For some reason everyone chose the TDS thread to do this but I’ll put my sum up/rank of the tracks so far here. Colour coded ‘cos # of >>>>s is, shall we say, vague.

(Meh | Pretty good | Really good | Great)

Pressure

Thought Contagion

The Dark Side

Something Human

Dig Down (Gospel) [i know it’s not the final version but it must be close]

Dig Down

This is why I said the album has potential to be my 3rd fave. Drones, Abso and Showbiz are all pretty close for that slot and they all have their big speedbumps (while generally being pretty solid and amazing at times) that ST hasn’t yet for me. No song I’m outright not into at all yet, multiple that I’m v into and we’ve still got my most anticipated songs (Algorithm, Blockades, alt. songs) to come. Plus the lead singles tend to end up more middle of the pack at best for me when the full album arrives, so if that happens here hoo boy.

I know I might sound stupid, but... What's the big offense behind smoledman's comment (beside the usual trolling, I mean)?

Because it totally flew over my head... :$

I mean, unless I’m an idiot reading it wrong (and not that it deserves the attention), is it not pretty racist? Saying white artists can’t appeal to ‘urban demographics’ (i.e. implying non-white people) and that they have to ‘dumb down the songs’ to attempt to.

Edited by Jobby

No one cares about album/single artwork anymore for the most part because everything's digital...

Love these out of touch sweeping generalizations.

I know I might sound stupid, but... What's the big offense behind smoledman's comment (beside the usual trolling, I mean)?

Because it totally flew over my head... :$

Not-so-thinly veiled racism.

There's absolutely no way to read what he wrote in a non-racist manner.

That's not trolling; that's just being a bigoted dick.

This. Although he could've said something like trying to appeal to the pop music crowd by dumbing down their songs (which they have been doing for years) without coming off racist as fuck. Jesus.

I mean, unless I’m an idiot reading it wrong (and not that it deserves the attention), is it not pretty racist? Saying white artists can’t appeal to ‘urban demographics’ (i.e. implying non-white people) and that they have to ‘dumb down the songs’ to attempt to.

Oh... oh! :eek:

Yeah, I get it now, but I'll confess that "urban people" confused me a lot (I may have a good knowledge of English language, but some choice or slang words are still alien to me :chuckle:).

And yes, I agree that's messed up.

Thanks to Jobby and everyone who "broke it to me"!

EDIT: I deleted that stupid wide smiling face because it was quite inappropriate considering the arguement.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Not-so-thinly veiled racism.

There's some really great articles out there about how album art has changed from, well, art, to branding in the digital age, how it impacts the artists involved, etc.

It's fascinating, but also rather soul crushing for some of the artists involved, and the loss of full album art as artistic expression.

Then again, I'm old, and I also bemoan the loss of instruction manuals with video games.

Of course it's not as extreme as "no one" cares, but the point certainly isn't out of touch. Loads of artists simply use the album artwork for the digital singles.

Of course it's not as extreme as "no one" cares, but the point certainly isn't out of touch. Loads of artists simply use the album artwork for the digital singles.

You’re definitely right. It’s just those generalizations affect people like Matt. Theres a band called Men I Trust that did an interview talking about how they put more effort into high quality singles rather than pumping out albums every year, and art definitely figures into that; also creates more buzz with more effort. Muse seems to have just gotten lazy by not doing single art for The Dark Side and Pressure.

Honestly I feel like I’m missing out on something here by not having an Instagram but at the same time it’s still just not worth getting one so I’m left in this place where I can’t really get hyped by any of these updates ‘cos I don’t understand them but I can’t really dismiss them either, despite sounding weird af, for the same reason.

I just want the song in my life now

Loved the gospel version of DD. Feel like it and the impeding acoustic version of SH (that will hopefully get rid of the Imagine Dragons drums and that synth thing that starts the song), has raised the possibility of eventually constructing an at worst palatable - and probably full-on enjoyable - alternative version of this album

Also I did an edit of Thought Contagion that cuts out the third verse and moves the pointless solo forwards so that horrible solo --> final chorus transition is removed. Also removed a chorus so the whole thing sounds less repetitive (I think).

Link for anyone who's interested: https://instaud.io/2LcF

"Urban" is always used by people who want to say "black people" and then be able to play the victim when people call them out as racist. Which they are.

"Urban" implies not just cities, but "inner cities" which are traditionally viewed as being the ghettos and high crime areas.

He knew exactly what he was saying, and it's despicable.