New Kind Of Kick - #MuseHalloweenSpecial

projektxtal

idk man, I can't think of many others that can genuinely make me shudder like that one

Have you heard their album Drones?

edit:

Unleash a million drones

And confine me then erase me babe

On the outside I'm the greatest guy

Now I'm dead inside

---

Your mind is just a program

And I'm the virus

I'm changing the station

I'll improve your thresholds

I'll turn you into a super drone (super drone)

Your ass belongs to me now

---

But now I'm losing men in cloaks

Always seem to run the show

Save me from the ghosts and shadows

Before they eat my soul

And tell me why the men in cloaks

Always have to bring me down

---

You've got the CIA babe

You've got reapers and hawks babe

---

Your blood is blue and

Your mind turned green and

Your belly is all yellow

---

Our freedom's just a loan

Run by machines and drones

We live in a toxic jungle

Truth is suppressed to mumbles (:LOL:)

They'll take away our homes

They're just machines and drones

---

Now you can kill

From the safety of your home

With drones

Edited by fabripav

I will defend the 'greatest guy' line to my deathbed. I genuinely love that line in the context of the song and the album.

It is a couple of steps below "toxic jungle / truth suppressed to mumbles" from Revolt, but it still feels very "13 year old" to me.

I had to sit/stand through the song itself 11 times, and I still prefer almost anything from that album to that Dead Star line :phu:

That's actually crazy to me.

I know what you guys mean about that Dead Star line but in the very specific context of the song it does not bother me. Dead Star is violent and about exploring extreme feelings and reactions, which can be outrageous, politically incorrect and, to call things by their name, sexist in this case. Diving into the mindset of someone who's having such reactions (be it because they are genuinely sexist or because they're having an exceptionnal fit) does not mean you endorse those reactions and is a totally legit experience imo.

Now the cringey lines are another story.

"I'll show you a God who falls asleep on the job."

Muse have some of the worst lyrics of all time, frankly. The musings of a 13-year-old twat.

I remember saying years back as a reason why I like muse : 'The lyrics come secondary to the music, and that's... very obvious *snigger*

In the context of the song I think its fine. In isolation, maybe not.

But then there's lots of lyrics from all sorts of bands that when, written down and read straight without the music, read horribly.

I wonder if this got Muse and Rich Costey talking about working together for LP8. I know people have issues with him but I'd like to see it.

Edit: I mean as the producer.

Probably not.

Apparently he also mixed T2L and Drones, so he's still be in the fold, if not as much as on Abso/Black Holes.

I will defend the 'greatest guy' line to my deathbed. I genuinely love that line in the context of the song and the album.

Hated the line at first, then grew on me loads and love the lyric now :yesey:

Edit: although the toxic jungle/mumbles line is appalling

The Dead Star line works better in context of the song, because the entirety of the lyrics are pretty awful. Not sure that makes it better.

I'm okay with artists putting themselves in "characters" to explore dark and uncomfortable themes (if that's really what was going on here; that's an assumption to say the least,) but I would hope in doing that, there's some form of greater social awareness from it. If that makes sense.

Putting yourself into a first person "character" that reflects the inflictor of a very real, very common problem faced by an entire group of people and not giving any hint that it's supposed to be viewed as a negative behavior doesn't sit well with me.

Especially when it's an issue that many people don't believe is wrong, or a problem, in the first place.

The song paints one of it's "characters" as nothing more than an object, and the "protagonist" as a protector, and thus the good guy.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's a scenario that's so common irl, and which many people still think is fine, or even sympathetic. Like it's okay to be threatening to someone because they're supposed to submit to you if you're a "great guy."

The line in discussion is the very one that makes it obvious this song isn't just exploring dark social themes, and is actually painting the main character in a sympathetic light because he's genuinely a good guy with her best interests in mind, and she's just a bitch who brought it on herself.

It's not even close to being in the same "cringeworthy" category as stuff like "birthsqueeze" or "your ass belongs to me now." It's something completely different.

OT: I still have not managed to actually watch this new video... :unsure::chuckle:

Do it!! It's good for a laugh. :LOL:

I'm not, like, protesting out of spite of the band or anything, despite what it probably seems. :LOL:

I've just been dealing with such a mountain of shit every single day for the last few months that I know I'm probably not going to get the "joke." (Which of course sounds like I'm being a tad emo. :chuckle: )

Been waiting until I'm in a bit better mood. :(

The Dead Star line works better in context of the song, because the entirety of the lyrics are pretty awful. Not sure that makes it better.

I'm okay with artists putting themselves in "characters" to explore dark and uncomfortable themes (if that's really what was going on here; that's an assumption to say the least,) but I would hope in doing that, there's some form of greater social awareness from it. If that makes sense.

Putting yourself into a first person "character" that reflects the inflictor of a very real, very common problem faced by an entire group of people and not giving any hint that it's supposed to be viewed as a negative behavior doesn't sit well with me.

Especially when it's an issue that many people don't believe is wrong, or a problem, in the first place.

The song paints one of it's "characters" as nothing more than an object, and the "protagonist" as a protector, and thus the good guy.

Yeah well I don't know, it seems obvious to me that the person who speaks in the song is completely out of his/her mind and shouting shit. And that's interesting imo because as a listener you get a glimpse of that insanity for one moment. Trying to feel it, to understand it without approving of it or forgiving it. We don't even know the story behind it. I guess I've simply never felt like the song was trying to inspire me some sympathy towards the narrator or the idea that the other person was at fault.

I comprehend that being a guy makes it easier for me to interpret in an inoffensive way, though.

Yeah well I don't know, it seems obvious to me that the person who speaks in the song is completely out of his/her mind and shouting shit. And that's interesting imo because as a listener you get a glimpse of that insanity for one moment. Trying to feel it, to understand it without approving of it or forgiving it. We don't even know the story behind it. I guess I've simply never felt like the song was trying to inspire me some sympathy towards the narrator or the idea that the other person was at fault.

I comprehend that being a guy makes it easier for me to interpret in an inoffensive way, though.

Yeah, I assure you that, as a woman, this is the sort of thing that actually happens with alarming frequency with male friends.

Then it's not so much "insanity" as entitlement.

It made me reflect back on Muse songs and really look at some of the playing the victim stuff in a lot of them. Although, to be fair, stuff like Dead Inside is a lot more relatable to both sexes, and (hopefully) less problematic.

I really hope this track marks the way Muse is going to follow in the future. With Elvira the vampire and the monsters of the night.

Life is a fucker and we need more angst in Muse lyrics, in T2L the Universe was frozen into the Eternal Darkness and in Drones the Earth was destroyed in a nuclear war were only one guy and his girlfriend survive.

Some pussies would think that is angst enough, but i, and probably the real people out there, want the lyrics one step further. We are tired of just death and angst, we want Undead Angst.

It'll be a great theme for the next album. What are the zombies THINKING after the war? What are they actually FEELING while trying to eat the brains of the survivors? Are they going to live forever in a cozy comunity till the Big Freeze, or there are evil zombies trying to enslave them?

This is what the real fans want, guys.