The main riff has a bit of Microphone Fiend in it and there’s obvs the solo but, yeah, that’s all the RATM I hear. Maybe the weird sci-fi whammy post-chorus bits? Looser tie that though. Don’t listen to LP so can’t comment on that link.

A lot of people compare Break It To Me to RATM but the whole song reminds me of ATS-era Linkin Park, especially the ending. When They Come For Me or Wretches and Kings.

This, exactly. Even the vocal melody of the verses sounds LP/Chester-ish to me.

Loved ATS by the way, for me LP definitely hit the right spot there.

The main riff has a bit of Microphone Fiend in it and there’s obvs the solo but, yeah, that’s all the RATM I hear. Maybe the weird sci-fi whammy post-chorus bits? Looser tie that though. Don’t listen to LP so can’t comment on that link.

It's that - the downtuning and the microphone fiend nod. But no RATM feel otherwise.

I'm waiting until tomorrow to hear the album. It's great to see so much positivity on the board though!

I don't want to come across like a "old/heavy Muse is best Muse" fan, but are there any rockier or mosh pit moments on the album at all? Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Muse's pop songs, but I just feel that they're at their best when they rock out (especially live), hence why I was a fan of Drones (well, most of it).

I just hope the pop/synth flavour that's been described by everyone doesn't weigh too heavily on future setlists and we don't get all the new stuff alongside Madness et al.

Anyone else already skipping Get Up and Fight lol

Also, double posting this from the Algorithm thread, but if Muse had built on the atmosphere and sound of Algorithm, TDS and The Void and made a whole album of dark, grand synth stuff with a prog/classical tinge and electro rockers like MoTP, it would have been fucking amazing

This is the album i want

I'm waiting until tomorrow to hear the album. It's great to see so much positivity on the board though!

I don't want to come across like a "old/heavy Muse is best Muse" fan, but are there any rockier or mosh pit moments on the album at all? Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Muse's pop songs, but I just feel that they're at their best when they rock out (especially live), hence why I was a fan of Drones (well, most of it).

I just hope the pop/synth flavour that's been described by everyone doesn't weigh too heavily on future setlists and we don't get all the new stuff alongside Madness et al.

I wouldn’t say so, no. TC is one of the heaviest rock songs on the album, put it that way. You can get a headbang going to bits of BITM and Blockades though.

Gotta be 100% honest though, I didn’t even really notice the lack of that ‘til I made this reply. It’s really not missed imo, album reeeally works for what it is.

I wouldn’t say so, no. TC is one of the heaviest rock songs on the album, put it that way. You can get a headbang going to bits of BITM and Blockades though.

Gotta be 100% honest though, I didn’t even really notice the lack of that ‘til I made this reply. It’s really not missed imo, album reeeally works for what it is.

Okay, appreciated. Still looking forward to hearing it!

As long as you can dance to the songs and they won't suck the life out of a gig.

These songs are much more fun than Madness. More along the lines of SMBH and MotP. They're not exactly rocking, but they're done in a way where I don't think you'll mind.

ETA: Actually, Blockades might fit what you're looking for.

Holy shit, Propaganda acoustic is seriously amazing. The instrumentation going on during the final part of the song is incredible. And this somehow has more impact than the normal version.

I personally feel like Propaganda is the type of song that could really get big on the radio.

These songs are much more fun than Madness. More along the lines of SMBH and MotP. They're not exactly rocking, but they're done in a way where I don't think you'll mind.

ETA: Actually, Blockades might fit what you're looking for.

MOTP is probably in my top 10 Muse songs so I don't mind that at all.

Been hearing about some RATM influence on Break It To Me too, so I'm excited for that. Even if it's not "heavy" it sounds like it's got that funk to it.

On the whole, most of the album is pretty decent. My favourite moments are the '80s synths of Algorithm and The Dark Side, the fun riffs and chorus of Pressure, the odd, wonky and funky Break it to Me, and the pumped synth-rock feel of Blockades, even if it is perhaps over-using those synths at that point. But it does still have a cringey clanger in Dig Down, Get Up and Fight jarringly sounds like a mediocre pop tune written by someone like David Guetta, and Something Human is yet another cheesy Matt ballad for the collection (done OK, but I'll never be in to them).

After a couple of listens, I'd say that it's their best album in a while (perhaps even since BH&R), but it's still patchy, boasts some really overly compressed production, and there's nothing that I'd hold up as being startlingly good to join their very best tracks. So... it's OK, makes for a fun listen and is certainly better than the last two albums. But it's not an album I can see myself returning to much in the future. Tempered enthusiasm.

Edited by Static Shadows