Still early days, but for me

Absolution

OOS

BHaR

ST ~ TR (I'm gonna need some time to decide which I like more)

Showbiz

Drones

T2L

This exactly. Resistance might still slightly edge it for me, on account of MK and Exogenesis.

I definitely think I remember you! That was a long 6 hours, but totally worth it.

Sorry to jump in but there was another Raleigh person at SBE??? That's awesome. I had no idea there were other crazy fans here.

Oof, rankings:

BH&R

OoS

ST

Abso

TR

Showbiz

T2L

Drones

One of the things I’m most happy about on this album, how it’s bookended:

- best opener since TAB and 4th best opener overall

- best closer since Meg and 3rd best closer overall

- possibly 2nd best combined bookend, just behind New Born and Meg

And they even sound weirdly linked, despite no direct lyrical ties. One can easily flow right out of the other and restart the album again. So satisfying, really makes the album feel like an even tighter package.

One of the things I’m most happy about on this album, how it’s bookended:

- best opener since TAB and 4th best opener overall

- best closer since Meg and 3rd best closer overall

- possibly 2nd best combined bookend, just behind New Born and Meg

And they even sound weirdly linked, despite no direct lyrical ties. One can easily flow right out of the other and restart the album again. So satisfying, really makes the album feel like an even tighter package.

They definitely share some vocal melodies imo.

Wow, The Void (acoustic) is god damn beautiful, I can't chose which version I like more but hearing Matt's piano throughout is awesome.

Gonna wait for me super deluxe edition to listen to that. Still want something new to experience when I turn the lights down and stick the vinyl on :happy:

They definitely share some vocal melodies imo.

Hm, I shall listen out for this. V cool if so.

so what track are we gonna get mad at them for not playing live? my money's on BITM

I’m slightly worried for BITM too :(

Caved. Initial thoughts based on one listen:

Algorithm - the blend of beats, bleeps, strings and piano is beautiful. The strings are some of Muse's finest to date. Not QUITE as epic as I expected, but those huge drum beats at the stand and the 90-100-sec instrumental intro is going to be insane live. 13/10

Propaganda - finally, the pop song Muse have been trying to write for 12 years. This is just about the most brilliantly brash thing they've ever done. It's a masterpiece. It's every bit as ludicrous as I hoped. 17/10.

Break It To Me - as above, the kind of pop Muse have been trying to get right for ages. Very RATM the riff, very very VERY Prince the rest of it. Far more so than Propaganda. I totally get the shuffly Linkin Park vibe people were referencing too. 18/10

Get Up And Fight - what even is this? -57/10

Blockades - sounds like Muse covering Octavarium era Dream Theater, who were in turn, at that time, were trying to cover Absolution era Muse. It doesn't really come together as a cohesive track and it doesn't really go anywhere. Blegh. 5/10

The Void - NIN. Strings. Wubbity wub wub wubbage. WRROOOOOOOONNNGGG. 16/10

I saw a couple people ask about reviews for the album. As of this moment, the album has earned a score of 77 on Metacritic, based on 4 reviews (https://www.metacritic.com/music/simulation-theory/muse). Yet to be added is the NME review, which gave the album 4 out of 5 stars. I think my favorite line from the critique was when the author wrote, "...while 'Propaganda' is Muse taking the piss to the Nth degree; it's a vision that sees Matt Bellamy attempting to sound sexy atop EDM machine gun beats and Prince-esque liquid R&B. You'll be too ashamed to tell anyone just how much you love it." (https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/muse-simulation-theory-review)

So where are we on a consensus of Propanda? I love it but is it better than Dead Inside? I’m going with no.

It's a totally different song. I don't think it's a very fair comparison. Dead Inside is top 10 Muse for me, but I can see Propaganda getting up there too. Dead Inside is srs, dark, bleak, heartfelt. Propaganda is ridiculous, OTT, brash, and hilarious.

I just popped the CD into my pc. Holy jumpin!

Can't really say anything about the tracks on first listen other than I fucking love essentially all the unheard tracks except Get up and Fight(wow what a shocker right?). Easily the best album since BHaR and by miles.

1. OoS

2. BHaR

3. Absolution

4. Simulation Theory

5. Showbiz

6. The Resistance

7. The 2nd Law

8. Drones

Blockades - sounds like Muse covering Octavarium era Dream Theater, who were in turn, at that time, were trying to cover Absolution era Muse. It doesn't really come together as a cohesive track and it doesn't really go anywhere. Blegh. 5/10

Was surprised no one had mentioned this yet. That track gave me serious Octavarium vibes from the first listen, particularly 'Never Enough' vibes. Full circle, indeed. I feel like this is particualrly noticeable in the last few bars of the chorus. Very ,very reminiscent of Octavarium era DT.

Edited by s3ker

OK fine I'll try to do my album ranking.

Absolution

OoS

BHaR

ST

TR/Drones/Showbiz (it REALLY just depends on my mood)

T2L

I still listen to all of the albums, but T2L is probably the one I'm most likely to just listen to select songs instead of the whole thing front to back.