Also Blockades is def the "map-ish electro rock song" that Matt talked about. We somehow took it as TDS.

No, it was TDS. Matt said that in reference to what songs were coming out after SH - one being Pressure and one being the “map-ish one” which fits TDS miles better than Blockades tbh :chuckle:

join the club. either i'm old-skool or just dumb. probably the latter.

Know the feeling tbh. Listening to the leak early feels like peeking at your Christmas presents before opening them on Christmas Day, it just spoils the surprise for the actual day!

I don't get my own logic sometimes... :LOL:

SH acoustic is beautiful. I knew it would be. This should have been the only version of the song but I get synthing it up to fit with the album sonically.

Seriously if you didn't like SH and then you heard the acoustic version and didn't like it then wtf is wrong with you lol. Adore this song and style from Matt.

Also for you guys doing repeat listens, listen more closely to the stuff that's already been released. The 303-like synth in The Dark Side's been made louder in the mix, the guitars in Thought Contagion are louder while the chorus vocals are quieter, and Dig Down has new synths throughout.

to what are you listening? the mp3s or the FLACs (mind you, i listened only to pressure to see if they were quasi-legit FLACs -- saving the remainder for release day)?

in any case, those subtle changes wouldn't surprise me.

SH acoustic is beautiful. I knew it would be. This should have been the only version of the song but I get synthing it up to fit with the album sonically.

It is a bit bland, far more than I expected it to be :stunned: The normal version sounds much better in the album, with quieter synths on the chorus

My thoughts after an initial full listen front to back.

Algorithm: Everything I knew and didn’t know I wanted in a song from this album. 9/10

ARV: Even better???? 10/10

TDS: I still love this one and think it’s possibly one of my favourite Muse songs since Absolution. 10/10

ARV: Oooooooooft. I love this holy shit. The guitar solo is perfect and the piano ahhhh. 10/10.

Pressure: It’s a little repetitive sure but I’ve not had the problem that I know a lot of people have of finding it TOO repetitive to listen to. 8/10

Propaganda: I thought the little snippet sounded underwhelming but I actually really like it - “You make me offers I can’t refuse, you keep telling pretty lies you’re toying with the truth” is a good line and holy fuck that solo. The Panic Station of this album? 8/10.

Acoustic: I like it but I think the guttural propapropaganda bits are way out of place for an acoustic version so it loses a point for me :LOL: Still obsessed with that solo though holy shit 7/10.

Break it to Me: Probably going to take a few more listens to properly warm to this one but I like that it’s different. The chorus melody and Killswitch solo are pretty great too. 7.5/10

Something Human: Still don’t hate it, still don’t love it. 7/10.

Acoustic: A little bland but it's nice. 7/10.

Thought Contagion: I’ve always liked this one since it come out originally and will happily defend it. 8/10.

GUAF: It’s not… horrible? It’s not their best song by any stretch of the imagination but I’ve heard them do worse. The lack of proper transition from verse to chorus is really jarring though. I don’t really know if Tove Lo was actually necessary until the end of the song tbh. Also, unless Bellz has somehow radically vocally improved of late, there is some SERIOUS pitch correction :LOL: 6/10

Blockades: YES. YES. yES. Still feel like this is TR era Muse and Abso era Muse having a beautiful love child. That solo. 9.5/10.

Dig Down: Yeah still not arsed hey. Still don’t absolutely hate it but I could do without. 6/10.

Acoustic/Gospel: Same as Jools Holland version basically which I am very okay with. 8/10.

The Void: Yah this is very good. Definite Stranger Things vibes but I really like how the soundscapes of Algorithm and the Void are so similar, starting and ending the album in a cohesive manner. 8/10.

Overall: Better than I expected it to be. Love how they’ve embraced the experimental side in a manner where they haven’t just mashed 23618745 genres into one album but instead tried to keep it slightly more cohesive sounding as a whole.

Vocals are generally great, more guitar than I thought there’d be given the reviews, great to hear the piano make a few properly triumphant returns and more high points than low points. Gonna have to listen to it a few more times before deciding where it goes on my album rankings.

This would be one of their better albums for a full playthrough imo. Obvs v cohesive vibe throughout, generally good flow (BITM > SH aside, but that’s almost an Act 1/Act 2 split) and, if you’re my way inclined, v consistent quality.

No, it was TDS. Matt said that in reference to what songs were coming out after SH - one being Pressure and one being the “map-ish one” which fits TDS miles better than Blockades tbh :chuckle:

They might have changed what they were going to release. And blockades has drums extremely similar to map. Is a rock song and electronic. TDS isn’t really rock music. It’s synth wave and sort of rocky. Blockades is a rock song with electronic elements. Like map.

They might have changed what they were going to release. And blockades has drums extremely similar to map. Is a rock song and electronic. TDS isn’t really rock music. It’s synth wave and sort of rocky. Blockades is a rock song with electronic elements. Like map.

He tweeted it just a couple of weeks before filming the video. It was described as ‘rock-electro-synth’, all of which do make up TDS. When he mentioned Blockades, he just said it was a pretty standard old Muse rock track, which I’d say is spot on. Matt’s caught flack for descriptions in the past but I don’t see how or why he’d go from comparing a song to New Born to ‘electro-rock-map-ish-ish’. The drums aren’t really remotely similar either, idk what link you’re hearing there, Blockades is strictly triplets which Map doesn’t come close to doing at any point. I don’t mean to sound like I’m bluntly shooting you down but...it was definitely referring to TDS :chuckle:

He tweeted it just a couple of weeks before filming the video. It was described as ‘rock-electro-synth’, all of which do make up TDS. When he mentioned Blockades, he just said it was a pretty standard old Muse rock track, which I’d say is spot on. The drums aren’t really remotely similar either, idk what link you’re hearing there, Blockades is strictly triplets which Map doesn’t come close to doing at any point. I don’t mean to sound like I’m bluntly shooting you down but...it was definitely referring to TDS :chuckle:

I've only heard Blockades twice but there was a section that instantly reminded me of Map.

Not once during any of the 100+ times that I've listened to TDS has it even even come close to reminding me of Map. It's like saying Red Ferrari and a Red Corvette are similar because they're red sports cars. The tone of those two songs is so far off from one another its a ridiculous comparison.