LOL:

edb37482bc23fcc18764ff3d8cc016a4

Do you need a safe space while you've been triggered libby? So he cursed a few times, SO WHAT? Man up

:LOL:

Nuclear take: Propaganda is one of the best songs on the album and is a great song overall, not only on the guilty pleasure-side.

Nah, it's awesome and my favourite song probably in the whole album.

I will say while I generally agree this is not a great album, although a better album than the greater part of the last decade of Muse output, he's completely missed the mark on AM and Tranquility Base

Lmao libby? Really?

Did we figure out which song the seven string was used on? I'm assuming Blockades but I'm fairly certain that it's in Drop D and doesn't actually need a seventh string to play

Quality-wise, I suppose I'd put ST about on par with Drones. The biggest difference is that Drones was front loaded with the better songs in the first half while ST sprinkles them throughout the album. The more guitar-driven sound of Drones is more my cup of tea but the new album has its charms.

Algorithm, The Dark Side and The Void have stood out so far for me.

Blockades and Pressure are a notch below.

Propaganda and Break it to Me, I'm not sure that I get at all. They're interesting to be sure but I haven't decided yet if I really want to listen to them.

Get Up and Fight and Thought Contagion are kinda generic but not as grating on my ears as Dig Down or Something Human, both of which I prefer the alternate versions.

At least, half the album will hold up well in concert depending on which half they decide to play.

Did we figure out which song the seven string was used on? I'm assuming Blockades but I'm fairly certain that it's in Drop D and doesn't actually need a seventh string to play

When we originally got those leaked snippets, I thought Blockades too but I’m pretty sure it’s BITM now.

You'll always be a noob <3

and you'll always be my queen <3

Enjoying the album a lot - too early I think to rate the songs but Algorithm is totally gorgeous and I discovered today that break it to me is perfect to walk home in the dark in the rain to.

I love all three versions of the Dark Side and after ridiculing Something human for the last few months and putting it on par with save me (yeh remember that one) I've found myself not skipping it on an album listen through as it really fits as a welcome wind down after the first 5 songs.

I am also a total sucker for piano so it makes me very happy for a few more appearances throughout the album (although I don't have high hopes for the piano being used much live).

I don't know how I feel at all.

Something about the vocals on the album bugs me all the way through, but I can't really put my finger on it.

I concur. They are far more in the front than they used to be and in parts, due to that, you hear things you usually dont hear e.g. you can a few times hear his tongue movements

Okay, I will attempt an album ranking. By going through each album and giving each track a rating out of ten (11/10 for any tracks that made my top 5 Muse songs last time I decided on them), I calculated average scores for each album, and the results have changed my previous album rankings.

Here's what I guessed before, without numbers:

1. The Resistance

2. Origin Of Symmetry

3. Drones

4. Black Holes & Revelations

5. Simulation Theory

6. Absolution

7. The 2nd Law

8. Showbiz

And here's what the numbers indicate:

1. The Resistance / Origin Of Symmetry (9.67/10)

3. Absolution (9.23/10)

4. Black Holes & Revelations (9.18/10)

5. Drones (8.78/10)

6. Simulation Theory (8.64/10)

7. The 2nd Law (8.58/10)

8. Showbiz (8.31/10)

The truth of how I feel probably lies somewhere between the two, but I've yet to sort it out. Doesn't help that my songs ratings on ST were tentative and timid. I love it to death, but I had to reassure myself I could rank the new songs on the same level as the old ones. All that's really holding ST down for me are DD and TC. Also I've not heard any of the alternate versions so that could also make a big difference.

Just listened to the album. I loved/liked almost everything Muse put out since OOS, but other than Reapers and The Handler I found Drones stale and disappointing and it was the first Muse album I didn't buy. I didn't think much of Dig Down either when it was first released and overall I began to wonder if Muse passed their use-by date.

Well colour me very pleasantly surprised; Simulation Theory is the freshest they've sounded in a while and there's already a good handful of songs I loved from the first listen. Dig Down sounds way better in the context of the album, as well. The only track I'm not keen on is Get Up and Fight which is way too generic for my liking.

Nice to be back on the Muse bandwagon, thanks boys... well middle-aged men really but whatever :)

When we originally got those leaked snippets, I thought Blockades too but I’m pretty sure it’s BITM now.

It's BITM

Damn, did anyone else see that Matt's studio (where he wrote and recorded ST) has just burnt down.

CORRECTION: Almost burnt down, probably damaged as fuck, a helicopter saved it.

:stunned:

...nobody hurt, right?

Something I find sad is that I think this album might be their first since OoS to not top the UK album charts. Both Imagine Dragons (ew) and Olly Murs (more ew) released albums today. A shame considering this is the first one since TR that deserves it

Matt was watching it live from a security cam. Looks like the flames were approaching it.

Phew, thank god. Still a big shame though, feels sad knowing the ‘home’ of an album I’ve really taken to has potentially been ruined. I’d imagine even worse for Matt.

Something I find sad is that I think this album might be their first since OoS to not top the UK album charts. Both Imagine Dragons (ew) and Olly Murs (more ew) released albums today. A shame considering this is the first one since TR that deserves it

I’m not too fussed, would hope Muse aren’t either. They’ve been in the album game for nigh 20 years now and were on that roll for 14 of them, they’ll know every act has it’s time at the top before younger acts take over, not to mention that the album (despite being more commercial in sound) is pretty risky by their standards.