I don't know what happened to let Matt nail it on DI but he needs to bring it back because nothing else on the album came close.

My guess is that it's because the lyrics are so personal on DI. He's not just singing about drones and conspiracies, he's singing about a relationship.

But DI is that. At least the character's mental anguish is always cold, militaristic, and violent. It sets up the entire album for a reason. It has as much connection to the story, while still being personal, as Aftermath. But no one praises Aftermath.

The lyrics to Aftermath aren't bad, but the terrible delivery means that I will never be able to appreciate them while hearing the song.

The last line is utterly baffling

"loowwhhhhhhnlinuuuhhhhs. ..... . hhhhhuguuurrrnnnnn"

he managed to lose an s from the word "has", wtf

The whole album is about a relationship though, and DI also has the drones and conspiracy tone in it. It just blends really well, how I guess the whole album was supposed to be ideally.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I essentially agree with Serpent; DI is probably a personal song written about his own relationship/it's fallout. While it was messed with and rewritten to fit into the album's concept, at its core it retains this personal nature. I doubt that any other tracks on the album are so auto biographical, because even if they are still about a relationship, they're unlikely to be about his. This is all speculation, of course.

+1 on the DI comments. Also, I don't mind Aftermath, but this...

The last line is utterly baffling

"loowwhhhhhhnlinuuuhhhhs. ..... . hhhhhuguuurrrnnnnn"

he managed to lose an s from the word "has", wtf

:LOL:

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I essentially agree with Serpent; DI is probably a personal song written about his own relationship/it's fallout. While it was messed with and rewritten to fit into the album's concept, at its core it retains this personal nature. I doubt that any other tracks on the album are so auto biographical, because even if they are still about a relationship, they're unlikely to be about his. This is all speculation, of course.

I still hold the theory the album is, at its core even if not directly, a release of frustration of relationship issues (that we know did happen).

I also have always believed the "narrative" was a thin exterior put on what was a bunch of break up songs.

But, with the exception of DI, those songs were either written, or rewritten, in an overtly conspiracy theory/political manner. Matt's mentioned how he thought politics mirrored what was going on in his life, but that comes across completely sloppy and lacking in nuance.

Again, with the exception of Dead Inside. Other than the "unleash a million drones" line - which could have been added, or could be interpreted in a lot of non-literal ways - that song is painfully frank.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that not only are the lyrics better when the song is super personal, but the song is also better musically, as well.

I also have always believed the "narrative" was a thin exterior put on what was a bunch of break up songs.

But, with the exception of DI, those songs were either written, or rewritten, in an overtly conspiracy theory/political manner. Matt's mentioned how he thought politics mirrored what was going on in his life, but that comes across completely sloppy and lacking in nuance.

Again, with the exception of Dead Inside. Other than the "unleash a million drones" line - which could have been added, or could be interpreted in a lot of non-literal ways - that song is painfully frank.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that not only are the lyrics better when the song is super personal, but the song is also better musically, as well.

Just on the last point, I guess you're more likely to invest energy to get it right when it's so personal.

In finally reaching the agreeing point, DI's connections to the story are very mirrored to real life, instead of completely masking actual experience in the fictional conspiracy world. The last verse is a big part of the story but if you didn't know that it wouldn't make a difference.

In finally reaching the agreeing point, DI's connections to the story are very mirrored to real life, instead of completely masking actual experience in the fictional conspiracy world. The last verse is a big part of the story but if you didn't know that it wouldn't make a difference.

That last verse could also be indicative of the mindset that led to the narrative to begin with, and not the other way around.

It's a realization that your relationship has led you to become something you don't like, which is very real, and very relatable. I don't have any reason to believe that the "becoming a manipulative, cold person" ending to that song isn't based in reality, or was originally meant to be a lead in of sorts to a fictional "story."

In fact, I suspect being concerned about being too open about such things when writing the album is what led to the idea of the fictional story in the first place.

DI being a noticeable stand out on the album would seem to support that.

• 3 weeks later...

New IG video snippet in slow-mo with Dom recording "tribal" percussions posted by Matt.

I'll confess: to me, it's nice to see them playing with unconventional (for them, that is) instrumentation again. :)

EDIT: After listening to a sped up version made by a redditer, I definitely get some slight Showbiz/Endlessly vibe from it.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Matt thought Resistance’s drums sounded tribal tho so don’t trust a word that man says.

I don't know if you saw the snippet, but with "tribal" I really meant they're using African (or Asian?) drums.

Matt surely meant tribal for their speed and patterns, instead (Resistance's drums aren't exactly plain and straight, for the most part).