Unsustainable, Follow me.. then Madness and... ?

I know some people consider "Isolated System" to be dubstep, though in all fairness, I wouldn't consider either it or Madness to be such.

But anyway, 'Musestep' was embarrassingly shit so anyone who predicted it would be were correct. That's not 'hating', just successfully weighing up the strengths and weakenses of a band and seeing if they would suit a certain genre.

A fair enough assessment, though I was less talking about whether or not they could pull off the sound and more about the fears that the whole album would be a dubstep album, which were sparked by Muse's decision to troll us all by having the album's teaser only feature the dubstep song. Because really, the album is more of a symphonic-progressive-dubstep-disco-piano-driven-ballad-pop-hard-metal genre roulette, and Matt did warn us with his assessment of it being "christian gangsta rap jazz odyssey, with some ambient rebellious dubstep and face-melting metal flamenco cowboy psychedelia." :LOL:

What you're missing is that it's a Muse album in the 2010s.

And what's that supposed to mean?

A fair enough assessment, though I was less talking about whether or not they could pull off the sound and more about the fears that the whole album would be a dubstep album, which were sparked by Muse's decision to troll us all by having the album's teaser only feature the dubstep song. Because really, the album is more of a symphonic-progressive-dubstep-disco-piano-driven-ballad-pop-hard-metal genre roulette, and Matt did warn us with his assessment of it being "christian gangsta rap jazz odyssey, with some ambient rebellious dubstep and face-melting metal flamenco cowboy psychedelia." :LOL:

There wasn't any Dubstep on that album, just elements of tacky commercial dance as they were jumping on the bandwagon, like everyone else was.

Their teaser was probably the closest Muse have been to originality in a long time. If it had actually been full of that, it might have been half decent, at least interesting rather than yet another collection of weak pastiches of a variety of genres done far better by plenty of others.

Their teaser was probably the closest Muse have been to originality in a long time. If it had actually been full of that, it might have been half decent, at least interesting rather than yet another collection of weak pastiches of a variety of genres done far better by plenty of others.

Please see my response to fabripav above. :)

Isolated System has nothing in common with dubstep, not even the mainstream idea of it.

That's what I thought, too, but for some reason a few people seem to think that the bass part is reminiscent of it.

Plenty of people did, its similarities to Brostep caused a lot of people to have this idea they were doing a Dubstep album.
We're talking specifically about Isolated System though, which only connection to brostep is that it has bass.

We're talking specifically about Isolated System though, which only connection to brostep is that it has bass.

The connection is they were trying to replicate Brostep 'bass' with guitars, that's all. The idea they are Brostep or Dubstep is as daft as saying RATM is Hip Hop because Morello created sounds similar to scratching with a guitar. But in either case it was certainly an influence.

The connection is they were trying to replicate Brostep 'bass' with guitars, that's all. The idea they are Brostep or Dubstep is as daft as saying RATM is Hip Hop because Morello created sounds similar to scratching with a guitar. But in either case it was certainly an influence.
Yes, in Unsustainable. Not Isolated System.

Sure, "Brostep" sounds a little dumb, but I think the distinction between an artist like Distance and one like Skrillex is important to make.

And to bring the topic back to Muse. I'd say Isolated System reminds me more of Distance, and Unsustainable sounds more like Skrillex.

Sure, "Brostep" sounds a little dumb, but I think the distinction between an artist like Distance and one like Skrillex is important to make.

And to bring the topic back to Muse. I'd say Isolated System reminds me more of Distance, and Unsustainable sounds more like Skrillex.

Isolated System sounds nothing like Distance or Dubstep. Couldn't be any further away from it if it tried. If you want to define it as a genre, probably closest to Post-Rock, with the slowed down Motorik beat, use of strings and electronics, being a somewhat ambient track, use of repetition etc.

"Brostep" isn't just about making that distinction, its also criticising it for what is seen as its target demographic and how it effectively 'whitewashed' a genre that came from multiculturalism in Southern England. Its an insult.