Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

Initially I liked the Matt Blacks, in particular his first one from T2L but now they just look bland and they'res no guitars to make the performance varied because they'res no variation in sound between them. There's no longer a guitar that "really screams" or one that he uses for "heavy riffs only". What i'm trying to say is that it's time that mansons with their own character need to come back, because apart from the 4 new Whammy guitars, there's nothing really exciting anymore :stunned:

I'd like to think they will bring back some mirrors and laser nonsense see, but honestly I think it's just gonna be more Matt blacks.

We can hope.

Since everything's got that weight requirement there's probably no chance of lasers, going by the apparently crazy weight of the old laser guitar. But a cracked mirror chambered one with different colour LEDs in the body would be pretty cool.

We can hope.

Since everything's got that weight requirement there's probably no chance of lasers, going by the apparently crazy weight of the old laser guitar. But a cracked mirror chambered one with different colour LEDs in the body would be pretty cool.

I wouldn't mind seeing another cracked mirror one, but... he hasn't used one with that finish since 2007. Sad times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, all mine!

When I dropped by the workshop 6-ish months ago I asked about their plans on future runs of 7-string E-shapes, and Adrian mentioned that they had this spare body lying around, completely 'naked' still, just a bit of paint residu on it. So after mailing back and forth for a bit about the possibilities and what I'd like on such a guitar I decided to go for it and make it my very own custom E-shape 7 string.

I always thought the Xenokroma finishes looked amazing so I saw my chance and took it :happy: And Tim has done a fantastic job in creating the look that I had in mind, so I couldn't be happier!

That's awesome, do you have any work in progress pictures? It's not the one that had the three piece maple neck with ebony strips is it?

Here is a bunch of pics the guys sent me.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

IMG_003.jpg

IMG_004.jpg

IMG_005.jpg

IMG_006.jpg

IMG_008.jpg

IMG_009.jpg

IMG_011.jpg

IMG_012.jpg

IMG_013.jpg

IMG_014.jpg

IMG_015.jpg

As you can see Tim actually decided to pick a different scratch plate at the end because it looked better, and I'm glad he did :)

Haha yeah I wanted to make it versatile but still relatively straightforward in terms of use, so the mojo switches were a really nice addition.

Current tuning is drop A (so AEADGBe), with a .70 gauge for the lower string and 10-52's for the rest. Will probably also use it in standard B, but yeah :).

First I was planning on having a clear finish on the neck, but because there was some sort of glue residue near the neck join (circled in the first 2 pics) we decided to go for satin black instead.

Haha yeah I wanted to make it versatile but still relatively straightforward in terms of use, so the mojo switches were a really nice addition.

Current tuning is drop A (so AEADGBe), with a .70 gauge for the lower string and 10-52's for the rest. Will probably also use it in standard B, but yeah :).

First I was planning on having a clear finish on the neck, but because there was some sort of glue residue near the neck join (circled in the first 2 pics) we decided to go for satin black instead.

Just as long as it's not versatile enough to need labels.

Good move on the .070 - I think that works well for the low A. The CE-7 comes with a .060 as standard, but I always found that a bit loose tuned to A (works well for B though)

Satin black looks great. Probably a better match than clear.

Dare I say that I prefer that over certain other 7 string customs with copious amounts of knobs?

</3

Good move on the .070 - I think that works well for the low A. The CE-7 comes with a .060 as standard, but I always found that a bit loose tuned to A (works well for B though)

Yeah, I've got a .60 on the ali custom because of the trem tension, and it works fine, but the .70 on my black custom really is much much better overall. I actually just go with 10-46s for the other six now though. I had 10-52s on the MB-1 for a few years but eventually I realised I prefer the feel of the 'standard' guage on the thicker strings too. Nice guitar anyway.

</3

Yeah, I've got a .60 on the ali custom because of the trem tension, and it works fine, but the .70 on my black custom really is much much better overall. I actually just go with 10-46s for the other six now though. I had 10-52s on the MB-1 for a few years but eventually I realised I prefer the feel of the 'standard' guage on the thicker strings too. Nice guitar anyway.

:supersad:

Yeah that makes sense. Are they both in AEADGBE?

I've still got the 10-52s on my MB-1. I think the .052 works fine because it's in drop D, but the thicker 4th and 5th string are a bit high tension.

By default they are, yeah, but I change the tuning on the black one quite a bit really depending on what I'm playing. It's become my most flexible guitar actually, so I find myself playing it a lot at the moment, but I still love playing all three depending on what mood I'm in.