Okay taking a breather before my second listen:

Algorithm is v interesting, surprisingly low-key for Muse - no big climax or owt like that but quite...brooding. Seems like an obvious like at first but I need to become more familiar with it and the structure to know how much if that makes sense.

Propaganda is probs one of their best pop tunes imo. The blues/country slide solo was unexpected but that, the acoustic scattered throughout, the sultry falsetto, the melodies, the slick guitar (or synth?) line backing them all make for a brill combo. Robot voice not as obnoxious as I anticipated and it used a wee bit more interestingly at the end with the glitchy pitch shifting tbf.

Break It To Me - even Fabri likes it.

GUAF - not as 'in your face' as I expected from the chorus, that v much bursts out of the verses. Very VERY pop though, Tove Lo used for one of those bubblegum-y 'ah ah ahhh ahh' hook melodies (poor description but you'll get me when you hear it). I love it, some v heartfelt lyrics about not being able to live without someone in your life considering the subject matter too.

Blockades - very very much a 'stock' Muse song someone online could make as a prank or parody but still very enjoyable imo, if not QUITE as much as I thought from the snippet. Verses have a fun, driving triplet beat and melody. Synth arpeggios fucking everywhere.

The Void - very atmospheric, brill piano use (which is back in force), least obnoxious use of 'baby's ever (from Matt at least), have yet to dive into the lyrics proper but they seemed quite intriguing. Quite haunting if anything, especially how it ends. Almost like a spacier RBS without the climax?

Algorithm alt - weirdly not THAT different to the standard version, just if it was being used for a film soundtrack effectively. And if this is Matt's audition for a film soundtrack (International aside), it's pretty impressive imo.

TDS alt - incredible. Light piano, haunting vocals, some synth, Globalist/Hate This echo-y slide use. Builds with strings to a climax, albeit still a v lowkey one by their standards then fades back again. Mega.

Edited by Jobby

I like it! Algorithm is great but the alt version is something else. It's a very ballsy album, I felt Drones while it had 'riffs' it was just luke-warm. ST is stupid but so nuts it really sells itself and commits. I'm a fan! Blockades sounds like the fake leaks that people make :LOL:

I don't mind GUAF. Way better than Revolt IMO, which was essentially a crap musical theatre number with that strange tempo shift etc. Somebody else said it too, but I think it sounds way more in the vein of Follow Me.

So which songs should be tour staples?

On first listen Algorithm and Blockades are the best

All apart from maybe SH and, depending on vox, GUAF.

Would obvs much prefer the gospel Dig Down but I don’t think that’ll happen

Praying for the alt versions at RAH even harder now

people who say it's better than Abso/BH&R are insane, almost as much as those who say the AR version of The Dark Side is as good as HCM

BH&R, nah probs not, Abso though....

Agree about HCM, tho I don’t think they’re miles apart at all and I can understand the comparison tonally

Edited by Jobby