I think they're a mess of a band who is a vapid she'll of what they used to be and any hope of them showing even a glimpse of their former selves is now gone by the wayside. Also, they're my favorite band and I love them more than my own family. I think that's just how it works now. :D

This is a great post. All posts should be this quality.

I think they're a mess of a band who is a vapid she'll of what they used to be and any hope of them showing even a glimpse of their former selves is now gone by the wayside. Also, they're my favorite band and I love them more than my own family. I think that's just how it works now. :D

Well said +1

I think it's more that their sense of artistic direction is a mess, or at least that's how I interpreted it, and to an extent 6/10 albums are a byproduct of that. Without even going into the live side of things which is a whole other issue, I think it's understandable that some fans aren't content with 6/10 albums when the band have shown in the past they could be so much better than that, even while experimenting with new styles. What's messy is this kind of divide they seem to have made for themselves between deliberately catering to a more casual audience to seemingly try to 'stay relevant' if that's fair, and still trying to keep the old fans onboard.

The problem is that the fans/listeners/audience is too demanding these days! "Make a rock-album!" "Serve your older fans!" "We want songs like on OOS/Abso!"

We (or I) want this and want that blablabla....

People forget that they are artists, they have (or should have) the freedom to do what they want. People change, tastes change. If Matt feels like doing a more experimental album, so let him do it.

I loved Drones. Yes, I would be very happy if they'd stick to rock, but if they decide to do more pop or whatsoever now, ok. I might not like the new album or it might be a masterpiece or it might be mediocre, we don't know it so far.

Matt, Dom and Chris - not to forget Morgan - are excellent musicians and artists. The liveshows are still great, but different than in the early days.

Edited by Claudia O.

The problem is that the fans/listeners/audience is too demanding these days! "Make a rock-album!" "Serve your older fans!" "We want songs like on OOS/Abso!"

The only place you see those kinds of comments is Facebook though.

And yes, I demand more than 6/10 albums from any artist I listen to. It can't really be "too" demanding though. If I don't like something, that's not gonna change just because I was a fan of a band's earlier work *shrug*

This entire idea (that, yes, is rampant on Facebook) that because you're a "fan" of something you have to love everything about it or you're not a "fan" anymore is ludicrous.

I'm not going to give an artist a pass for putting out derivative, sub-par material because I loved their other stuff.

And this "you just can't handle change" "artists grow and evolve" thing really needs to be put to rest. Not just because it's a clichéd excuse, but because the band just put out an entire album that was supposed to be like their old stuff, and people still hated it.

It's not the style of the music people aren't connecting with anymore, it's the substance.

If Matt feels like doing a more experimental album, so let him do it.

Except that experimental to Muse means sounding more and more like generic radio music that everyone else is doing.

They've always been experimenting with stuff they hadn't done before. Now it just seems like the goal of the experiment is to sound unoriginal and remain popular in the US.

The only place you see those kinds of comments is Facebook though.

And yes, I demand more than 6/10 albums from any artist I listen to. It can't really be "too" demanding though. If I don't like something, that's not gonna change just because I was a fan of a band's earlier work *shrug*

I'm not on Facebook, but I've seen such comments on Twitter too.

There are good albums and bad ones. But just because there is, let's say 2 bad ones from an artist and the rest is great, won't stop me from listening or liking the artist - but only if the bad ones aren't the recent ones and no good one comes ever again :( then it's time to move on. Happened to me with Bon Jovi for example. I have all of their albums up to "Bounce" (which was :vomit: ) and no album after that was good (for me) so I stopped buying them and going to gigs.

Except that experimental to Muse means sounding more and more like generic radio music that everyone else is doing.

They've always been experimenting with stuff they hadn't done before. Now it just seems like the goal of the experiment is to sound unoriginal and remain popular in the US.

Yeah, I noticed this all of a sudden US-love ... many gigs there and more pop-ish sound. If the album will be a good mix of pop, rock, like it was on BH&R, I have no problem with skipping songs like Dig down. If 8 out of 10 are like Dig down pew...:$:( but I think it won't be this way.

There are good albums and bad ones. But just because there is, let's say 2 bad ones from an artist and the rest is great, won't stop me from listening or liking the artist

Which is exactly why some of us are still here ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say though to be honest :LOL:

For starters, your scores for the albums are entirely subjective, and touring "regularly" isn't really a measure of quality?

6-7 is an average from critics and fans. I didn't talk about quality, I was talking about messiness and they aren't a messy band by any means. They just aren't good as they once were

Muse’s biggest problem since Absolution has been the inconsistent quality of actual songwriting. Sound, genre, instrumentation and so on are immaterial if you’re trying to dress up a turn from the outset, never more evident than on T2L and hence why I’m increasingly coming round to Muse’s tacot conclusion that the best song on that album is Madness. It’s not my favourite but that comes down to the style in which it was presented. I could say the same for Follow Me which I think would work better as a straight up rock song (Disclaimer: yes, I know the band flipped it but we never heard that rock version so I am curious).

It’s also part of the reason I love Dead Inside so much. I just think it’s a quality and thought-provoking song where they got the instrumentation and crescendo just right. Matt’s best lyrical effort for years too. And I think you could easily reversion it in various ways and it would still work.

black holes 🤔

This mainly yes - I maintain Exo-Politics and Invincible are fundamentally horrible songs. Knights is fun but it really is just three chunks badly mushed together and really does fail to deliver until the final third (plus the lyrical are grim). Assassin also suffered badly from cenception to album.

I'd say The Resistance.

I’d say The Resistance has the weakest songs of any Muse album bar T2L, but there are quite a few poor songs dressed up in a style I enjoy. The only real exception being Resistance which is a bland song in every respect.

MK Ultra and US hit the sound I love about Muse, even if they are by no means among their best songs.

Gonna go ahead and kill any good will I've acrued on this board by saying that Drones has my least favorite songwriting. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, but I'm none too keen on the idea of a concept album by a band that has no grasp on subtlety. (We get it the nAME OF THE ALBUM IS DRONES PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!)

Gonna go ahead and kill any good will I've acrued on this board by saying that Drones has my least favorite songwriting. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, but I'm none too keen on the idea of a concept album by a band that has no grasp on subtlety. (We get it the nAME OF THE ALBUM IS DRONES PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!)
You'll be glad to hear that that was pretty much what most [of the vocal] people on here felt as well. Matt's lyrics have [mostly] gone to complete shit and the lack of subtlety was definitely something a lot of people mocked the band for, even outside the fandom. I mean just look at that cover...

Apparently Mutt, the producer of Drones, actually told Matt to dumb down the lyrics.

EDIT: Here are some relevant reflections from people http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?p=11706329#post11706329

Edited by Tjet

You'll be glad to hear that that was pretty much what most [of the vocal] people on here felt as well. Matt's lyrics have [mostly] gone to complete shit and the lack of subtlety was definitely something a lot of people mocked the band for, even outside the fandom. I mean just look at that cover...

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?p=11706329#post11706329

I'll stop packing my bags then! I've never been a huge fan of Matt's lyrics but that's not what drew me to the band in the first place but it just seemed very in-your-face on Drones. And oh...that cover... By comparison, I much prefer the 80s motif they've gone for with DD and TC to the "Do you get it?" Imagery from Drones. At least DD and TC don't seem as self-serious. (Also I love the 80s :facemelt:)

• 2 weeks later...